04-11-11 05:24 AM
45 12
tools
    Lol, sounds like they all wanted iphones, 92% of them only 6% chose Android.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-11 06:43 AM
    Lol, your BB is on the same cellular network the other smartphones are. When your carrier's network get overfilled during peak times, your BB won't make calls or get on the web either. Remember that you need an initial Internet Gateway available before your BB can connect to the RIM NOC to work. That gateway is either cellular from your carrier or via WIFI and an ISP if your BB can do WIFI. I'd be more worried about an earthquake in Waterloo before anything else.

BTW, ever try to make a call during New Year's Eve or when something else big happens like 911? Ya, BB/iPhone/Android alike are all affected by overloaded cellular networks.

It was explained here on crackberry why BBM works best in these situations, it uses very little data and it keeps trying to send until it can send it, no need for the user to click a resend.
    I think it was just about BBM not email.
    04-08-11 12:10 PM
    I guess BB doesn't do what Clorox needs?
    04-08-11 12:17 PM
    yes, but due to the massive compression, Blackberrys can usually push out emails when other devices cannot get enough bandwith.
    the world is not running out of bandwidth. nobody cares about "compression" technologies. And when 4g becomes ubiquitous, they "really" won't care.
    04-08-11 12:20 PM
    Lol, your BB is on the same cellular network the other smartphones are. When your carrier's network get overfilled during peak times, your BB won't make calls or get on the web either. Remember that you need an initial Internet Gateway available before your BB can connect to the RIM NOC to work. That gateway is either cellular from your carrier or via WIFI and an ISP if your BB can do WIFI. I'd be more worried about an earthquake in Waterloo before anything else.

BTW, ever try to make a call during New Year's Eve or when something else big happens like 911? Ya, BB/iPhone/Android alike are all affected by overloaded cellular networks.
    Yes, unfortunately. All phones go down in a situation like that.
    04-08-11 12:21 PM
    the world is not running out of bandwidth. nobody cares about "compression" technologies. And when 4g becomes ubiquitous, they "really" won't care.
    The world does care about compression and efficiency over the airwaves. It cares about it now.

When 4G becomes ubiquitous, the world will care about it even more.
    04-08-11 12:22 PM
    what will happen to these companys when an earthquake or Tsunami hits and they can't communicate to eachother becasue the cell network coverage is soo backed up?? id stick with BB just for that matter, no point in having a phone that can connect to the cloud when there is no cloud to connect to. I know bb wont connect either but u can still communicate through bbm
    you know I bet that guy who made this decision didn't think of this. There could be a Tsunami.
    04-08-11 12:24 PM
    The world does care about compression and efficiency over the airwaves. It cares about it now.

When 4G becomes ubiquitous, the world will care about it even more.
    really? when bandwidth becomes 10x as abundant the world will care about compressing emails? Hey maybe Rimm Will eventually be right about this.
    04-08-11 12:25 PM
    What the article stopped short of saying is how much the company is saving by having the employees purchase and maintain their own phones.

I'm sure Clorox gives the employees some sort of reimbursement but the article left out some criticial information on the decision making process, which probably was due to confidential information. Like how to stop the employees from playing angry birds on the clock.
    04-08-11 12:28 PM
    really? when bandwidth becomes 10x as abundant the world will care about compressing emails? Hey maybe Rimm Will eventually be right about this.
    You tell me when we are there in 100 years. Meantime back on earth in 2011 that isn't the case.
    04-08-11 12:30 PM
    You tell me when we are there in 100 years. Meantime back on earth in 2011 that isn't the case.
    the facts don't support you. if compression technologies in a bandwidth constrained world really was important to consumers, rimm would be gaining market share. they aren't. they are losing share, month after month after month. all to phones that consume much more bandwidth and don't use any compression technologies that "save" scarce bandwidth resources.
    04-08-11 12:34 PM
    the facts don't support you. if compression technologies in a bandwidth constrained world really was important to consumers, rimm would be gaining market share. they aren't. they are losing share, month after month after month. all to phones that consume much more bandwidth and don't use any compression technologies that "save" scarce bandwidth resources.
    That's like saying if gas mileage was really important the Prius would be the only car on the road. People in the world who pay by the byte with limited plans do want compression.

I wish I had a losing business like RIM. Losing market share while raking in the billions, having one quarter better than another. Yeah, they sure are a losing company.

Maybe you wonder why RIM is raking in the money. You have to look at the overall business model, which you don't do/don't want to do/don't care to to.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    04-08-11 01:15 PM
    That's like saying if gas mileage was really important the Prius would be the only car on the road. People in the world who pay by the byte with limited plans do want compression.

I wish I had a losing business like RIM. Losing market share while raking in the billions, having one quarter better than another. Yeah, they sure are a losing company.

Maybe you wonder why RIM is raking in the money. You have to look at the overall business model, which you don't do/don't want to do/don't care to to.
    your gas analogy is off the mark. the supply of oil can't be increased ten fold by spectrum and technology. yes bb is still viable in places that don't have 3g and soon 4g, but do you want to have a business plan based on that?
    04-08-11 01:51 PM
    your gas analogy is off the mark. the supply of oil can't be increased ten fold by spectrum and technology. yes bb is still viable in places that don't have 3g and soon 4g, but do you want to have a business plan based on that?
    So oil production is the same in 2011 as it was in 1911, both in total production and efficiency? Of course not.

If you wanted to refute the analogy, you should have used the fact that oil is a finite natural resource which can't be built, grown, or created--like a cellular spectrum is Gas can be "made" but it's ridiculously hard and terrible for the environment...that's for another thread.

But I know you're just trolling, anyway...the world will care about data compression once everyone has a smartphone, decides streaming radio can replace regular AM/FM during their 40-hour work week, people hook their phones to the TV to stream directly instead of using an HTPC/Wii/etc...that sort of thing. Files aren't getting smaller, bandwidth use ain't going down anytime soon
    i7guy likes this.
    04-08-11 02:26 PM
    If you wanted to refute the analogy, you should have used the fact that oil is a finite natural resource which can't be built, grown, or created--like a cellular spectrum is Gas can be "made" but it's ridiculously hard and terrible for the environment...that's for another thread.
    Actually usable cellular spectrum is a finite resource. Too low of frequency and you can't put as much data on it, too high and you can't transmit as far over various terrain or through buildings. Plus most of the usable spectrum has already been allocated for other things. Verizon is only able to deploy LTE now because of digital TV freeing up some spectrum in the 700 MHz range that analog TV used to use. The US government is trying to free up more, but its not easy.
    04-08-11 03:04 PM
    Actually usable cellular spectrum is a finite resource. Too low of frequency and you can't put as much data on it, too high and you can't transmit as far over various terrain or through buildings. Plus most of the usable spectrum has already been allocated for other things. Verizon is only able to deploy LTE now because of digital TV freeing up some spectrum in the 700 MHz range that analog TV used to use. The US government is trying to free up more, but its not easy.
    Is there any way to create signals and/or spectrum?
    04-08-11 03:35 PM
    Is there any way to create signals and/or spectrum?
    Nope the spectrum is what it is and your only allowed to transmit and receive in the frequency ranges you are allocated by the FCC in the US. Each country has control over their own frequency so the US chart only applies to the US.

Here is the FCC frequency allocation chart http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...W7vZoA&cad=rja
    04-08-11 03:41 PM
    Um...hello, Clorox? You need to post your needy announcement in this thread like everyone else:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/all-...t-here-260887/

04-08-11 11:24 PM
    This guy Ralph is an *****. That's all I managed to retain / deduce from reading the article, that the dude is just plain dumb.
    04-09-11 07:51 AM
    Dam, now I need to use something else than clorax to bleach my whites! I refuse to use their product anymore due to this nonsense! They just lost my dolla!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-11 05:24 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD