Let me start by saying that I'm a newbie: I've only had my Blackberry for two days, I'm sure there are hundreds of similar posts here, and I fully expect to get flamed for this. But I've Googled this for about an hour, I've literally cried in frustration, and I'm just hoping that someone here will take pity on me and help me out.

I just got a Blackberry Tour 9630, my first smartphone. I set up Gmail, Facebook, BB Messenger, etc. two days ago. When I installed the Blackberry Desktop Manager today and plugged in my Blackberry, it prompted me to update the device software. I did so, and now my BB Messenger is missing. Someone successfully sent me a BB Messenger message (he said it was delivered on his end), and my LED indicator began to blink red, but I cannot for the life of me find the icon anywhere. I looked in the main menu, under Applications, under Instant Messaging, under Downloads, literally everywhere it could possibly be. It's also not showing up as an option when I customize what the left and right soft keys do.

I already tried a soft reset (alt+right shift+del), and when it refreshed, there was still no icon. When I try to reinstall BB Messenger from BB App World, it says the application already exists (version 5.0.0.57).

My device software is v4.7.1.53 (Platform 4.1.0.65).

EDIT: Okay, when I go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications, I see the following:

BB Messenger 5.0.0.57
    BB Messenger 4.7.0

So I've definitely got two versions installed on the device (maybe it upgraded during the device update when I had it connected to Blackberry Desktop Manager?), but I still can't figure out how to get the icon to show up anywhere that's actually accessible. Please help me. I don't even care if you make fun of me at this point; I just want my freakin' icon back.

Thanks so much,
    Erica, stupid n00b of the day
    04-07-10 06:40 PM
    You don't really need an icon. Hold the Blackberry key for 2 seconds and scroll left and right to see if it is running. If it is not listed there than you may have a problem. I would start with that and if that does not work try uninstalling both apps under Options, Applications. Try reinstalling after the phone reboots.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 06:49 PM
    ok here is what I am thinking- go into options and then applications-delete the older version then do a reboot- see if that helps- if not go in and delete the other one- then do a reboot- when you boot back up get it from the blackberry website not app world. You can email the link to yourself. reinstall and that should do it.
    And I am not gonna mock you- we have all been there
    04-07-10 06:51 PM
    Thank you both SO much for the quick, helpful, friendly responses. I followed both your directions and ended up having to completely delete both versions, then reinstall. I've lost all my contacts, but it seems to be functioning correctly now, with an icon on the home screen and everything as it was before. (Wow, is updating the device always this buggy?)

Again, thank you both; I really appreciate it. If this is any indication, this forum is a LOT friendlier than some others I've visited.

Erica
    04-07-10 07:33 PM
    No problem. You shouldn't have any problems if you do the following before installing a newer version of the same app.

When installing over-the-air (OTA), start the install process and if it does not ask you if you want to replace version x with version y then cancel it, go uninstall the app, reboot and then install the new version.

You should be able to backup your BBM contact list, too. Open BBM, go to Options and then back them up. I keep mine backed up on my media card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 07:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD