will be on a cruise in February where i will have my bold with me -Southern Carribean and the mother in law will have it in Toronto looking after our daughter- will the BB Messenger between our two phones still be free?
    01-13-10 10:48 PM
    Your best bet would be go to the website of the cruise you are going to be on and see what kind of charges that might occur when using a cell phone or the cruise phone. I've read horror stories of outrageous charges when using the ship's cell tower when making calls and I dunno how much they would be charging for blackberry messenger,find out before you even set foot on that ship.
    01-14-10 05:09 AM
    My husband is an airline pilot and whenever he travels outside of the US I call up Verizon and put him on the Global Plan just for the days he is out of the US. It adds up to about $2/day but allows him to use the internet, emails, and blackberry messenger. He doesn't use the phone because it can cost 90 cents/minute or more. Also texting can cost 50 cents to send and 5 or 10 cents to receive. When he returns to the US he just goes back to his regular blackberry plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-10 06:26 AM
    will be on a cruise in February where i will have my bold with me -Southern Carribean and the mother in law will have it in Toronto looking after our daughter- will the BB Messenger between our two phones still be free?
    The ships use onboard satellite receivers to continue cell coverage. There is a fee.
    Sometimes, as you get into ports of call, you'll be able to use your phone, the ship turns off it's on board system whenever it's within range of a land based system (so as not to interfere).

Unless you've got a gsm phone, coverage from land towers will not be likely.
    Go to your cruises website, they usually have info in regards to cell phone usage fees.
    01-14-10 08:13 AM
    i am going on a Celebrity cruise next Sat and have ATT and this is what I think is the case:
    phone on the cruise is $2.49 per minute
    phone on the islands is $1.99 per minute - if i buy international plan, it will be $1.69 per minute
    if your phone is on, you will be charged for people calling you and then for your message going to vmail and then for checking the message (if you check it) -so turn your phone - or at least radio - off
    text messages are FREE to receive (if included in your plan), but cost 50 cents to send
    data cost is a fortune!!! so, either buy an international plan or use wifi (which means you have to use the ships wifi which costs about $30 for 45 minutes and is not available everywhere on the ship). If you use wifi - again, make sure everything else on your phone is turned off or you have it default to wifi or you will be charged for emails and bbms coming in.
    The ATT guy told me based upon my usage, if I don't use wifi and let all my emails come through, it will cost me about $90!
    I am finding all this shocking that in this day and age we can't use our cell phones on a cruise! ATT told me they used to have discounted rates on the ship, but the cruise ships stopped agreeing to this.
    I guess I will be incommunicado for one week.
    If anyone has different info or suggestions, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!! No Berry for one week???
    01-16-10 07:44 AM
    I think you'll find that, since people on cruise ships are basically a captive consumer audience, ships will gouge them at every single turn. You know how you go to Disneyland and a bottle of water is $5 and a frozen banana is $7? You ain't seen nothing yet. Cruises will rape your pocketbook and laugh in your face while doing it.
    01-16-10 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD