06-16-11 09:38 PM
109 ... 2345
tools
    Yes, but for those of us (in the UK and elsewhere) who bought the 9000 or 8900 on an 18 month contract sixth months beforehand and have been waiting for a worthy upgrade for eight months now (like me surprisingly) it makes no sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The 9700 and later 9780 was and is a worthy upgrade to 9000 and 8900, 9700 for example let's you do simultaneous data and calls over 2G, 9700 was the first 3G phone that could do both 3G and UMA calling, before only 2G phones could do both. Camera was much improved etc etc
    No offense but if I was Rim I would time the release with when early adopters are up for an upgrade, not the conservative ones looking a deal.

06-06-11 06:36 AM
    Yep. And what's even funnier (predictable) is the last three posts by iPhone4 owners defending baseless BGR rumours.
    Actually, I'm not defending anything BGR said. I don't take what they say as true until I see some credible information. I merely pointed out the fact that pointed wanted to disprove it because a Sept release looks bad for RIM and further supports the argument that they take too long to answer back. But the funny part was people trying to debunk it by saying well "RIM said the summer". Last time I checked, a huge part of Sept is still the summer. So I'm not saying BGR is right nor wrong but I'm not going to make a silly statement like that. Fortunately, I do know the dates when the seasons change .
    06-06-11 10:02 AM
    No offense but if I was Rim I would time the release with when early adopters are up for an upgrade, not the conservative ones looking a deal.

I fully agree. I think this part of the reason Apple has been so successful with the 1 new model per year release. Many of the people who bought one would be eligible for some type of early upgrade the next year which makes it easier for people to get the newer model. It also has to do with their relationship with the carriers. I'm pretty sure Apple influenced a carrier like AT&T to allow people to upgrade at certain times if they were going to buy an iPhone. And we all know how last when the 4 was coming out, everyone who was due an upgrade by the end of the year were eligible earlier for an iPhone. I do agree with you that RIM does need better timing. Releasing this device after the DX2, EVO 3G, Sensation and whatever else may come and possible right before the iPhone is a very hard position because many people will wait to see what the iPhone has just so they can make the best decision for them.
    06-06-11 10:07 AM
    In UK the Storm 2 and Bold 9700 came out in September 2009, all those people including myself took 2 year contracts so releasing the 9900 in September makes perfect sense to me.

Yeah that's true because it most likely won't release everywhere at the same time so for some it would probably be August and then other places will follow. The article did say "globally". So who really knows what that mean because it doesn't mean it can't be released in some places before then. We won't know until we know
    06-06-11 10:10 AM
    The 9700 and later 9780 was and is a worthy upgrade to 9000 and 8900, 9700 for example let's you do simultaneous data and calls over 2G, 9700 was the first 3G phone that could do both 3G and UMA calling, before only 2G phones could do both. Camera was much improved etc etc

Without wanting to turn this into our own personal discussion, I think I'd disagree about who you term a early adpoter worthy of this sort of consideration - people who go for shorter contracts when a phone is brand new, or who are willing to upgrade early, are more so than the standard 2 year sign ups, and it's these customers who have been left totally hanging and that RIM is probably losing.

Looking at the average 9700 user from 2009 as the only customer is probably a strategic mistake for RIM, one that's probably already cost them with 9000 and 8900 early adopters and upgraders having nothing worthy to upgrade to.

Btw - this is a conversation that has been well rehearsed elsewhere, but the 9700 is basically the same phone as the 8900, except with 3g and a trackpad - all internals are basically identical (camera, UMA etc), and I refuse to get saddled to a 9780 as it's hardly an updgrade, even though staying with the 8900 is costing me money (I'm a premium customer so get well looked after, esp in contract).
    06-06-11 10:39 AM
    Without wanting to turn this into our own personal discussion, I think I'd disagree about who you term a early adpoter worthy of this sort of consideration - people who go for shorter contracts when a phone is brand new, or who are willing to upgrade early, are more so than the standard 2 year sign ups, and it's these customers who have been left totally hanging and that RIM is probably losing.

Looking at the average 9700 user from 2009 as the only customer is probably a strategic mistake for RIM, one that's probably already cost them with 9000 and 8900 early adopters and upgraders having nothing worthy to upgrade to.

Btw - this is a conversation that has been well rehearsed elsewhere, but the 9700 is basically the same phone as the 8900, except with 3g and a trackpad - all internals are basically identical (camera, UMA etc), and I refuse to get saddled to a 9780 as it's hardly an updgrade, even though staying with the 8900 is costing me money (I'm a premium customer so get well looked after, esp in contract).
    Huh? Other then the camera I don't see what else the two of them have in common.

06-06-11 11:20 AM
    I jumped from a 8900 to a 9700 then to a 9780, and I love the upgrade, it was a huge change from 8900 and definitely worth, I constantly had problems with the trackball, the phone was slow (don't get me wrong the 89000 was an awesome device). With the 9780, everything is running smoothly and quite fast. Using OS6 on the 9700, I say that jumping to the 9780 was a great change, no more mem leaks, slow down better camera. Worth it in my humble opinion but it depends very much on your needs.
    06-06-11 11:35 AM
    @belfastdispatcher - look at the BB official site - you'll find that the only differences were the trackpad, keyboard (Bold not Curve) and the 3g (I think that the chipset, although the same spec, was slightly newer but no different technically), memory, screen res, camera etc - ie everything else was the same. Remember that back in 2009 the two product lines were only starting the be differentiated and at the time Bold meant 3g and no compromise, and Curve meant different keyboard, 2g, but still good specs.

@fnguyen - seeing as it's taking RIM so bloody long to release the 9900, if I were to go back to October 2010 I think I would upgrade to the 9780! At this point I think I'm just going to hang on for the 9900. Have had a few problems with my 8900, but fortunately have kick *** insurance so just get a new one if there is a problem (think I'm on my 7th 8900!)

06-06-11 11:54 AM
    @belfastdispatcher - look at the BB official site - you'll find that the only differences were the trackpad, keyboard (Bold not Curve) and the 3g (I think that the chipset, although the same spec, was slightly newer but no different technically), memory, screen res, camera etc - ie everything else was the same. Remember that back in 2009 the two product lines were only starting the be differentiated and at the time Bold meant 3g and no compromise, and Curve meant different keyboard, 2g, but still good specs.

@fnguyen - seeing as it's taking RIM so bloody long to release the 9900, if I were to go back to October 2010 I think I would upgrade to the 9780! At this point I think I'm just going to hang on for the 9900. Have had a few problems with my 8900, but fortunately have kick *** insurance so just get a new one if there is a problem (think I'm on my 7th 8900!)

Lol, let me see, different appearance, different keyboard, capable of faster internet connection, different procesor, capable of simultaneous data and calls on 2G and 3G, in my book that's a different phone.

06-06-11 12:19 PM
    @belfastdistpatcher - (rolls eyes) yes, it's a different phone, but you're missing the point - it's hardly any different - there are more similarities between the 8900 and 9700 spec wise than with any other two BB phones - this is just a fact (the processor was the same speed btw).

Anyway, the point was as follows - RIM is already running late for early adopters of other devices, notably the 9000 and 8900. The release of the 9900 will be in good time for the average 9700 user, but this is only one section of BB users.

06-06-11 12:32 PM
    @belfastdistpatcher - (rolls eyes) yes, it's a different phone, but you're missing the point - it's hardly any different - there are more similarities between the 8900 and 9700 spec wise than with any other two BB phones - this is just a fact (the processor was the same speed btw).

Anyway, the point was as follows - RIM is already running late for early adopters of other devices, notably the 9000 and 8900. The release of the 9900 will be in good time for the average 9700 user, but this is only one section of BB users.

I'm not exactly sure when the 8900 was released but if the early 9000 and 8900 adopters haven't upgraded by now they're no early adopters anymore lol, the 9780 would've been a big enough upgrade for them at the time.

06-06-11 12:39 PM
    @belfastdispatcher - I think some alone time with the CrackBerry and BlackBerry sites might be useful for you to get a better idea of what you're actually talking about, 'lol'. Please re-read my posts and understand the content before replying to them.

06-06-11 12:47 PM
    @belfastdispatcher - I think some alone time with the CrackBerry and BlackBerry sites might be useful for you to get a better idea of what you're actually talking about, 'lol'. Please re-read my posts and understand the content before replying to them.

You're thinking about this in personal terms, don't take it so serious.
    Rim is not late or let's people down or anything else, they create a product and if you like it you buy it. Since the 9000 and 8900 they have created a number of new models: 8500 series, curve 3g, style, pearl 3g, 9650, 9700, 9780, Torch, you can't accuse them of not creating upgrades.

If you didn't like any of them it's your problem. You had plenty chances to upgrade.

06-06-11 12:57 PM
    @belfastdispatcher - Your point was that the 9900 was well timed as it would arrive in perfect time for 9700, 2 year upgraders. My counter point was that whilst that is true, it is not perfect timing for 9000 and 8900 upgraders, whose contracts probably ended around 6-8 months ago and who didn't see any of RIMs later offerings as sufficiently technically superior when their contracts expired. This is not personal, this is pretty clear and for the most part factual - you'll find that most CB users see RIMs post 9700 offerings as using, for the most part, what are now two year old internals and specs.

I'm not saying that RIM have let anyone down, just that your point focuses on a particular marketshare, and is therefore, of limited business logic.

06-06-11 01:06 PM
    @belfastdispatcher - Your point was that the 9900 was well timed as it would arrive in perfect time for 9700, 2 year upgraders. My counter point was that whilst that is true, it is not perfect timing for 9000 and 8900 upgraders, whose contracts probably ended around 6-8 months ago and who didn't see any of RIMs later offerings as sufficiently technically superior when their contracts expired. This is not personal, this is pretty clear and for the most part factual - you'll find that most CB users see RIMs post 9700 offerings as using, for the most part, what are now two year old internals and specs.

I'm not saying that RIM have let anyone down, just that your point focuses on a particular marketshare, and is therefore, of limited business logic.

The number of people in the situation you describe must be minuscule to the number of 9700 owners out there. Seriously, if you were Rim and had to choose, which group of people would you like to keep happy?

06-06-11 01:24 PM
    The number of people in the situation you describe must be minuscule to the number of 9700 owners out there.

Yes, you're probably right - it almost certainly didn't warrant this number of posts!

06-06-11 01:46 PM
    Another point regarding the way Apple does things....with the "new device/update every year"............you at least know what the schedule is. You may not want to upgrade in any one year, but at least you know about when you will wait until to find out what the "new" updates are.....

I like that a lot, but it doesn't change a thing for me. Bring on the damn 9930 already!!!!!!
    06-06-11 01:50 PM
    Yes, you're probably right - it almost certainly didn't warrant this number of posts!

Either way, the 9900 is worth the wait.

06-06-11 02:48 PM
    Been wanting this phone for awhile, but seems I keep reading pushed back releases....

I mean I am all for working bugs out and what not, but dam that could take forever!

06-08-11 11:47 PM
    Been wanting this phone for awhile, but seems I keep reading pushed back releases....

I mean I am all for working bugs out and what not, but dam that could take forever!

Where have you read it was pushed back. Most of the disappointment has been due to people WISHING the phone to come, like next week, and then when it did not, RIM broke another promise!

Rim said summer. Summer end in September.

Stop listening to these crazy wanters in this forum and anchor yourself in reality
    06-09-11 06:12 AM
    Where have you read it was pushed back. Most of the disappointment has been due to people WISHING the phone to come, like next week, and then when it did not, RIM broke another promise!

Rim said summer. Summer end in September.

Stop listening to these crazy wanters in this forum and anchor yourself in reality
    The end of summer is really august.
    06-09-11 10:14 AM
    The end of summer is really august.
    nope im afraid you are wrong, officially summer ends in late September. RIM said "summer" so technically then have untill September 23rd to release the phone.
    06-09-11 10:29 AM
    nope im afraid you are wrong, officially summer ends in late September. RIM said "summer" so technically then have untill September 23rd to release the phone.
    I'm from the **** hole known as Arizona. Summer usually ends in August. September is more like a pre-gamer of fall. So by that thinking I'll throw a *****-fit if it doesn't come out in August.
    06-09-11 11:07 AM
    I'm getting tired of hearing the "Summer goes through September 22nd" comments. It's just very disingenuous. Yes, I think we are all well aware that summer technically goes until that date. But let's be honest...for most people in North America, summer is considered to be June through August. By September 1st, children are back in school and NFL is underway. That is the fall season, even if technically the calendar says it's still "summer." There is no real argument here.
    1magine likes this.
    06-09-11 12:29 PM
    I'm getting tired of hearing the "Summer goes through September 22nd" comments. It's just very disingenuous. Yes, I think we are all well aware that summer technically goes until that date. But let's be honest...for most people in North America, summer is considered to be June through August. By September 1st, children are back in school and NFL is underway. That is the fall season, even if technically the calendar says it's still "summer." There is no real argument here.
    Amen brother.
    3Dee likes this.
    06-09-11 12:36 PM
109 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD