04-06-11 04:18 AM
29 12
tools
    The future of RIM not so dim | Technology | Companies | Canadian Business Online

In January, ComScore ranked Android the top U.S. smartphone platform, while Apple further established its tablet dominance with the March 2 launch of the iPad 2. Kik Interactive, the Canadian startup boasting a cross-platform messaging app with many of the desired features of RIM's BlackBerry Messenger (BBM), received significant venture-capital funding. All this has caused many to posit the BlackBerry maker has fallen and can't catch up. To compound matters, on March 7, mere weeks ahead of the reported early-April launch of its much-anticipated PlayBook tablet, RIM chief marketing officer Keith Pardy announced his resignation just over a year after joining the company.

But a few deep breaths and a closer look at the numbers behind much of the hype reveal a different, more optimistic picture. Those same ComScore numbers still ranked RIM second among American smartphone consumers with 30.4% of the market (compared to Android's 31.2% and Apple's 24.7%) and, perhaps more important, RIM reported a 40% increase in sales for the third quarter of 2010, to 14.2 million BlackBerrys. With somewhere in the neighbourhood of 35 million daily users, as well as rumours the company will be rolling out an Android and iPhone OS version, BlackBerry Messenger isn't going anywhere. Plus, never mind the stock has gone up 24% since the PlayBook was unveiled in late September.

"There are areas of weakness, specifically in the United States," said Gus Papageorgiou, managing director of technology research at Scotia Capital. "But the whole negative perception is more in the media than in the minds of the public. Things like BBM and the corporate aspect of the BlackBerry solution are still very much helping the brand, and on a global basis the brand is gaining momentum."

Pardy's rather abrupt departure certainly raised eyebrows. Amitabh Passi of UBS Investment Research wrote a note to clients saying the resignation will likely "dampen sentiment and perhaps reinforce RIM's struggles transforming itself from an enterprise-centric company to one much more focused on selling consumer products."

A bold statement, considering RIM's new ad agencies, BBDO Worldwide and MDC-owned creative agency 72andSunny, have yet to launch campaigns for the PlayBook and other BlackBerry products. Papageorgiou says marketing plans have been in place for a while, and Pardy's parting will hardly do much to cripple the company's image.

RIM has also been working to improve its relationship with developers, those who create the highly sought-after apps. Tyler Lessard, the company's head of developer relations, recently met with blogger Jamie Murai after the latter's blog post complaining about the PlayBook development process went viral. There have been positive reaction and excitement around well-placed rumours that the PlayBook will support Android apps, and the company's QNX operating system in the PlayBook and new BlackBerry products has also burnished its rep.

The gushing reviews surrounding the release of the iPad 2 reignited speculation that Apple has essentially established what Deutsche Bank analyst Chris Whitmore described to investors as an "insurmountable lead" in the tablet market. But others caution against jumping to quick conclusions.

Amar Varma, founder of Toronto-based venture capital firm Extreme Venture Partners, says it's simply foolish to count RIM out this early in the game. "Sales of tablet computers and smartphones will eclipse that of PCs, so the market is huge, and there's going to be a number of people who will win," said Varma. "We have to look at PlayBook as RIM getting ante in the game. Google just got their tablet [platform] out this quarter, and it was released with 16 apps. My suspicion is we'll see RIM launch with a much deeper set of applications and a renewed interest in the platform."
    04-01-11 05:06 PM
    i want to know how things will change once qnx is on hh there will be nothing to complain about anymore and the 2012 blackberry will have everthing then qnx will be dual core, flash, great battery, 3.7 screen, bbm, fast browser, front facing camera, nfc chip, bbm video conferencing, push notifications, security. what else could you want . there will finaly be nothing to complain about.
    in 2012 it will be the perfect phone no you say ok what will it not have tell me.
    04-01-11 05:24 PM
    well, ur right tumer, theres only one problem
    there are already such phones out

i want the qnx phones to be better than just that !
    i'll say it again: i wish for many surprises, it shouldnt just be standard by then, i want those "superphones" to have smth completely new : P
    at least thats what im hoping for
    04-01-11 05:26 PM
    i think 2012 for rim will be big things are changing and we are slowly starting to seem them . they will introduce the superblackberrry with qnx and everything i stated above and i think what rims plans are is they will introduce bbm to all other platforms and also the push email . see if people still want to complain about there superphone they must be crazy but if they still want there android and ios then fine you can also have bbm and push notifications for a fee that is think about it they can sell it to every phone ios or android and windows then to every tablet for what people are saying the smartphone market is still going to grow like crazy thats huge potential to get a peice of almost all the action, then theres the tablet market that has only begone if it takes off like the smartphone market then thats massive . rim will still sell phones and there pride and joy bbm and push witch means huge CASH! The only thing im not sure of will it be a one time purchase like and app or a subscription?
    04-01-11 05:32 PM
    what could be left to put on a phone honestly what 3d what else? and these socalled phones what atrix or thunderbolt from what i here great but the battery a joke thats sort of impotant . see i think in 9 to 10 things are goin to end up at par really and if motorola wants a triquad core or what ever the battery is still going to suck the next ipone5 what dual core what else bigger screen you can only do so much thats why i think that things will level out soon to were okj there realy is nothing to complain about . think of a smaller playbook with bbm push great battery dual core bla bla blah whats left what you want tri core or what ever really how ablout the battery and if you still dont care fine rim will say here buy our bbm and push any way and lots of people will say ok its comming watch especialy with this blackberry id it will probably be used for now with cloud stuff but for more in the future
    04-01-11 05:40 PM
    push is not a huge thing anymore. Push is available on most all other platforms. **** i have 3 push email accounts, push twitter, push facebook on android right now. RIM will certainly be catching up finally in 2012 but we also dont know what will happen in 1year for apple and android and MS.

QNX cant get here fast enough for handhelds. It truly will be a turn around for the company

EDIT New data from today

Last edited by howarmat; 04-01-11 at 06:27 PM.
    04-01-11 05:42 PM
    i want to know how things will change once qnx is on hh there will be nothing to complain about anymore and the 2012 blackberry will have everthing then qnx will be dual core, flash, great battery, 3.7 screen, bbm, fast browser, front facing camera, nfc chip, bbm video conferencing, push notifications, security. what else could you want . there will finaly be nothing to complain about.
    in 2012 it will be the perfect phone no you say ok what will it not have tell me.
    What you described is not my idea of a perfect phone. I don't want a form factor bigger than the S2 although I would like a 3.7 inch screen, I don't think they can fit it into the S2. Droid phones are way too big, and as much as I've used the iphone I still haven't warmed up to the form factor.
    04-02-11 11:56 AM
    RIM is doing just fine - anything the competition can do, RIM can do better!!
    04-02-11 02:11 PM
    So should I bypass my 10/2011 upgrade and wait for a qnx device? I still have a storm2 and have no issues with it. In fact I still love it. The new touch device coming up looks nice but if qnx is right around the corner, why not just wait?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-11 07:47 PM
    push is not a huge thing anymore. Push is available on most all other platforms. **** i have 3 push email accounts, push twitter, push facebook on android right now. RIM will certainly be catching up finally in 2012 but we also dont know what will happen in 1year for apple and android and MS.

QNX cant get here fast enough for handhelds. It truly will be a turn around for the company

EDIT New data from today

Not to disagree with your numbers, but I'd like to point out that between November 2010 and Feb 2011, there was 1 new iPhone (Verzion) and countless hordes of new Android phones, and 0 new BlackBerrys. So people getting new phones in that time probably did not get a BB.
    Just a thought.
    tumer and Jake Storm like this.
    04-03-11 08:04 PM
    @tumer. Maybe you can add a Trollfinder to your feature list? This could be the last good year for trolls. Just a thought. An electric razor may be nice accessory too.
    04-03-11 08:14 PM
    @tumer. Maybe you can add a Trollfinder to your feature list? This could be the last good year for trolls. Just a thought. An electric razor may be nice accessory too.
    ^^^so true! Well said friend!

04-03-11 08:19 PM
    Not to disagree with your numbers, but I'd like to point out that between November 2010 and Feb 2011, there was 1 new iPhone (Verzion) and countless hordes of new Android phones, and 0 new BlackBerrys. So people getting new phones in that time probably did not get a BB.
    Just a thought.
    That is true I won't deny that. And that won't change either. IPhone 5 will come and more androids too.
    04-03-11 09:08 PM
    That is true I won't deny that. And that won't change either. IPhone 5 will come and more androids too.
    Won't change? RIM releases phones all the time lol, they just didn't release any for the period that graph is for.

04-03-11 09:20 PM
    Won't change? RIM releases phones all the time lol, they just didn't release any for the period that graph is for.

I believe he meant that the hordes of new Android releases won't change. I agree with that point also. But the new RIM phones will certainly generate some interest.
    04-03-11 09:25 PM
    Really RIM releases phones all the time? Tell vzw that lol. Its been almost 8 months since they got a new bb. But yes I did mean there will be more droids too.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    04-03-11 09:28 PM
    I think RIM has a much brighter future than Moto or HTC. I guess we will all see how things unfold over the next 12 months.
    04-03-11 09:28 PM
    I believe he meant that the hordes of new Android releases won't change. I agree with that point also. But the new RIM phones will certainly generate some interest.
    There likely will, but I think there will be less than there has been up till this point. Google clamps down on Android control to curb fragmentation | FierceMobileContent

Really RIM releases phones all the time? Tell vzw that lol. Its been almost 8 months since they got a new bb. But yes I did mean there will be more droids too.
    Lol, touche. The last few months have been pretty lame. But that's cuz RIM's been putting so much into the playbook.
    And Verizon is on an iOS and Android craze

I suspect RIM would still have lost market share, I just think it would have been less of a loss if they had released a worthwhile new phone in that period.
    04-03-11 10:04 PM
    I think RIM has a much brighter future than Moto or HTC. I guess we will all see how things unfold over the next 12 months.
    Yes, exactly. We all know RIM's 2011 roadmap and even though it is a step back in terms of the relative competition, it is a huge step forward for RIM in trying to launch consumer phones, and push a better OS out the door.

Let's think back to how long it took for them to release their OS in the past, present, and future.

• OS 4.5 Aug 2007
    • OS 5 Oct 2009
    • OS 6 Sept 2010 (torch)/Mar 2011 (additional devices)
    • OS 6.1 April 2011
    • OS 7 2012

2 years on OS 4 and if we count OS 6 roll-out in march - that's one month for a refresh and less than a year (if Q1 2012 is the date) for an entirely new OS. This is just in terms of OS...if we think about phone hardware, it's a revolution! Especially if they're thinking dual core in 2012 - there hasn't ever been a BIG step like this for RIM...so it can only mean good things

They've been ramping things up a bit, and I don't think they're going to take these punches sitting down. There's hope, but it all relies on how the public receives their products and how well they are actually made in terms of the RIM standard of a smartphone.
    Last edited by theruined; 04-03-11 at 11:32 PM.
    04-03-11 11:30 PM
    In addition, those numbers incorporate a season of heavy sales and promotions, which helps push new devices. So when you don't have something new to offer, it does create an opportunity for some, what in the industry is known as, "churning".

And doesn't it raise an eyebrow that Apple only moved up .2% with thw release on a whole new carrier?

BlackStormRising likes this.
    04-04-11 12:43 AM
    RIM is doing just fine - anything the competition can do, RIM can do better!!
    Problem is it takes them a few years longer....
    04-04-11 09:43 AM
    Problem is it takes them a few years longer....
    The Canadian way of business moves like Maple Syrup...although it tastes O So Delicious, it moves...well slowly, like maple syrup...hmm
    04-04-11 09:57 AM
    In addition, those numbers incorporate a season of heavy sales and promotions, which helps push new devices. So when you don't have something new to offer, it does create an opportunity for some, what in the industry is known as, "churning".

And doesn't it raise an eyebrow that Apple only moved up .2% with thw release on a whole new carrier?

yep i was shocked to see that it only went up that much.
    04-04-11 11:27 AM
    To add to to your thought and apply the same reasoning against getting a BB 6.1 device and iphone 4 device.

People on this forum have said 6.1 is basically a stop gap and why buy a stop gap? The public may be thinking the same thing regarding the iphone 4, that is its a stop gap for iphone 5. Wait a few months and get a better phone. I certainly think like that.

04-04-11 01:08 PM
    correct, it was out on the 10th of february. Im still a little shocked though since it did get a ton of sales, over 1 million that weekend or whatever.

On the 6.1 thing, here are my thoughts. Outside of CB no one knows of the new BBs or 6.1 imo, they also dont know about OS 7 (QNX) coming. So most people will be very happy to see the new BBs once released. They will have no clue about the early 2012 launch of QNX HHs until they happen to go into a store and see them. Then they might be a little ticked but i would imagine not like people on here are about the short life of a new OS 6.1 device. I will be interesting to see how the timeline actually plays out and when QNX HH are released.
    04-04-11 01:33 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD