My son has an 8530 with software version 5.0.0.654 installed. After his phone was updated (some months ago now), he's been having issues with App World and his Internet connectivity. I just backed his device up, and the Applications list shows App World as being installed. When you look at the phone however, there is no icon, etc. for App World. He has no way of updating or installing apps, etc. from his device. Also, when we try to connect to the browser, there is no connectivity, even when we have enabled Wi-Fi. Some of his internet-dependent apps (such as WeatherEye) will not function.

I thought about wiping the phone and re-installing the software. He's a bit leary and so I thought I'd try in the Forums first.

Any suggestions???
    02-26-11 02:11 PM
    I think its a bit early to wipe the device. If you haven't already done so, hit the menu button from the home screen to "show all" in case it's hidden, also check the Applications an Download folders too. As far as the internet connectivity, you may want to run a diagnostic to see if the device is connected to your carrier's BIS. If not, re-register the device with the Host Routing Table, and select Register Now. You should receive a message that the device has been registered on the network. If that doesen't correct the issue, try resending the service books from the device or from a computer with your device connected. If that doesn't fix it, call your carrier and ask if they can resend the service books and ensure that there is a BB data plan properly provisioned.
    02-26-11 02:41 PM
    I think its a bit early to wipe the device. If you haven't already done so, hit the menu button from the home screen to "show all" in case it's hidden, also check the Applications an Download folders too. As far as the internet connectivity, you may want to run a diagnostic to see if the device is connected to your carrier's BIS. If not, re-register the device with the Host Routing Table, and select Register Now. You should receive a message that the device has been registered on the network. If that doesen't correct the issue, try resending the service books from the device or from a computer with your device connected. If that doesn't fix it, call your carrier and ask if they can resend the service books and ensure that there is a BB data plan properly provisioned.
    I looked under the menu and made sure that "show all" was selected. I looked under the different folders and nothing appears there, either. App World icon does not exist on his phone.

How do I run the BIS diagnostic? How would I re-register the Host Routing Table? And what are service books? Sorry... I simply have no idea on how to implement these suggestions.
    02-26-11 03:59 PM
    Just wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions? Next step is to wipe the phone...
    03-17-11 02:45 PM
    If you cannot find App World in the Home Screen, maybe you can launch it another way? See if you can assign it to one of your phone's side convenience keys.
    03-17-11 07:50 PM
    I looked under the menu and made sure that "show all" was selected. I looked under the different folders and nothing appears there, either. App World icon does not exist on his phone.

How do I run the BIS diagnostic? How would I re-register the Host Routing Table? And what are service books? Sorry... I simply have no idea on how to implement these suggestions.
    You have to re-do the Show All in each folder too, by the way.

First off the two basic questions:
    1. Is the device on a BlackBerry data plan from your carrier?

2. Have you tried a battery pull? With the device powered on, remove the battery, wait 30 seconds, then replace the battery. After the reboot see if anything's fixed.

Honestly I don't bother with the dignostics.
    My 1st suggestion would have been the Host Routing Table.

Open Options app (wrench icon) and select Advanced Options. Click H (or just scroll down) and select Host Routing Table. Click MENU (the  key to left of trackpad) and select Register Now.
    In your Messages app, you should receive a network message from RIM and/or your carrier. It's usually instantaneous, but could take up to 15 minutes. Once you get it do a battery pull.
    Following reboot, is Browser working? If not you'll not we'll try to re-send Service Books. (Service Books are pushed through by your carrier. Typically it's not anything you ever need to worry about.)

If Browser works but App World is still missing, then re-install App World. From your BB's Browser, go to: Download BlackBerry App World .
    If it asks for permission to replace one version of App World with the other, say yes! That's even if it says the same version.
    03-18-11 12:18 AM
    Moving to Native Apps
    03-18-11 12:43 PM
    You have to re-do the Show All in each folder too, by the way.

First off the two basic questions:
    1. Is the device on a BlackBerry data plan from your carrier?

2. Have you tried a battery pull? With the device powered on, remove the battery, wait 30 seconds, then replace the battery. After the reboot see if anything's fixed.

Honestly I don't bother with the dignostics.
    My 1st suggestion would have been the Host Routing Table.

Open Options app (wrench icon) and select Advanced Options. Click H (or just scroll down) and select Host Routing Table. Click MENU (the  key to left of trackpad) and select Register Now.
    In your Messages app, you should receive a network message from RIM and/or your carrier. It's usually instantaneous, but could take up to 15 minutes. Once you get it do a battery pull.
    Following reboot, is Browser working? If not you'll not we'll try to re-send Service Books. (Service Books are pushed through by your carrier. Typically it's not anything you ever need to worry about.)

If Browser works but App World is still missing, then re-install App World. From your BB's Browser, go to: Download BlackBerry App World .
    If it asks for permission to replace one version of App World with the other, say yes! That's even if it says the same version.
    To answer your questions...

1. He's with Telus on a Social Media plan. He does not have access to the Internet on his phone. I know I know... but it was a cheaper plan. I assume(d) that this was inherently a 'data' plan...

2. Have not tried the battery pull. I will do that and see how it goes.

I'll try to get to a Telus outlet and see if they can help if these don't work.

Do you think that not having Internet access could be contributing?

Thanks.
    03-18-11 04:51 PM
    To answer your questions...

1. He's with Telus on a Social Media plan. He does not have access to the Internet on his phone. I know I know... but it was a cheaper plan. I assume(d) that this was inherently a 'data' plan...

2. Have not tried the battery pull. I will do that and see how it goes.

I'll try to get to a Telus outlet and see if they can help if these don't work.

Do you think that not having Internet access could be contributing?
    Yes that's it. I am familiar with Telus' Social Plan. My little sis-in-law has its previous incarnation, the Student Plan.

Don't bother going to a Telus store:
    You cannot use App World on your device with the Social Plan. Sorry!

You're not completely left out anymore, however.
    I mentioned the App World webstore previously. You can find it here:
    BlackBerry App World - Home
    You should be able to set up a brand new BlackBerry ID from there and tie it in with his device PIN. (I hope.)

So you can download some apps to your PC, then install them with Desktop Manager. Just be sure that you don't bother with apps that requisition data to function, like weather apps, mapping/GPS apps, shopping apps, etc. You can try themes, most games, and numerous other apps.

I have NOT tried this myself as I have a data plan, so I apologize in advance if it doesn't work via the webstore. My understanding of the webstore is that it should work as I've described.

Maybe try to past back with your success in downloading apps this way so others that find this thread will know how it all worked out. Good luck!
    03-18-11 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD