04-11-11 04:24 AM
45 12
tools
    Clorox cleans out BlackBerries in favor of iPhones, Android devices - Computerworld

hen Ralph Loura took over as CIO of Clorox a year ago, the company was standardized on clunky Windows 2000 desktop computers and Blackberry mobile phones.

"Employee satisfaction with the IT team was not great," he said during a keynote speech yesterday at the SNW conference here.

"If you believe demographic studies, the workforce in their 20s and 30s isn't going to accept black corporate PCs with black corporate mobile phones and not be allowed to run Facebook or Angry Bird apps," he said.

Loura was among many CIOs and IT managers at SNW who said they're facing the same issue -- employees want to use mobile technology at work, leaving IT with the job of ensuring that the devices and the data on them remain secure.

For Loura, that meant revamping the company's IT infrastructure while leveraging public and private clouds whenever possible.

The effort to enable a more mobile workforce becomes more a challenge at a company -- like Clorox -- whose 8,300 person workforce is split evenly between "information" workers and plant workers.

Loura so far has replaced 6,000 desktop and tower computers with lightweight HP laptops, and got rid of company-issued Blackberries while letting workers choose between an iPhone or Android or Window Phone 7-powered smartphone. The company has issued 2,000 smartphones, 92% of which are iPhones. About 6% of the smartphones chosen were Android-based while 2% were Windows Phone 7 devices.

"We live in public cloud for mail and messaging. I don't have to worry about security because I don't sync data to the iPhones. It remains in the cloud," he said.

"My job is about how to be the chief risk officer, yet provide choice and flexibility. It's about putting apps and logistics in the cloud and pushing the user interface to the edge," Loura continued.

Loura said a select group of employees is piloting a small number of iPads. While he's yet to find anyone who has said "take my laptop and replace with iPad," Loura does believe the tablet can eventually run business applications from the cloud.

"What I want [to do is] figure out how to take that business intelligence app or workflow app and figure out way to have it be accessed in an intuitive way from the iPad," he said.

Loura is not alone working to allow a self-reliant workforce to pick and choose the tools with which they want to work. As he sees it, his job is get his IT shop out of the way, without putting the company's data at risk.

Richard Rothschild, senior director IT and facilities at DVR-maker TiVo, also gives free rein to employees when it comes to mobile devices.

"I get a big benefit when I can use my mobile phone to see e-mail and be able to respond more quickly. I can approve things going into production faster instead of me having to find a computer and log in," he said. "The problem is protecting our intellectual property."

Rothschild said his company only allows workers to use phones that IT can control and wipe of data if they're lost or an employee leaves the company.

"We have a very large amount of data that's very sensitive to our customers," said David Davies, CIO at Flight Options, a private jet transportation company.

Even so, Davies said his company issued Blackberries to all of its employees in 2001 and 2002. The result was immediate, the company saved $8,000 in the first month in long distance phone bills.

Prior to using smartphones, Flight Options pilots and crew had to file details about how much aircraft maintenance, fuel consumption, miles flown per day, and any schedule deviations due to late passengers via fax to dispatchers. With the mobile phones, that information is sent cheaply and instantly.

Along with the mobile phones, Davies deployed a mobile device manager server to track the applications used on mobile devices, to inventory phones and wipe their data if they're lost.

Davies is currently rolling out iPads to his employees. The hope is that pilots and crewmembers will figure out ways to use them for myriad applications, such as downloading weather charts and passenger information.

"We'll have 20 iPads out there in the next six months and I need a way to manage them," he said.
    04-07-11 10:58 AM
    Interesting article. Thank's
    04-07-11 11:04 AM
    hey hey hey.....stop saying this stuff....you may be called a troll or something worse or pelted with generized opinions about other workplaces that the masses are supposed to take in as pure absolute fact. Be careful here. You might get bombarded with BB hateorade showers now.
    Oh that's great stuff coming from you. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Still I suppose the troll's troll should know best, eh?
    04-07-11 11:48 AM
    Come on guys. It is possible to have a constructive debate on the merits of a device. They all have positives and negatives. There are a couple of great my device is better than yours in the android forum. Little to no personal attacks. Mostly my device can beat up your device. Generally good discussion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-11 12:12 PM
    I am just posting an article, not trolling, especially when I prefer Blackberries...
    04-07-11 12:27 PM
    I am just posting an article, not trolling, especially when I prefer Blackberries...
    what is your point in posting an article and not even commenting on it? That is like troll 101....not saying you are but how bout share your thoughts and why you posted it. That leads to better discussion.
    andyahs and BlackStormRising like this.
    04-07-11 01:08 PM
    what is your point in posting an article and not even commenting on it? That is like troll 101....not saying you are but how bout share your thoughts and why you posted it. That leads to better discussion.
    Really? This is a news article related to Blackberry, why else would I post this in the news and rumors forum?
    04-07-11 01:15 PM
    Really? This is a news article related to Blackberry, why else would I post this in the news and rumors forum?
    My comments went completely over your head I think
    04-07-11 01:19 PM
    My comments went completely over your head I think
    No, apparently mine are completely over your head. You are reading too far into the post if you think it's trolling. Take it for it is- news about RIM/Blackberry. If you have thoughts, then post them, if not, then don't.

Not really that hard.
    04-07-11 01:25 PM
    Not really news or rumors, its more business as usual.

There are no real specifics how many phones, and of what type.would have been an interesting metric.

04-07-11 02:58 PM
    what will happen to these companys when an earthquake or Tsunami hits and they can't communicate to eachother becasue the cell network coverage is soo backed up?? id stick with BB just for that matter, no point in having a phone that can connect to the cloud when there is no cloud to connect to. I know bb wont connect either but u can still communicate through bbm
    04-07-11 03:41 PM
    Ok. I retract my previous post. That thread turned to crap just like they all do. Even when the pro android threads are in the android section the fanbois find them.

04-07-11 03:49 PM
    Ok. I retract my previous post. That thread turned to crap just like they all do. Even when the pro android threads are in the android section the fanbois find them.

But this post wasn't the intention. It's just news. An update on the status of where Blackberry stands and how much is riding on these phones. We can discuss if they are going to deliver or not.

I am not an android phanboi. I own a 9650 and have never owned an android and have no plans in purchasing one. I'm looking forward to QNX and plan on buying that. Look at my post history. It was a news article.

If it's really irrelevant, it can be locked or deleted.
    04-07-11 04:01 PM
    I meant the fanbois from both sides. I am an android user.

04-07-11 04:08 PM
    what will happen to these companys when an earthquake or Tsunami hits and they can't communicate to eachother becasue the cell network coverage is soo backed up?? id stick with BB just for that matter, no point in having a phone that can connect to the cloud when there is no cloud to connect to. I know bb wont connect either but u can still communicate through bbm
    So BBM doesn't need a cell networks to communicate with another BlackBerry?

As far as that article goes... that is pretty much becoming the SOP. Business are allowing their employes to use their personal devices, or are providing them with their device of choice. We all know that RIM has fallen behind in the last couple of years... think/hope 2012/2013 will be much better for them.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    04-07-11 04:23 PM

It's because most of those posts are the same 3 or 4 people bickering back and forth to no purposeful end... And they take over every single thread in that place...
    04-07-11 05:08 PM
    ^^ Yes your post is a good example of a non-biased opinion on the state of forums and RIM in general........
    04-07-11 05:35 PM
    So BBM doesn't need a cell networks to communicate with another BlackBerry?

As far as that article goes... that is pretty much becoming the SOP. Business are allowing their employes to use their personal devices, or are providing them with their device of choice. We all know that RIM has fallen behind in the last couple of years... think/hope 2012/2013 will be much better for them.
    This. When it comes down to it people don't want to use a BB anymore in corporations, which for RIM is an extremely bad thing. Only the future will tell if RIM has what it takes to sway that back in their favor again.
    04-07-11 07:07 PM
    RollingRock, the point howarmat was trying to make it you should have given your opinion on the article you linked to in your original post. All well and good posting the link, but summarising how you feel about it helps people draw a link to the article and are more likely to read it.

This. When it comes down to it people don't want to use a BB anymore in corporations, which for RIM is an extremely bad thing. Only the future will tell if RIM has what it takes to sway that back in their favor again.
    Oh so does that mean the company will refuse to let me use a BB in their corporation and force me to choose iPhone/Android/WinPho7?
    howarmat likes this.
    04-07-11 07:12 PM
    So the article sounds like Clorox didn't even give the option of BlackBerries
    04-07-11 11:03 PM
    Lol, your BB is on the same cellular network the other smartphones are. When your carrier's network get overfilled during peak times, your BB won't make calls or get on the web either. Remember that you need an initial Internet Gateway available before your BB can connect to the RIM NOC to work. That gateway is either cellular from your carrier or via WIFI and an ISP if your BB can do WIFI. I'd be more worried about an earthquake in Waterloo before anything else.

BTW, ever try to make a call during New Year's Eve or when something else big happens like 911? Ya, BB/iPhone/Android alike are all affected by overloaded cellular networks.
    Machzy likes this.
    04-08-11 12:24 AM
    "If you believe demographic studies, the workforce in their 20s and 30s isn't going to accept black corporate PCs with black corporate mobile phones and not be allowed to run Facebook or Angry Bird apps," he said.
    I don't know why, but this quote bothers me a bit.

And not because:
    1. BBs do have Facebook available as an app and via m.facebook.com. Just that the IT chose to block it.
    2. The iPhone is not available in white
    3. the article states that the computers were running Windows 2000. wouldn't they be Beige?
    Last edited by grahamf; 04-08-11 at 12:54 AM.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    04-08-11 12:51 AM
    Lol, your BB is on the same cellular network the other smartphones are. When your carrier's network get overfilled during peak times, your BB won't make calls or get on the web either. Remember that you need an initial Internet Gateway available before your BB can connect to the RIM NOC to work. That gateway is either cellular from your carrier or via WIFI and an ISP if your BB can do WIFI. I'd be more worried about an earthquake in Waterloo before anything else.

BTW, ever try to make a call during New Year's Eve or when something else big happens like 911? Ya, BB/iPhone/Android alike are all affected by overloaded cellular networks.
    yes, but due to the massive compression, Blackberrys can usually push out emails when other devices cannot get enough bandwith.
    04-08-11 01:03 AM
    yes, but due to the massive compression, Blackberrys can usually push out emails when other devices cannot get enough bandwith.
    Any device will choke if the network is congested.

And to above where the OP was called a troll for posting a news article, why are you...nevermind.
    04-08-11 03:02 AM
    I don't know why, but this quote bothers me a bit.

And not because:
    1. BBs do have Facebook available as an app and via m.facebook.com. Just that the IT chose to block it.
    2. The iPhone is not available in white
    3. the article states that the computers were running Windows 2000. wouldn't they be Beige?
    Right. Because when I hand an employee a phone I want to make sure that he/she can stay on Facebook all day and play Angry Birds while on the clock.
    04-08-11 04:13 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD