Wow! ....very interesting to watch this unfold..Jim B is a brilliant finacial/sales wiz!

I wonder what his marketing influences and marketing approach will be..I hope their prime focus is image and mindshare!

BGR Balsillie to take over chief marketer role at RIM
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 05-02-11 at 09:37 PM.
    05-02-11 09:24 PM
    Interesting. If nothing else, we'll find out who was really responsible for RIM's abysmal marketing efforts - Pardy or these guys who are left supposedly running the show.

And I don't know who this guy is, but he obviously isn't a real hockey player - he has way too many teeth.

05-02-11 09:40 PM
    Hope this new guy builds a FIRE under the R&D department and gets some new hardware out to the users. They wasted so much time on the PlayBook when they should have got us a few new phones!

I do not expect RIM to ever be cutting edge but they need to be better than this!
    05-03-11 07:16 AM
    they should employ the same agency as apple, they make people buy their products when they dont need them.

cant be that hard to get it right,
    05-03-11 08:11 AM
    Hope this new guy builds a FIRE under the R&D department and gets some new hardware out to the users. They wasted so much time on the PlayBook when they should have got us a few new phones!

I do not expect RIM to ever be cutting edge but they need to be better than this!
    And do you think they just started developing these OS7 phones last week?

Anyway, the chief marketer has very little to do with R&D ... That's all about product planning, pricing and advertising. But I can assure you RIM's R&D has been and continues to be moving along more steadily than many people realize. When these guys came out several months ago declaring that the hardware tech was not where it needed to be for them to put out dual-core 'super-phones' just yet, they weren't pulling that information out of their backsides - it came from R&D. The QNX phones that are coming out some time next year have probably been undergoing R&D for the better part of a year already.

A little slow bringing new stuff to the table, yes; fast asleep at the wheel, hardly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 11:15 AM
    And do you think they just started developing these OS7 phones last week?

Anyway, the chief marketer has very little to do with R&D ... That's all about product planning, pricing and advertising. But I can assure you RIM's R&D has been and continues to be moving along more steadily than many people realize. When these guys came out several months ago declaring that the hardware tech was not where it needed to be for them to put out dual-core 'super-phones' just yet, they weren't pulling that information out of their backsides - it came from R&D. The QNX phones that are coming out some time next year have probably been undergoing R&D for the better part of a year already.

A little slow bringing new stuff to the table, yes; fast asleep at the wheel, hardly.

I think their acquisitions attorneys are working much harder than their R&D department at the moment...
    howarmat likes this.
    05-03-11 12:03 PM
    they should employ the same agency as apple, they make people buy their products when they dont need them.

Wow! ....very interesting to watch this unfold..Jim B is a brilliant finacial/sales wiz!

I wonder what his marketing influences and marketing approach will be..I hope their prime focus is image and mindshare!

BGR Balsillie to take over chief marketer role at RIM

Worst decision ever, IMO. Balsille is not fit for marketing, at all. They need to hire outside for some new talent, with marketing experience and knowledge, both of which Balsille does not have.

... I know that RIM has a plan but sometimes their announcements seem like such a bad decision.
    05-03-11 12:14 PM
    Worst decision ever, IMO. Balsille is not fit for marketing, at all. They need to hire outside for some new talent, with marketing experience and knowledge, both of which Balsille does not have.

... I know that RIM has a plan but sometimes their announcements seem like such a bad decision.
    I have to agree with you on this one. RIM needs some new blood at the top to take the company into the future.

My question would be what has Balsille been doing the past years as "co-ceo??" Just collecting a paycheck for doing nothing? If you can be a co-ceo and the chief marketer at the same time you are either A) god's gift to executive management or B) weren't doing jack sh!t before.

I can tell you it is not A
    05-03-11 12:58 PM

No time was wasted on the Playbook. Its the best Blackberry device to date, by far.

I do wish we had QNX phones coming out this year in-place of these 6.1/7 devices, but this is still a very exciting time for BB users/lovers. It seems they are finally stepping in the right direction.
    05-03-11 01:05 PM

The problem with this argument is that you'd have to assume that RIM has simply elected not to offer advertising like Apple's. I'm quite certain that I RIM believed their only need was more advertising they wouldn't hesitate to do just that.

05-03-11 01:29 PM
    The problem with this argument is that you'd have to assume that RIM has simply elected not to offer advertising like Apple's. I'm quite certain that I RIM believed their only need was more advertising they wouldn't hesitate to do just that.

They do need more advertising. Much more. Obviously advertising is something that Apple does well. Verizon does well, particularly with Droids. They have lost touch with people and to connect, they need to advertise.

The last commercial I saw for BlackBerry was a commercial for poynt and super apps. That has been running for months. I saw it during an NBA Playoffs game.

Wanna know what commercial was after that? A commercial for the iPhone that was new.

See a problem here?
    05-03-11 01:55 PM
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not claiming advertising is adequate. I'm just saying that if advertising was ALL that was necessary, I have to think they wouldn't allow that to be the only difference. Does RIM need moreand better ads? Yes. If they fix this weakness, will they automatically return to where they were before? Probably not. Now, better advertising + QNX phones is a different deal altogether.

05-03-11 02:11 PM
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not claiming advertising is adequate. I'm just saying that if advertising was ALL that was necessary, I have to think they wouldn't allow that to be the only difference. Does RIM need moreand better ads? Yes. If they fix this weakness, will they automatically return to where they were before? Probably not. Now, better advertising + QNX phones is a different deal altogether.

I can see what you are saying, however I feel like these devices are well equipped. They just need to put the money behind them in advertising.

I think they need to do this for the playbook as well.

Other things come into play- actually launching these phones in a timely manner and all of that. They need to work with the carriers to push the phones, like iPhone with AT&T and Droid with Verizon, but they also need to branch off and move into other forms of advertising.
    05-03-11 02:26 PM
    .... The hardware is amazing and the software is pretty good. Unfinished, but good. Android wasn't complete when they released it but I don't hear people ******** about that.
    05-03-11 03:06 PM
    The PlayBook in the hands of the users today is a different experience to that at the hands of all those tech reviewers two weeks ago. Video chat is here, BBM via bridge is here, Facebook is now here.

The hardware has always been top notch though, I'm surprised you even debate that?

How will you feel about it once it has native email and Android apps?
    05-03-11 03:36 PM
    I believe this is a prudent move business wise....

First off with the co-ceo setup, with Jim B focusing leadership in the financial/sales end of the ceo role, allows for a strong specialization in solely financial and sales related matters...

This will allow his area of expertise to become streamlined in the means of vision and communication towards the marketing executive level at RIM...

This setup will allow a broader area for Jim B to further focus on financial, sales and market expansion matters...His role does not have to be supported in a traditional CMO sense...

Jim has proven himself in his financial abilities to a level of success that is very highly revered by many at the upper executive level amongst his peers and business in general....Through his leadership and vision RIM has grown at an ultra rapid pace!

Marketing executives will be able to communicate more efficiently and develop and deploy marketing solutions and strategies at a more accelerated pace. Vision can be shared more effectively...Jim's primary role as co-ceo and now CMO will allow vision towards marketing amongst RIM internally and allow a more streamlined and effective means to utilize 3rd party marketing firms that treat foreign and domestic markets to meet the needs as their unique circumstances dictate...

Jim B's leadership through financial, sales and market expansion focus has lead RIM to a level of growth and success in 20 years time that has been to a level that remains to only an exclusive group of business...With his portfolio of success and expertise...the role of CMO become a very prudent decision IMHO....

A role as CMO is very relative to Jim B's current role as co-ceo due to the nature of the structure and his area of expertise
    05-03-11 07:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD