10-14-09 02:21 PM
27 12
tools
    So since I upgraded to the new BBM 5.0, I noticed that my battery drains like crazy. I charged my phone all night last night, and went to work around 9:40 am, and got off at 4:45 pm, and my battery was at 10% by the time I got off work. I love BBM 5.0, the new features are great! but with the battery dying this quickly in less than half a day, I'm starting to consider about going back to the crummy old BBM 4.7 (I run on OS 5.0.0,238) do you think there's a way I can stop the battery from draining so quickly? I close all my apps when they're not in use, I put my mobile network to 2G when I'm not browsing ...any other way? Pleaase let me know, if there are other ways.

Thanks for the help in advance!<3

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-09 03:05 AM
    Mine as well. I had full battery and was bbm-ing for 2 hours i was down to 15%. Insane. I'm in the process of downloading .303. Maybe that might help? Will let you know if anything comes up.
    10-09-09 03:25 AM
    Mine as well. I had full battery and was bbm-ing for 2 hours i was down to 15%. Insane. I'm in the process of downloading .303. Maybe that might help? Will let you know if anything comes up.
    well even before the bbm5.0 was released, i tried the .303 but it didn't work for me the battery life on that was just generally bad. and by far 5.0.0.238 has been the best OS i had, and i really don't want to downgrade my os if i put my phone on stby .. do you think that might help a little?
    10-09-09 03:30 AM
    Maybe switch it to edge?
    10-09-09 03:56 AM
    Maybe switch it to edge?
    i already do that.
    10-09-09 03:58 AM
    Sorry I didn't catch that you were already running on OS 5.0. Do you have autolock on? Maybe what you can do is have autolock and get your bold on standby when the phone goes into autolock?
    10-09-09 04:31 AM
    I noticed some serious battery drainage yesterday too. But then again I was on BBM all day - to me it definitely uses up a lot more battery than the old version, though.
    10-09-09 04:38 AM
    Oh, no , not again! Everytime a new up comes to the market or an important app is updated, there are people coming to tell us it's draining their batteries. Sometimes it's so, usually it's not and in this case it's now cause BBM is a push-up type on application, which means it's not polling (asking the server every other minute if a new message is in).So no drainage. Simple. Sometimes you guys should learn how stuff works in order to understand, so you won't worry to death so much.
    PS: I used a leaked version of BBM for 3 months, now I'm also on the original one; if you message others for 3 hours, don;t expect you battery to last. Messaging means the same consumption as calling. So get over it.
    10-09-09 04:55 AM
    Oh, no , not again! Everytime a new up comes to the market or an important app is updated, there are people coming to tell us it's draining their batteries. Sometimes it's so, usually it's not and in this case it's now cause BBM is a push-up type on application, which means it's not polling (asking the server every other minute if a new message is in).So no drainage. Simple. Sometimes you guys should learn how stuff works in order to understand, so you won't worry to death so much.
    PS: I used a leaked version of BBM for 3 months, now I'm also on the original one; if you message others for 3 hours, don;t expect you battery to last. Messaging means the same consumption as calling. So get over it.
    Take a chill pill, dude. What I was trying to get as is that the new bbm is more exhaustive on the battery, in my opinion. I closely monitor my battery and memory usage, and noticed a definite change in battery consumption after installing (and using) bbm5 with nothing else changed.
    Last edited by silence69; 10-09-09 at 07:10 AM.
    10-09-09 06:56 AM
    Yea it definetly does use more battery life, I've noticed! Also when group BBMing it drains it even quiker
    10-09-09 07:00 AM
    Did you people ever think that it's because you're using it more because it's something new to play with? I'm running it on 5.0.0.238 and I'm not seeing any more batter drain than I did with BBM 4.7, but then again I'm not using it any more than I did the old version either, even tho I do use it quite a lot.
    10-09-09 07:26 AM
    in this case it's now cause BBM is a push-up type on application, which means it's not polling (asking the server every other minute if a new message is in).So no drainage. .
    in BBM 5.0 groups with chat, it is actually pulling data constantly for the real-time chat service. that will definitely chew up some power.
    10-09-09 10:49 AM
    I think it uses more battery, but then again most were all playing around with it yesterday, configuring it, etc.
    I think it was more of a wow factor. Can you imagine the backlash RIM would get?
    10-09-09 10:52 AM
    BBM in general has always drained my battery but I miss admit, 5.0 is way worse...
    10-09-09 10:54 AM
    Take a chill pill, dude. What I was trying to get as is that the new bbm is more exhaustive on the battery, in my opinion. I closely monitor my battery and memory usage, and noticed a definite change in battery consumption after installing (and using) bbm5 with nothing else changed.
    I agree with silence, OS 5.0 and BBM 5 are far more exhaustive on the battery.
    10-09-09 11:23 AM
    Funny how many avoided the leaked 5.0 like the plague and said "ill wait for the official release" well here it is! and it has many quirks (even more than the leaked version). Just goes to show that because it's "official" doesn't necessarily mean it's better. I personally like it and it's new features but wish it was more like the leaked BBM 5.0.
    10-09-09 11:42 AM
    I just went with the hybrid OS / problem solved.

And I have no problem with BBM 5 either but most issues with 5.0 are install related IMO.
    10-09-09 11:47 AM
    I've been using leaked OS 5(238) and BBM5 without noticeable battery usage. I recommend changing the BBM settings like pulling songs from contact and what not.

10-09-09 12:53 PM
    I had the leaked version of BBM 5.0 on OS 4.6 and had the BBM 4.7 on OS 5.0+ and now im back on BBM 5.0 on OS 5.0+, ive been on BBM none stop for the last 6 days... i havent noticed a battery drain...
    10-09-09 01:12 PM
    Serious drain w new BBM w .297. Down to 40% within 2hrs and the only thing I used it for was a 20min phone call. The only thing that has changed is the BBM. Tried my spare battery w same result. Also use standby mode w leather sleeve. Was using the leaked BBM and did not experience the battery drain. Going to be in 2G mode until I have time to figure out what to do.

10-09-09 02:10 PM
    BBM 5.0 works horribly with .297 OS. Actually .297 is just horrible in general. BBM on .297 would have really slow msg sending and receiving times. sometimes it may take hours before i got msgs.

so i finally found a copy of 5.0.0.238 OS and updated my bold. now everything works flawlessly, except no voice dialing, which i never use anyways. battery life is great and BBM works just as well as it used to.
    10-09-09 02:22 PM
    Ive noticed official 5.0 bbm drain.
    When device was 12hr idol I lost 5% , now loss is 15% in 12hr idol time frame.
    I dumped Group home screen icon...hopefully that helps
    Last edited by Slingbox; 10-13-09 at 02:31 PM.
    10-13-09 02:21 PM
    No battery drain issues here (8320 os 4.5.0.81) but I do have a major memory leak now. (and yeah I shut everything down completely and nothing else has changed besides the new bbm) I monitor my mem all the time because my 8320 has terrible mem and at best I see ~15 in the morning and 12 at night. I quickpulled about 3 hours ago (cause I was down to 10) and already Im back down in the 12's.
    10-13-09 03:05 PM
    in BBM 5.0 groups with chat, it is actually pulling data constantly for the real-time chat service. that will definitely chew up some power.

I agree, this seemed like the issue I was having.. The constant pulling of data from Groups was hurting my battery life. Once i pulled myself out of the groups, my battery life went back to normal.
    10-13-09 03:16 PM
    Ive noticed official 5.0 bbm drain.
    When device was 12hr idol I lost 5% , now loss is 15% in 12hr idol time frame.
    I dumped Group home screen icon...hopefully that helps
    how did you dump the group home screen icon?
    10-13-09 03:53 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD