04-05-11 02:09 PM
151 12345 ...
tools
    I could care less what some shcok jock says about anything. Or anybody who's not in any way connected to me.
    If I like something, I like it. Don't need anyone's validation for my choice of phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-11 01:18 PM
    Listen Guys, Ok.. Blackberry was once the best for smart phones but in the last 2 years i could honestly say that they have not had anything exciting about them BUT people still bought them because lets face it. MOST people are fanboys. They stay true to their brand for whatever reason they have. I was at a concert last night and how many blackberries did i see taking pics or recording the show? I seen at least 10-12 and i was pretty close to front so i couldnt see what was behind me. The ONLY iphone i seen was the guy in front of me and there were a couple android powered phones too.

Anyways, my main point here is that RIM WILL come back with great stuff. I think i can compare it when Intel was the king of performance for a very long time and all of a sudden AMD comes out of nowhere and has greater processors then Intel. And for the price? you couldnt say no to AMD. While still, people bought Intel processors just because they were loyal. And in that downtime Intel thought of some great stuff and hasnt looked back since.

A company cannot be King since day one. RIM is down for now but I know they'll be back with something to excite us. Besides, Howard Stern is a scumbag.
    01-16-11 09:36 AM
    RIM is down for now but I know they'll be back with something to excite us.
    Perhaps the behind the scenes at RIM looks something like this:

01-16-11 10:09 AM
    Listen Guys, Ok.. Blackberry was once the best for smart phones but in the last 2 years i could honestly say that they have not had anything exciting about them BUT people still bought them because lets face it. MOST people are fanboys. They stay true to their brand for whatever reason they have. I was at a concert last night and how many blackberries did i see taking pics or recording the show? I seen at least 10-12 and i was pretty close to front so i couldnt see what was behind me. The ONLY iphone i seen was the guy in front of me and there were a couple android powered phones too.
    So BBs outnumbered the other phones there, but you think that they all bought their phones out of loyalty? Not because they get what they want out of it? "I really like Blackberry, even though I really don't like THIS Blackberry..." YEah, sounds reasonable...

BTW, that's the general breakdown of phones I see whenever I'm out...
    01-16-11 12:08 PM
    Ultimately, the reason a person buys a phone means nothing to a company. A sale is a sale. Cash doesn't care for the state of mind of the person who spent it.
    And how does anyone know why a person buys something? I tried different phones and have kept them or let them go depending on my level of satisfaction. Why assume anyone does any different?

01-16-11 12:20 PM
    Whats going to happen to RIM is someone will buy them out like "Google" or "Apple" and incorporate there system into there products. You will have the Android with Blackberry IPhone with Blackberry etc. RIM is to far gone from the current trends to ever catch up now. Its just a matter of time until RIM keels over from lack of sales because of behind the time products. someone will take them over keep the name and ditch the phones and incorporate there servers/systems into there hardware.You will still have BIS App World etc only not on RIM hardware. Blackberry will be an added system enhancement. I give RIM 5 years and they will be eaten up GONE! Thats how I see it anyway.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 01-17-11 at 02:23 AM.
    01-17-11 02:11 AM
    RIM's demise has been predicted for a couple of years now. It's been predicted in quarterly increments. I guess they must be improving because now their demise isn't predicted until five years from now.
    If that happens I guess I'll use the iPhone 5 I may be getting in June, or maybe I would have bought an iPhone 5. Not touching the little robot maker with a ten foot pole. For now, all I care about is that my Blackberries work and I have new ones to look towards.
    Ultimately, not a big deal in my life. I wonder why it's such a big deal in certain people's.
    Really, anyone who could predict the future so well would probably be quite wealthy, having won the Mega Millions lottery game every single year.
    01-17-11 05:46 AM
    Whats going to happen to RIM is someone will buy them out like "Google" or "Apple" and incorporate there system into there products. You will have the Android with Blackberry IPhone with Blackberry etc. RIM is to far gone from the current trends to ever catch up now. Its just a matter of time until RIM keels over from lack of sales because of behind the time products. someone will take them over keep the name and ditch the phones and incorporate there servers/systems into there hardware.You will still have BIS App World etc only not on RIM hardware. Blackberry will be an added system enhancement. I give RIM 5 years and they will be eaten up GONE! Thats how I see it anyway.
    It's funny how all Rim is doing is selling more and more devices and adding more and more subscribers yet somehow people still think they are on their way out.
    It makes me wonder, after most androids will be dual core, what will they have left to improve on? Screen resolution will probably be too good for human eye to notice the difference, battery life maybe? It seems to me that everybody is in a race to reach the wall that no doubt they're gonna hit when there'll be nothing left to improve on.

01-17-11 07:33 AM
    They have 2.5 Billion in cash on hand, and have been buying back stock for a while now. Buying them would not be easy. Google has Android and wouldn't do it. Apple has iOS that is doing well. That leaves M$, and they seem to think that they will one day make a phone OS that doesn't suck on their own so I don't see this happening any time soon.
    01-17-11 07:47 AM
    They have 2.5 Billion in cash on hand, and have been buying back stock for a while now. Buying them would not be easy. Google has Android and wouldn't do it. Apple has iOS that is doing well. That leaves M$, and they seem to think that they will one day make a phone OS that doesn't suck on their own so I don't see this happening any time soon.
    Well WP7 doesn't suck and WM6.5 was about as good as Blackberry OS is, IMO.

There's a reason why RIM is moving to QNX, you know... They're the last ones that haven't made the transition yet to a platform that is more attractive for both consumers and business users.

I don't think RIM will sell out because they get enough corporate revenue to stay alive even if they lag behind in the consumer space and put out crappy phones.

Businesses don't care if the devices are the next best thing. They care if they work and serve the purpose. Nothing else is compatible with RIM's middleware (BES), so there isn't much choice there unless Exchange makes some incredible advances in the near future and eliminates the need for it (Exchange has improved, but it's not there ... yet).
    01-17-11 08:00 AM
    Are you kidding, WM6.5 about as good as BBOS?
    01-17-11 09:46 AM
    Well WP7 doesn't suck and WM6.5 was about as good as Blackberry OS is, IMO.
    The WP7 phones are sucking down 2GB of data a month when sitting idle and not in use. WM6.5 was so great that they sold a ton of them! I'd personally go back to a dumb phone before going to any phone that ran software made by M$. Just my personal opinion.
    01-17-11 10:27 AM
    Are you kidding, WM6.5 about as good as BBOS?
    Yes, I'm serious.

It had comparable performance and a better browser when compared to pre-6.0 BBOSes. With Opera Mobile it's still almost on par with BBOS6 for browsing. Flash Lite. Seven software for pushing non-Exchange email to the phone (works great, I've used it).

Windows Mobile has the most complete Exchange Support out of the box of any smartphone OS (disregarding middleware solutions like BES). Office Mobile. Outlook Mobile. Support for Windows Media DRM (Can Sync ZunePass Subscription Music to it). Bing for Search, Maps, Navigation and Turn by Turn Directions. Multi-Tasking, better menu organization than BBOS. Microsoft MyPhone. 1st Class Push support for Windows Live [Hotmail, Contacts with Presence Info in the Contacts App].

More diverse form factors and the potential to have better devices in 2009 than RIM won't be able to best until the end of 2011 (HTC HD2, e.g.).

Also, Windows Mobile supports installing Apps to the SD Card, so even if the phone has < 100MB device storage, you can simply pop in an 8-32GB SD Card and never worry about storage (apps or otherwise - high end WM6.5.x devices like the HD2 have ~600 MB of on-device storage free out of the box, and can use up to 32GB SD Cards).

Windows Mobile also has a much better development environment, and even supports J2ME (can run the Java Google Mail App on it, for example).

But hey, I still have an HD2 so if you want I can do a video comparison and upload it to YouTube when my Blackberry comes in Wednesday afternoon, if you want.

Curves ARE cheaper than most WM phones were, though, and of course if your business runs BES they will want you to get a Blackberry.

In any case, Microsoft is moving on, and so shall we.

The WP7 phones are sucking down 2GB of data a month when sitting idle and not in use. WM6.5 was so great that they sold a ton of them! I'd personally go back to a dumb phone before going to any phone that ran software made by M$. Just my personal opinion.
    A bug is a bug, and I think a lot of people drilled some of these issues down to Yahoo mail synching.

Also, using "M$" makes you look like a troll.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-17-11 at 01:31 PM.
    01-17-11 01:24 PM
    RIM's demise has been predicted for a couple of years now. It's been predicted in quarterly increments. I guess they must be improving because now their demise isn't predicted until five years from now.
    If that happens I guess I'll use the iPhone 5 I may be getting in June, or maybe I would have bought an iPhone 5. Not touching the little robot maker with a ten foot pole. For now, all I care about is that my Blackberries work and I have new ones to look towards.
    Ultimately, not a big deal in my life. I wonder why it's such a big deal in certain people's.
    Really, anyone who could predict the future so well would probably be quite wealthy, having won the Mega Millions lottery game every single year.
    Your making a big mistake. Android is far better than IPhone now. I own both and Android is much more flexible than the IPhone platform. Most of Androids apps cost only pennies or are free. Try getting Angry Birds for free on an IPhone.
    01-17-11 02:35 PM
    It's disturbing that the measuring stick for smartphones has become the price and availability of Angry Birds...

To quote MS, "Really?..."
    01-17-11 03:13 PM
    Not for all of us.

01-17-11 03:15 PM
    I know, but it sure comes up a lot like its a decision maker for many people.

Howard said he was meeting with Jon Hein to get an intro to Android. If anyone could present it in a way to make Howard like it, it would be Jon. Howard said Ralph's iPad lesson was a waste of time, LOL.

And just like Richard and Sal interviews from Rockefeller Center, isn't it funny how many obvious non-listeners were compelled to post something negative or derogatory about Howard...
    01-17-11 03:37 PM
    Has Howard talked more about his BlackBerry to Android decision? I haven't heard the show in a few days.

Well you can't really call them non listeners. They must have listened to have an opinion. #1 Answer of Stern haters when asked why they listen...I want to see what he'll say next.

01-17-11 03:40 PM
    Yeah, but Conan (the Flaming C) is sweet on the Torch, and he's got a decent gig on cable around 1 am. That's gotta be a notch above satellite radio?
    Coco only pulls 1 million viewers on average. Howard is reportedly listened to by about 60% of subscribers and they just passed the 20 million subscriber mark...
    01-17-11 03:41 PM
    Not to mention we PAY to listen. Conan is free.

01-17-11 03:44 PM
    Also, using "M$" makes you look like a troll.
    Says the one who doesn't even own a Blackberry and bashes the platform constantly on a Blackberry board
    01-17-11 03:46 PM
    Lots of people get their opinion from his media portrayal which is inaccurate, IMO.

I believe they were meeting on Thursday after the show, so of course there's no news yet. Wonder how long he'll keep doing Thursdays... Sorry, just a little irritated with Sirius right now after they shortened Howard's show and shafted Bubba, plus my S50 hasn't worked right since Friday night and I've spent all weekend trying to resurrect it and now I'm going to have to wipe it and lose all my saved songs and clips...
    01-17-11 03:53 PM
    Wow, you have the S50 still? I tried the first one that came out and it didn't work out for me. Gave it my parents. Did you try the Sirius App? It works pretty well.

01-17-11 03:59 PM
    I record the show and listen to it throughout the day. I hate catching the show in bits and pieces and repeats when its streaming. Plus it still irritates me that we used to stream for free and now have to pay thanks to the "consumer-friendly" merger. I was actually going to add internet streaming to my account until I found out about Bubba, now I'm going to buy a RadioIO sub instead.

For the past 5 years, I've gotten so much content from Sirius that I could barely keep up. I would get behind just enough each week to have fresh Howard content for Friday and Bubba recordings through the weekend. My S50 was always near its capacity. Now, I'm done with the show before I get home usually. The value keeps going down...

As quirky as the S50 can be, its worked really well for me. Being on the West Coast helps. I have most of the show recorded from H100 before I even get up. And they seemed to have abandoned the portable sat market so I'm glad I never upgraded to the Stiletto. It also had the ability to "Love" songs and save them to the device. That's my anger right now, I'm about to do a Factory Reset and lose 300+ songs that made an awesome mix.
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 01-17-11 at 04:25 PM.
    01-17-11 04:19 PM
    Your making a big mistake. Android is far better than IPhone now. I own both and Android is much more flexible than the IPhone platform. Most of Androids apps cost only pennies or are free. Try getting Angry Birds for free on an IPhone.
    iOS does still have more exclusive apps (those that aren't available on Android) and the Apps tend to look better, be more robust, and simply perform better as well.

I've scoured the Android market. The only things I could find worth paying for are Beautiful Widgets and Trillian for Android.

Most of the other stuff is either useless, buggy, redundant, or some $2.00+ game that I will be done with in 5 hours...

You get Angry birds for free on Android but you muse either:

1. Deal with Ads that in many cases block areas of the screen that you need to see while playing, or
    2. Use an ad-blocker and cheat the developers.

That's assuming the game even runs decently on your device, because Andorid devices come with all sorts of dispirate capabilities and performance points.

I wouldn't say Android is better than iOS, especially when you need your phone updated :P
    01-17-11 04:22 PM
151 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD