04-05-11 02:09 PM
151 ... 34567
tools
    Howard Stern can say anything he wants. I don't have to buy it, though.
    Howard Stern can say anything he wants. Nobody really cares though..

Of course with ANY phone you need to turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, update schedules as well as perhaps go to 2G instead of 3G. This advice can be found in EVERY forum..including this one. If Howards a noob like everyone says he is..then guaranteed he has everything on. I can assure you..Androids dont' drain in 4 hours sitting idle properly set up.
    False! I never turn off WiFi, GPS, and set apps to update as frequently as possible. I get far more than 4 hours out my Bold.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-27-11 at 09:57 AM.
    01-27-11 09:53 AM
    Do we really need to go thru the Torch forums that list exactly the same advice?

Of course with ANY phone you need to turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, update schedules as well as perhaps go to 2G instead of 3G. This advice can be found in EVERY forum..including this one. If Howards a noob like everyone says he is..then guaranteed he has everything on. I can assure you..Androids dont' drain in 4 hours sitting idle properly set up.
    Yes, you are correct. The difference, however, is that even with both devices having the same things on/off, the Torch will have better battery life. Turning those things off on a Torch will only make the gap wider.

False! I never turn off WiFi, GPS, and set apps to update as frequently as possible. I get far more than 4 hours out my Bold.
    +1
    01-27-11 10:21 AM
    Do we really need to go thru the Torch forums that list exactly the same advice?

I can almost guarantee that it's as close to the standard setup as any Android that left the store. So basically, his experience is about the same as a standard user that didn't spend months learning and tweaking Android.

I never turn off my BT or WIFI and my battery lasts all day. Stop spreading the Android "This is how all smartphones eat batteries..."
    01-27-11 11:03 AM
    Really?
    I think I like my BB a little better now,
    ofcourse I cant stand him
    01-27-11 12:04 PM
    If it makes you feel better, go with that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well, it's the truth...

4 hours is... I'd have to see it to believe it, to be honest...

My Vibrant consistently gets at least 16 hours and I use my phone moderately to heavily (which would be equivalently to extremely heavily usage if it had Blackberry level specs/hardware/screen size/battery drain). By the time the 15th hour is here, I'm going to sleep, of course... And my phone is plugged in (charges to full in ~3 hours or less I've never really clocked it).
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-27-11 at 12:17 PM.
    01-27-11 12:13 PM
    Yes, but a bold's hardware and battery drain is crap compared to a decent droid.

Also, some home screen widgets are known to drain power. The Exchange client in some phones are very agressive towards the battery. He probably has lattitude updating his location automatically, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was sitting in a building with hardly any reception while the phone was switching from 3G to Edge or something to save its life.

Could also be a bad battery...

Saying he has a DROID doesn't really say much either. For all we know he could have an HTC Evo 4G (Lol, wouldn't that be surprising) or some other HTC phone with a 1230 mAh battery in it...

The first paragraph I omitted because you have no idea how his phone is set up. You don't even know what kind of phone he has - at least I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread. All I see is DROID and that doesn't say anything. Even if it was a DROID, there are like 4 different DROIDs on the market right now being sold with dispirate hardware configurations/form factors and even different battery sizes.

My Vibrant: 92% Battery Left; Off Charger for... 2h 35m 37s

Sorry, 4hrs is simply unbelievable...
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-27-11 at 12:26 PM.
    01-27-11 12:15 PM
    Howard isn't the only one saying his battery lasts only 4 hours, Gary who just got his and another guy who's had his for a month, so it's not just Howard.
    Can't remember exactly what phone it is, but it has a slide out keyboard...Motorola Droid from Verizon I believe...could be wrong.
    01-27-11 02:45 PM
    4 hours means something is wrong, the moto driods get the best battery life our of the android powered devices for the most part
    01-27-11 02:53 PM
    I can almost guarantee that it's as close to the standard setup as any Android that left the store. So basically, his experience is about the same as a standard user that didn't spend months learning and tweaking Android.
    I agree. For whatever reason..when these things come out of the box..all those settings are turned on..notifications are set to sync way too often, and backlight timeouts are set high. Does this mean a person shouldnt tweak his settings to get better battery life?

Alls I was saying is that tweaking settings isn't only necessary in Android. The Torch forums are littered with people who have poor battery life (for a BB) and with people making all the exact same suggestions. And no..your Bold's and 9000's aren't comparable..seeing's how they run about as much resolution as an old VGA monitor..
    Last edited by Rickroller; 01-27-11 at 03:06 PM.
    01-27-11 03:02 PM
    I agree. For whatever reason..when these these come out of the box..all those settings are turned on..notifications are set to sync way too often, and backlight timeouts are set high. Does this mean a person shouldnt tweak his settings to get better battery life?

Alls I was saying is that tweaking settings isn't only necessary in Android. The Torch forums are littered with people who have poor battery life (for a BB) and with people making all the exact same suggestions. And no..your Bold's and 9000's aren't comparable..seeing's how they run about as much resolution as an old VGA monitor..
    LOL....back-tracking now?? You said

Originally Posted by Rickroller
    Of course with ANY phone you need to turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, update schedules as well as perhaps go to 2G instead of 3G.

But now it's not "ANY" phone, just the ones that make your case??

Howard isn't the only one saying his battery lasts only 4 hours, Gary who just got his and another guy who's had his for a month, so it's not just Howard.
    Can't remember exactly what phone it is, but it has a slide out keyboard...Motorola Droid from Verizon I believe...could be wrong.
    Oh well if Baba Booey says so then it must be true!
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-27-11 at 03:11 PM.
    01-27-11 03:07 PM
    LOL....back-tracking now?? You said

Originally Posted by Rickroller
    Of course with ANY phone you need to turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, update schedules as well as perhaps go to 2G instead of 3G.

But now were excluding a few of those "any" phones that prove you wrong??
    Ha..sure I guess I'll "backtrack". If you took my post to mean every single cell phone ever invented..then sure..that's obviously not what I meant. Doesn't change the fact that you still need to tweak settings on "most" phones.
    01-27-11 03:12 PM
    With a low resoultion screen and low power processor of course you get more than 4 hours.

Any Blackberry on the market cant be compared to high end Android devices.
    01-27-11 05:02 PM
    Ha..sure I guess I'll "backtrack". If you took my post to mean every single cell phone ever invented..then sure..that's obviously not what I meant. Doesn't change the fact that you still need to tweak settings on "most" phones.
    Yeah, that's what I took it to mean

With a low resoultion screen and low power processor of course you get more than 4 hours.

Any Blackberry on the market cant be compared to high end Android devices.
    Lolz..that's cute...a high res screen and high power processor that lasts <4 hours unless you turn everything off....you're so lucky
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-27-11 at 05:12 PM.
    01-27-11 05:04 PM
    Well Howard, what do you think about todays news. Time to get excited again.
    01-27-11 06:31 PM
    I agree. For whatever reason..when these things come out of the box..all those settings are turned on..notifications are set to sync way too often, and backlight timeouts are set high. Does this mean a person shouldnt tweak his settings to get better battery life?

The only change I make to our BB's is to turn off the Global setting in the connection settings and that's partially to keep it from prompting them whenever they restart it. You might be saying it's common to all phones, but many posters seem to think its a fluke or a bad battery whenever an Android user voices the battery complaint, even though its the biggest complaint from Android users.

And yes, Bolds and 9000's ARE comparable. They are doing the same job, although they both have their strengths and weaknesses. It's like saying you can't compare a Corvette and a Prius when the task you are looking to do is drive to and from work.
    01-27-11 06:43 PM
    so stern grabbed a Droid - and all he complains about is the battery life
    01-28-11 08:21 AM
    so stern grabbed a Droid - and all he complains about is the battery life
    If it works as well as my Milestone, it won't be long before it starts locking up as a phone, but keeps working every other way, so you don't find out until you try to call out, or somebody Emails or IMs you.

Back on my Storm. For all of it's flaws, at least it handles calls.
    01-29-11 12:18 AM
    And today Howard opened the show complaining that his Droid dies after four hours.

Sounds like my friend who got "tired" of his 1 year old car, and started to make up excuses, because he was checking out another model. I know he sabotaged his car by messing up the ignition,so he can early-trade in for a new one. He did all that to offer an excuse to his wife, why he needs another car.

I'm betting on that Howard Stern is also have his eyes on another phone already.
    01-29-11 12:37 AM
    Sounds like my friend who got "tired" of his 1 year old car, and started to make up excuses, because he was checking out another model. I know he sabotaged his car by messing up the ignition,so he can early-trade in for a new one. He did all that to offer an excuse to his wife, why he needs another car.

I'm betting on that Howard Stern is also have his eyes on another phone already.
    These are the kind of people who drives the banking system in our world today.
    01-29-11 02:07 AM
    I missed the show this week. What Android phone did he get? Will be interesting to hear his opinion on it.

01-29-11 04:38 PM
    its a droid but i dont think anyone mentioned what kind. I dont know either
    01-29-11 05:50 PM
    Ok, thanks. I'll have to catch up. I'm sure he'll talk about it more!

01-29-11 05:54 PM
    If it works as well as my Milestone, it won't be long before it starts locking up as a phone, but keeps working every other way, so you don't find out until you try to call out, or somebody Emails or IMs you.

Back on my Storm. For all of it's flaws, at least it handles calls.
    The Milestone is complete garbage. And for all it's flaws..even the Storm is/was better than that phone.
    01-29-11 05:54 PM
    The Milestone is complete garbage. And for all it's flaws..even the Storm is/was better than that phone.
    Agreed.

For me the only question is move to a Playbook tethered to a Style, or wait for the Monaco/Storm3
    01-29-11 07:01 PM
    I was watching an episode on Howard TV (OnDemand) where he talks about his new phone. It sounded like he got a Motorola Droid. Not sure which one tho. It's funny that he complains about the battery life because that's one of the main reasons I switched back from an Android (G2).

And what's crazy is that he hasn't even used the Sirius app so imagine his battery life after using that.

I do think it's funny that he only uses his iPad for pr0n since Jobs said Apple products aren't for that.
    01-29-11 07:16 PM
151 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD