sorry if this has been discussed. i tried searching and had no luck.

how do i back up my contacts to upgrade to bbm5.0
    thanks.
    10-08-09 03:54 AM
    Open up your Blackberry Desktop Manager --> then Backup.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 04:17 AM
    I think the bigger question is: With this new update do you have to back up your contacts or is it fine just DLing the program from App world and installing?
    10-08-09 04:19 AM
    i was gonna download it from blackberry.com / (option without appworld)
    i was guessing that i dont even have to back it up and it automaticaly backs it up, i believe its done that in the past.
    10-08-09 04:31 AM
    Its good to create an actual back up first. Yes it does create a backup while making changes, but if something goes wrong, good luck trying to get things back. I always make a back-up. While upgrading the g/f's phone hers froze. I was just adding docs-to-go. I had to unplug the phone. When I restarted all was lost and the program (DM) was no help. I had made a back-up first, so fter I reloaded all her software, I installed the backup and everything was safe.

It's only a few minutes.

My question was if being installed over app world, does it naturally save the contacts?
    10-08-09 04:37 AM
    i think if u upgrade from older version still on it from app world it automatically uses ur old contacts which happened to me but than again for emergencies i got a backup in my media card from the leaked 5.0 old version
    10-08-09 06:27 AM
    I'd back it up just incase, you never know. Personally i was using a beta 5.0 and it now has a back up contacts feature that i used and put it on my Micro SD card. That being said i ran into no issues installing 5.0, it was just a little slow.
    10-08-09 06:33 AM
    i took a chance and just straight up upgraded from App World.. worked fine.. transferred all the contacts.. didnt keep them linked to the phone contact list/facebook and all that.. but there all there..
    10-08-09 08:12 AM
    I downloaded it directly from RIM so I wasn't the least bit concerned about losing my contacts. I didn't lose them the first time I went from the 4.7 to the leaked one. Didn't see any reason to worry about it this time either. Noticed a lot of people were worried though.

Anyway I had recently done a back up as stated in post #2 here so I knew it was there too.
    10-08-09 08:45 AM
    I lost my contacts when I didn't backup, anyway to recover them?
    10-08-09 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD