05-13-11 04:27 AM
92 ... 234
tools
    ^^ what due google announce for android that made BBW look worse? From what I have read google announced next OS without much detail and with it being several month away, they realeased an update to HC and video chat. What else? Movie rentals? RIM announced a new OS, a new phone, major update to tablet OS, video chat, partnerships with Microsoft and some other stuff like BES to support iOS and Android. In hindsight I think I was more disappointed with i/o than BBW. I would have loved 4 device announcements with delivery dates in next 60 days but what can you do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-11 08:24 AM
    RIM does need better media partnerships like Netflix or amazon. So that is really where they are behind.

05-12-11 08:26 AM
    RIM does need better media partnerships like Netflix or amazon. So that is really where they are behind.

The Amazon Partnership IMO is the most important.

They NEED to have a Kindle app
    They NEED to have a Better MP3 Store
    They NEED to have a Video Download service

Amazon can provide that for Blackberry, and IF RIM REALLY partnered with Amazon they could build a quality application integrated into App world for accessing Amazon content from within App World.

Though I really believe Microsoft needs to get their heads out from whatever orifice it is in, and Build a quality Media distribution network, with which RIM could do a better partnership with.

OR RIM needs to do one, but really I believe Microsoft has the power to build the best Media Distribution network, and they have the history of working with many company's to share resources with allowing multiple people to connect to it.
    05-12-11 09:02 AM
    I am going to give you the old + 1 million in that DeRussett.

The media thing is part of catching up. RIM is just getting the hardware and UI experience down but is now behind the whole cloud media race. (of course google just added usb support for honeycomb....)

05-12-11 09:09 AM
    ^^ what due google announce for android that made BBW look worse? From what I have read google announced next OS without much detail and with it being several month away, they realeased an update to HC and video chat. What else? Movie rentals? RIM announced a new OS, a new phone, major update to tablet OS, video chat, partnerships with Microsoft and some other stuff like BES to support iOS and Android. In hindsight I think I was more disappointed with i/o than BBW. I would have loved 4 device announcements with delivery dates in next 60 days but what can you do.

they announced and release HC 3.1 and google TV integration. Some other things also. I wouldnt call it better but RIM was expected to do more than they did i think.
    05-12-11 09:15 AM
    I think you are right Howarmat. Its the expectations that come from speculation that kill these things. When you sit back and look at it I think RIM made much more significant announcements. They are behind, so maybe these aren't as significant because its still catch up. And of course not getting bb7 out by end of summer is going to hurt them. Still from what I saw i|o was really lame. Very incremental and not that big. That is imho. Best thing is the fragmentation partnership I guess.

05-12-11 09:52 AM
    I think BBW next year will showcase QNX phones with a release around a year after the Bold Touch
    Even IF RIM introduces a QNX phone, it will not pull them out of their current slump!

RIM is not used to the competition it is facing today. The big corp sales are gone and they are depending on individual users who have MANY choices!

QNX will just be another OS among so many more!
    05-12-11 09:53 AM
    Even IF RIM introduces a QNX phone, it will not pull them out of their current slump!

RIM is not used to the competition it is facing today. The big corp sales are gone and they are depending on individual users who have MANY choices!

QNX will just be another OS among so many more!
    That's just it. To the die hards around here..QNX is supposed to be the game changing, life saving OS for RIM. But their problem lies in the fact that BB's have lost almost all their cachet amongst general users..and unless RIM starts promoting QNX heavily..then it's going to take along time for those users that defected to even want to come back..especially at the rate everyone else is upping their game.

Not to say the QNX BB's wont' be good or won't be successful..but rather that RIM has lost ALOT of mindshare and that it will take along time to regain that..perhaps too long.
    05-12-11 10:13 AM
    i think once the handhelds get QNX they become more marketable to the public again. They can sit them next to the top line android and iOS and they can do much the same functions. They can now push them in the stores again because they have desirable features. Right now its they can do limited email and good messaging but the rest is not as much to brag about for a selling point
    05-12-11 10:27 AM
    Most of what the average person heard about BBW from the news organizations was more about Microsoft than it was about BB.... because the PlayBook is already old news.

Whereas Google is making all kinds of headlines with their Chromebooks, Android @ Home and their Music and Movie Rentals (even on Crackberry home page).

It is kind of frustrating, I believe RIM wants to make the needed changes and can see what they need to do (they have two road maps to follow). They just are not able to get the job done.
    05-12-11 11:25 AM
    The Amazon Partnership IMO is the most important.

They NEED to have a Kindle app
    They NEED to have a Better MP3 Store
    They NEED to have a Video Download service
    A Kindle app, they got. I have it installed on my Torch.

The other items I suppose are important to some people. I prefer full uncompressed waves at CD resolution or higher for music. And video? Unless it's short youtube clips, what's the point on anything less than a real monitor? Again, though, that's just me.

05-12-11 11:47 AM
    A Kindle app, they got. I have it installed on my Torch.

The other items I suppose are important to some people. I prefer full uncompressed waves at CD resolution or higher for music. And video? Unless it's short youtube clips, what's the point on anything less than a real monitor? Again, though, that's just me.

I should qualify that,
    They NEED a kindle app for all devices, Playbook included

I don't buy Digital music, and LOVE my 900+ DVD collection with no desire to move to BluRay, so neither of the factors matter to me,
    BUT. Those are major factors for Apple having the market it has, the iPod isn't a great piece of technology, actually ipod 1 was utter crap IMO compared to what was available, BUT the ipod had a distribution network for content, people like that, RIM needs a distribution network for content, as mobile phones are replacing MP3 players in many peoples lives

05-12-11 04:25 PM
    I should qualify that,

I don't buy Digital music, and LOVE my 900+ DVD collection with no desire to move to BluRay, so neither of the factors matter to me,
    BUT. Those are major factors for Apple having the market it has, the iPod isn't a great piece of technology, actually ipod 1 was utter crap IMO compared to what was available, BUT the ipod had a distribution network for content, people like that, RIM needs a distribution network for content, as mobile phones are replacing MP3 players in many peoples lives

agreed. Its about the ecosystem. RIM has BES for a business perspective but you need a digital media supply change to stream music and video. Now with the cloud services starting up that will become an expectation. Getting in with amazon's cloud player, or as deRusett mentioned working with MS on a similiar offering will be key soon.

(btw opera mini update fixes the typing lag issue!)

05-12-11 05:46 PM
    Most of what the average person heard about BBW from the news organizations was more about Microsoft than it was about BB.... because the PlayBook is already old news.

Whereas Google is making all kinds of headlines with their Chromebooks, Android @ Home and their Music and Movie Rentals (even on Crackberry home page).

It is kind of frustrating, I believe RIM wants to make the needed changes and can see what they need to do (they have two road maps to follow). They just are not able to get the job done.
    What CrackBerry states was that the movie rentals were already available for the PlayBook. All kinds of headlines for Google? I/O was mediocre at best. I was expecting a lot more than that.
    05-12-11 07:51 PM
    I'm not disappointed because I'm one to run my blackberry into the ground, then get a new blackberry afterwards

Why waste the $$$ when you can stick with what you got, be happy, and watch all the rest fly past with debt loads climbing up their legs (those "I need the latest of the latest", I feel sorry for you!) until they cannot afford anymore blackberries or smartphones.

Once it fails, then it's time to get a new one. That's how I roll.

PS. Still loving that P4 @ 1.8 GHz, 11 year old powerhouse!

05-12-11 09:43 PM
    That 1.8Ghz P4 with todays liquid cooling and RAM (well technically yesterdays ram). You could be running 2.8Ghz OC'd

I really miss my old northy. They were amazing

05-13-11 02:39 AM
    I should qualify that,
    Not just all devices, it needs to be all locations too as currently it is unavailable outside north america.
    05-13-11 04:27 AM
92 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD