05-13-11 03:27 AM
92 1234
tools
    I love my bold 9650
    05-06-11 04:01 PM
    The Bold touch will undoubtedly be a great phone and will function better then any BB to date. The question is, does it bring excitement to the BB brand? I don't think so.
    I'd disagree to an extent. This is the first BB phone where the browser is basically on par with other platforms due to the hardware constraints in the previous phones. That plus the entire OS being incredibly smooth, BB keyboard and extremely high pixel density on the touchscreen, there's plenty to be excited about.

Will it bring in Android/iphone users that were not previous BB users? Seriously doubt it. A lot of them don't even value a QWERTY keyboard and would dismiss this form factor off the bat, so...

Doesn't mean there's nothing to be excited about though.
    sf49ers likes this.
    05-06-11 05:53 PM
    We all knew that 9900/9930 would be the only phone they would announce in BBW, but we also thought that they would announce the release date, which of course they did not.
    Apple has only one model but for some reason, it is selling so well :-). They are very secretive but when they do announce, they also announce the exact date of the availability, which is usually within 30 days or so. I would prefer Apple's approach, rather than RIM leaking so much premature info just to buy time to prevent us from defecting.
    And I have to agree with posts elsewhere in this thread that we are hearing enough of PB and QNX.

Just release one good phone now, and take time to work on PB and QNX. We can wait for those. C'mon RIM!
    I agree about the PB and QNX talk! just release the 9930/9900
    05-06-11 06:14 PM
    People hated RIM last year when they released torch, bold, pearl, storm improvements. Why cant they just make one great phone?

This year they announce one great phone and people hate RIM.

Last year people hated RIM because of incremental improvements. Really, double RAM and trackpads. We need a cooler OS!

This year they release a cooler OS, with a much cooler OS on the way. People hatin RIM because it won't work on their phones. This will happen again when QNX don't work on the 9900, just like they've already said.

They hate because they are slow to release devices, then they hate because their 6 month old device is obsolete.

People are just gonna hate RIM.
    dodger_moore and sf49ers like this.
    05-06-11 06:46 PM
    People hated RIM last year when they released torch, bold, pearl, storm improvements. Why cant they just make one great phone?

Last year people hated RIM because of incremental improvements. Really, double RAM and trackpads. We need a cooler OS!

This year they release a cooler OS, with a much cooler OS on the way. People hatin RIM because it won't work on their phones. This will happen again when QNX don't work on the 9900, just like they've already said.

They hate because they are slow to release devices, then they hate because their 6 month old device is obsolete.

i love rim <3
    05-06-11 06:50 PM
    The only device that was actually improved was the Pearl which was woefully outdated. Everything else was completely pathetic and their sales reflected that in the US.

Thats right, they announced ONE PHONE. RIM is not Apple, RIM makes more than one phone, and people who want a form factor other than the Bold (which is the best imho) are S.O.L for the moment.

Sure those devices are coming down the road, but how long is down the road? Someone waiting a long time for their form factor to get upgraded might completely pass on it for QNX next year, or even worse, buy something not RIM.

Wait, lemme get this straight. You mean people who bought those "flagship devices" like the Torch, a 9 month old phone, are pissed cause they wont be getting a software update to the latest and greatest? Go ******* figure lol...for a flagship device, that is unacceptable regardless of who makes it.

Things like this shouldn't happen, because if the 9800 was bumping what was "standard admission" for the smartphone game back in 2010, it would have OS7 on it.

You mean people get pissed that a device takes forever and a day to come out, and then its completely outdated when it hits the market, and then get completely passed over for future improvements less than a year since its introduction?

The hate RIM gets is just, because they bring it upon themselves.
    05-06-11 08:32 PM
    The point is the device isn't even a year old and it will be stuck on the same OS it came with. No other device currently out (not made by RIM) is being treated so poorly with lack of newer updates.

For a device that was suppose to be a triple axel, and a quantum leap, they are leaving it on the back burner.

It was called out a year ago. The specs on the device really killed it.
    Thank you and here in Holland its only been out Since October of last year.
    05-06-11 10:04 PM
    So RIM is fragmenting the **** out of their OS? How fair is that to the developers and consumers ? Everyone says android is fragmented but if I buy an app from android market I can use it on another device but if I buy an app on blackberry app world on os6 will I have to buy it again on os7 and qnx?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Mrlovkim, howarmat, Machzy and 1 others like this.
    05-07-11 01:43 AM
    Well after all the info I got from the recent conference I have to say you could have summed it all up in one day. This was RIMs opportunity to make excuses for playbooks halfbaked early release of a product not living up to it's expectations. Oh and by the way let's throw the phone junkies a bone.
    05-07-11 08:17 AM
    I'd disagree to an extent. This is the first BB phone where the browser is basically on par with other platforms due to the hardware constraints in the previous phones.
    Actually..according to BMX..while much improved over previous browsers..it still falls short in comparisons to current phones..and judging by the PB's browser in its current state (checkerboarding and slow load times) I'd wager RIM has a lot of work to do to get these things "on par"..
    05-07-11 08:50 AM
    So RIM is fragmenting the **** out of their OS? How fair is that to the developers and consumers ? Everyone says android is fragmented but if I buy an app from android market I can use it on another device but if I buy an app on blackberry app world on os6 will I have to buy it again on os7 and qnx?

Not always. I tried to get a screenshot app for my Atrix and the one I wanted did not work on it.
    05-07-11 02:56 PM

I agree that RIM is on a road to some pretty serious fragmentation, but it certainly won't hit the level that it is in the Android space. There are apps that don't run on certain devices with the same OS version because of the type of overlay/bloat/Sense/Blur/ad infinitum add-ons that may be present.

Having said that, this is what I gleaned from BB World: With only one official "half-announcement" of the 99xx with BB OS 7, still built on the current platform and likely not going to make a market debut until mid/late summer, that puts OS 7 other products (Touch, Curve, etc) even later into 2011 which means that 2012 will be a year of OS7, with possibly a glimpse of QNX devices late in 2012. I hope I'm wrong and that things will go faster than that...
    05-07-11 04:39 PM
    Having said that, this is what I gleaned from BB World: With only one official "half-announcement" of the 99xx with BB OS 7, still built on the current platform and likely not going to make a market debut until mid/late summer, that puts OS 7 other products (Touch, Curve, etc) even later into 2011 which means that 2012 will be a year of OS7, with possibly a glimpse of QNX devices late in 2012. I hope I'm wrong and that things will go faster than that...
    I think some people are reading too much into the 9900/9930 being the only device announced officially, the odds are that release dates will be fairly similar for all three of the main models. Just showing the one device let them put the focus of the show on what is basically the quintessential blackberry design out of these new devices rather than things being diluted by a range of devices with similar specs and only varying by form factor.

Personally, I think they did go a bit too far with this approach and that they should have had the 9900/30 lead off the show and be available to try out the way they did it, but then later in the week they should have also officially announced Torch 2 and Monaco/Monza as they grew out of the whole one size fits all thing years ago.
    05-08-11 05:44 AM
    as someone who has been down on RIM for the last 2 years, I was pumped up and re-energized seeing the bold touch. Sure, I would have like to have seen a few more models, but everyone is always complaining about RIM releasing the same device over and over again. The bold touch should be a huge hit if and when it hits VZW....BB world seemed fine
    That's one thing I've never understood, the iPhone has been the same since the beginning. What else can you do with a candybar qwerty phone? Nothing, because the design is perfect.
    05-08-11 10:24 AM
    That's one thing I've never understood, the iPhone has been the same since the beginning. What else can you do with a candybar qwerty phone? Nothing, because the design is perfect.
    It's not perfect. They've been releasing tiny iterations of the same exact phones for years. This is the first time they made a big leap and it's one they should have made a long time ago. It's about not resting on your laurels. The second you accept the fact that your phone is fine the way it is, is the second your business starts going downhill. You have to constantly look to innovate whether it's the feel of the device, the material its made out of, the cameras, the software, the thickness, the buttons, the screen size, the shape of the phone, etc....

There's always something that can be tweaked that will make a significant difference. And if you genuinely are running out of things to do with the hardware then you constantly update to make the software evolve at a great pace to make the user experience better, something they've also haven't done. Better late than never on the bold touch but hopefully it's the beginning of a long line of everlasting innovation, but for some reason I doubt it :/ But one can hope!
    05-08-11 03:58 PM
    I don't see a new RIM. I think you are seeing new blood in the middle ranks pushing the products in certain directions but the same staunchy tired leadership. The playbook never should have seen light of day until after BB 6.1/7 devices were announced or launched which should have been in Q4 2010. The playbook should have been announced at bbw in 2011 and a available in wifi and 4g versions by august. (that means with native email). The order they released stuff alone tells me they are rudderless.

Basically BBW could have been a big sign saying "Under Construction, see you in 2013". And no, I don't mean 2012 since they will be late in 2011 before BB7 devices will be available.

I do like the picture I see forming. Would have loved some more in depth info in bing integration. That scares most of us so I was disappointed by CB's coverage of that announcement. Never even saw a video posted of the demos that were given. (sorry if its up, been in disney with the kids so I haven't been paying much attention)

05-08-11 06:40 PM
    Anyone that has done any actual marketing knows that summer time is a terrible
    time to bring out new products. Folks are outside, on vacations, doing things and
    TV viewership is down.

Fall, just before school starts is a good time and during the period between
    Turkey Day and Xmas.

The PB and it's improvements/additions will keep things rolling along with the new handset.

Then in the fall I think you will see one or two new handsets come out for the back to school and holiday folks along with the 10" PB..

QNX will probably land sometime in early 2012 with a bang.

So why bring out a bunch of handsets in late 2011 just to make then
    EOL the very next Spring. I can hear folks whining about that already.

Timing, placement and impact are a must.

Folks whine that the PB was not ready, but then all I see here is hurry up and get it out the door already. Geesh..

I am as impatient as anyone on this planet, but I see what they are trying to do
    and I hope they follow through and make it count.

Tim
    05-08-11 08:20 PM
    time to bring out new products. Folks are outside, on vacations, doing things and
    TV viewership is down.

Turkey Day and Xmas.

The PB and it's improvements/additions will keep things rolling along with the new handset.

Then in the fall I think you will see one or two new handsets come out for the back to school and holiday folks along with the 10" PB..

Folks whine that the PB was not ready, but then all I see here is hurry up and get it out the door already. Geesh..

I am as impatient as anyone on this planet, but I see what they are trying to do

Tim
    To those people, I say: imagine how much whining there would be if RIM didn't introduce anything else until 2012, not to mention deeper market share loss, and possibly even a decline in sales. RIM has to introduce new phones this year, regardless of what's coming next year; and they have to be a$$-kickers, or it won't be worth introducing them at all.
    05-08-11 09:08 PM
    To those people, I say: imagine how much whining there would be if RIM didn't introduce anything else until 2012, not to mention deeper market share loss, and possibly even a decline in sales. RIM has to introduce new phones this year, regardless of what's coming next year; and they have to be a$$-kickers, or it won't be worth introducing them at all.
    "a$$-kickers, or it won't be worth introducing them at all."

and this may exactly why they are waiting..

Tim
    05-08-11 09:58 PM
    i guess RIM knows nothing about marketing since they released this in summer.

One phone out of how many they have on the road map?

Its called tossing one a bone....

Mark my words, the ones that take said bone will be in here
    whinning when the new QNX phones come out and their stuck
    with a 2 year contract.

Also the word "released" is past tense...

Tim
    05-08-11 10:01 PM
    The Bold 9650 came out on June 10th 2010 for Sprint...which still leads me to believe that the Bold 9930 will be availible at Sprint before the end of June.

No, the bold 9650 came out on May 23rd for Sprint. I got 3 of them on release day. It may have been June 10th for Verizon. I don't think the release of that phone will have anything to do with the release of the 9930 though. When its ready it will be released I think.
    05-08-11 11:04 PM
    Extremely dissappointed. No news on monaco or a release time frame within a month for the new bold.

05-09-11 03:48 AM
    TV viewership is down.

Turkey Day and Xmas.

Tim
    early 2012?
    i highly doubt it

probably about 1 year later after the 9900/9930 gets released
    05-09-11 04:37 AM
    I think BBW next year will showcase QNX phones with a release around a year after the Bold Touch
    05-09-11 10:27 AM
    After Google I/o just ended. Blackberry world is even more disappointing. Everybody was saying that blackberry will catch up but it is true they will catch up if apple and Google stands still(which rim did for years), which apparently isn't happening. After Google I/o they are focused on pushing out cool new features to push the industry.

05-12-11 01:30 AM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD