05-13-11 04:27 AM
92 1234
tools
    Why the BlackBerry Torch 2 has already failed before it's shipped | DVICE

BlackBerry OS 6.1 Announced with Magnetometer Support

look at the date plz
    of course they're rumors, but thats obvious
    even tho the bold 9900/9930 wasnt even officially announced until 3 days ago, everyone knew it'd be released

you just didnt inform yourself, just admit it
    ... to do ur own research and now you're stuck with a device you dont want (for 2 years)
    and ur blaming RIM ...

makes me laugh, you're a joke
    mhh, i'll be enjoying the bold 9000 and OS 7 : )
    05-05-11 02:57 PM
    torch release date: august 2010

you: i'll wait
    march 2011:

"ahh, i'll buy it"

2 months later
    "new devices coming out? new OS coming out? fu rim !!!!"

clever

edit: the next OS will be QNX (available in 2012)
    already telling you, since you cant do ur own research
    buwee likes this.
    05-05-11 03:01 PM
    Me, I'm greatly disappointed at BBW. The only good thing out of it was the 6000 that got a free playbook or paid 599 for the ticket to get your playbook. After browsing around my daily BB forums, I read from BGR that they got confirmation the Bold won't be released in June/July, it will be late Aug maybe. WTF! I know they have to keep up with technology on the tablets but to keep blowing off the phones. The other phones are projected for announcement at Dev Asia in Oct. So this will mean mid 2012 on the release of the other phone. No freakin wonder why apple and droid are beginning to dominate. I'm a BB lover but I've considered the Atrix Droid but I'm still devoted to BB. Come on Blackberry get your **** into gear and start producing phones

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I agree from the perspective that there should be phones being released soon. But I also think that there is cause to be excited here. That Bold 9930 is going to be an Amazing phone. There is no reason to panic here.

I want RIM to be on top of the pile as well, but I'm also sure that to get there you have to be ready to combat everything else that is in front of you. Kevin made a great point on the last 2 pod casts: Android has SAVED several carriers from their Demise. Motorola, Samsung, HTC, were all putting out Horrid phones, and the Android platform is saving them.

Compare those companies to RIM individually and RIM smacks them around like the Biggest kid on the Playground. Yes, under the Google phone platform, flying 1 flag, they are Many, and they look Strong. But in reality these companies are weak individually, and have nothing on RIM. They are being saved by the overreaching idea that "Droid Does" when in reality, Google Phone makers are Loosely affiliated, and getting less consistent as the platform evolves.

Last edited by CranBerry413; 05-05-11 at 03:19 PM.
    05-05-11 03:17 PM
    I was disappointed with everything. I simply have no interest in the playbook and they took all there time to talk about that. In reality , its the right thing to do since they are trying to push the product, but the loyal fanbase is in the phones.

Hearing about one phone was disappointing, esp without a release date. I really looked at bb world as a reason for RIM to tell me WHY i should stay with blackberry, or at least give me a reason to stick around, and quite frankly they havent.

An August release for the 9900 is a lil far off and i was hopeing to get a new BB beginning of summer, not the end of it. The sad part about it is that they dont even know if its gunna be August, could be even later.

Everyone talks about the QNX phones but in reality, who wants to wait until 2012 for a phone. People are thinking about right now or the near future and it really seems that RIGHT NOW , Rim is very behind everyone else when it comes to phones.

Im still gunna stick with my blackberry for now , but Ive had some serious interest in the G2X. So hopefully ill hear something before i switch.

The sad part about it , in the last week alone , 6 of the people on my bbm list have left blackberry. My BBM list gets shorter and shorter each week cuz so many people are getting rid of them.
    05-05-11 03:40 PM
    I was disappointed with everything. I simply have no interest in the playbook and they took all there time to talk about that. In reality , its the right thing to do since they are trying to push the product, but the loyal fanbase is in the phones.

Hearing about one phone was disappointing, esp without a release date. I really looked at bb world as a reason for RIM to tell me WHY i should stay with blackberry, or at least give me a reason to stick around, and quite frankly they havent.

An August release for the 9900 is a lil far off and i was hopeing to get a new BB beginning of summer, not the end of it. The sad part about it is that they dont even know if its gunna be August, could be even later.

Everyone talks about the QNX phones but in reality, who wants to wait until 2012 for a phone. People are thinking about right now or the near future and it really seems that RIGHT NOW , Rim is very behind everyone else when it comes to phones.

Im still gunna stick with my blackberry for now , but Ive had some serious interest in the G2X. So hopefully ill hear something before i switch.

The sad part about it , in the last week alone , 6 of the people on my bbm list have left blackberry. My BBM list gets shorter and shorter each week cuz so many people are getting rid of them.
    I think you hit the nail on the head but even disappointed I still love the Torch, don't care for the other bb phones and maybe when the Torch2 comes out I might just buy it or not.
    05-05-11 03:55 PM
    BlackBerry | Facebook

add them and post on their facebook that they need to hurry up. Maybe they'll get the message since they aren't getting the message from their stockholders.

I should make this a whole new thread and may still.
    05-05-11 04:47 PM
    We got the same thing last year. They announced Pearl 3G (whatever happened to pearl 3g anyway?) and Bold (for sprint and verizon) and os6 (which was a big improvement over os5) but that was about it. Everyone was expecting new phones, new this, new that, and nothing happened.

We all should have known the same thing was going to happen this year.

I'm not disappointed at all, I was expecting worse actually.
    Mrlovkim likes this.
    05-05-11 05:13 PM
    BB is the new Palm

breaks my heart to say it...but I feel its true =(
    05-05-11 05:49 PM
    I'm not disappointed at all! We all knew the 9900/9930 was getting announced and it did on day 1.(which cannot wait for it) Rim came through with there promise on the playbook update. And from what blaize said it looks like a new rim I'll take his word on it since he witnessed it first hand! We all know that there will be the torch 2,and manaco coming out to. And by the way doesn't apple only drop 1 phone a year? patience people
    05-05-11 06:08 PM
    That's cause apple only needs to drop only 1 phone a year.
    I couldn't imagine what havoc they would wreak if they dropped say 2-3 :O

05-05-11 07:57 PM
    That's cause apple only needs to drop only 1 phone a year.
    I couldn't imagine what havoc they would wreak if they dropped say 2-3 :O

They would mostly just cannibalize their own sales... Releasing more phones isn't automatically better.
    Mrlovkim and sf49ers like this.
    05-05-11 08:15 PM
    torch release date: august 2010

you: i'll wait
    march 2011:

"ahh, i'll buy it"

2 months later
    "new devices coming out? new OS coming out? fu rim !!!!"

clever

edit: the next OS will be QNX (available in 2012)
    already telling you, since you cant do ur own research
    The point is the device isn't even a year old and it will be stuck on the same OS it came with. No other device currently out (not made by RIM) is being treated so poorly with lack of newer updates.

For a device that was suppose to be a triple axel, and a quantum leap, they are leaving it on the back burner.

It was called out a year ago. The specs on the device really killed it.
    Mrlovkim likes this.
    05-05-11 08:41 PM
    The major disappointment for me was that I was hoping for BBW to be a major turning point after an extended period of down time. It seems like that downtime is not yet complete and all eyes are looking towards DevCon.

I want RIM to up the marketing and they're supposed to be coming out with alot of things "in the summer" however where is the large event/venue that they'll release the information?

In the Summer:
    Native Email and PIM on PlayBook
    PlayBook with 4G/LTE/Wiimax and all that jazz
    Native NDK for PlayBook
    Android App Player, maybe BB Java App Player
    New Phone(s) on OS7

And seriously..if they don't release BBOS 7 until August..can they justify the one year shelf life of this 'jaw' dropping OS before they scrap it and rewrite with QNX? Initially it was said that the original OS7 (now OS8) was supposed to be a hydrid, best of 6.1 and QNX.
    I don't know how much longer to wait...I'm overdue for a major upgrade soon on hardware.
    05-05-11 08:56 PM
    rim should not even have had copy apple by releasing one phone at their major event. to me,by doing so this is definitely a big blow. they should've outed the monaco/monza and either the torch 2 or curve touch as well.its a blown business opportunity to gain more sales through customers.and if they push the other devices to fall, then you going have to compete with the release of the apple iphone 5.rim needs to take their heads out of the gutter and realize that they need to pick up the pace now or else.
    Last edited by chetan1285; 05-05-11 at 09:09 PM.
    05-05-11 09:03 PM
    Who knows when the phones will drop? They could drop all within a month or 2 who knows? It's already may. I think it will happen sooner than we think jmo
    05-05-11 09:07 PM
    I'm not disappointed at all! We all knew the 9900/9930 was getting announced and it did on day 1.(which cannot wait for it) Rim came through with there promise on the playbook update. And from what blaize said it looks like a new rim I'll take his word on it since he witnessed it first hand! We all know that there will be the torch 2,and manaco coming out to. And by the way doesn't apple only drop 1 phone a year? patience people
    We all knew that 9900/9930 would be the only phone they would announce in BBW, but we also thought that they would announce the release date, which of course they did not.
    Apple has only one model but for some reason, it is selling so well :-). They are very secretive but when they do announce, they also announce the exact date of the availability, which is usually within 30 days or so. I would prefer Apple's approach, rather than RIM leaking so much premature info just to buy time to prevent us from defecting.
    And I have to agree with posts elsewhere in this thread that we are hearing enough of PB and QNX.

Just release one good phone now, and take time to work on PB and QNX. We can wait for those. C'mon RIM!
    05-05-11 10:12 PM
    they should've outed the monaco/monza and either the torch 2 or curve touch as well.
    They should have "announced" other phones as well, in addition to 9900/9930, which they merely "announced". Because RIM merely "announce" new phones, what's the point of holding off the "announcement" of other phones such as Monaco and so forth?

Yes, I am getting really sarcastic.
    05-05-11 10:17 PM
    What's really driving me crazy about this whole thing is that when we got the leaks of all the new phones months ago (as well as the road maps) it clearly showed that the Bold Touch and the Monaco were both in the same time slot (Q3):

2011 BlackBerry Smartphone Roadmap Explained in Detail | CrackBerry.com

Now maybe that roadmap isn't 100% accurate and maybe it's just another rumour. But, the fact that they didn't announce any other phone at BBworld is proof that no other BB is going to be released before the fall besides the Bold.

So the new Torch, new Storm, new Curve, etc. are all 'supposedly' going to be released fall/winter of this year.

So if that's true, then there's no way that the QNX phones will be released in Jan-March 2012. It would have to be at least summer and more likely fall/winter.
    05-05-11 11:55 PM
    All of you people complaining about release dates will always complain about a release date, period....

Yeah, it would be nice to have an idea when these would come out, but it is what it is....it will eventually get here. If that impatient, there is plenty of alternatives....

This is nothing new on RIM's part....we can all sit here and banter back and forth, but the faithful and or peeps that frequent here know better, or just want to stir the pot for whatever reason....
    05-06-11 02:33 AM
    In some ways, I can understand RIM not mentioning specific release dates, or even general. It's not really up to them. The carriers determine that.

I remember last year's WES 2010, you know, the last BlackBerry World before it was renamed "BlackBerry World". The Bold 9650 and the Pearl 3G 9100 were announced. The Curve 3G also a bit later. This was at the end April. The Bold and Pearl were said to be coming in May, the following month.

I don't know how well the 9650 panned out with that date. I was only following the Pearl as that was what I was looking forward to as a replacement for my aging Pearl 8100 (that tells you how long I will hang on to a device).

Well, the 9100 was delayed and didn't start showing up until June and July - everywhere... but the U.S.

Late July saw the Pearl show up at the regional carrier, Cincinnati Bell. But they didn't like to sell outside their coverage area.

What about my own carrier? The one who's logo and name was silkscreened at the bottom of those shiny new Pearls, who's name showed up at the top of the screens on the display models everyone played with? Well, after a good 5 whole months, AT&T finally "announced" that they would carry the Pearl 3G and Curve 3G... in early October. That's almost 6 months after RIM's announcement of the devices.

Oh, and by the way, the Torch was released about a month and a half before the Pearl and Curve on AT&T. Yet there wasn't a peep about the Torch at the WES (yet there were rumors and leaks as early as mid-to-late 2009).

Apparently there is a bit of disconnect between RIM and the carriers. The carriers have lots of phones they have to spread out. Last year, AT&T should have put the Pearl out almost right after the WES, but they waited too long. Soon after, it was Summer and the iPhone 4 came out. Well, you can't make Steve Jobs wait, now can you? Then they had the Torch by late August that they pushed... and pushed...

So, consider that when comparing what RIM announced against what actually comes out, and when.

I kept waited for AT&T to do a good deal on the Pearl, but never did. They kept the contract price at $150 and never discounted it. Same price as the 9700 was at during that time. To this day, a new one is still at that price (although, they do finally offer a refurb for free with contract). This still amazes me for a phone intended to be more of a "consumer" phone. I ended up getting a refurb Torch for 1 cent last December.

A bit long winded, I know. But that's my assessment of the lack of release date info.

05-06-11 11:36 AM
    check this out, joshua topolsky's take on bbw. sorry guys everything he says is true, stop denying it. rim needs to act faster theyre no longer first and they keep making wrong moves

BlackBerry World: Now Wait for Last Year | This is my next...
    05-06-11 02:51 PM
    check this out, joshua topolsky's take on bbw. sorry guys everything he says is true, stop denying it. rim needs to act faster theyre no longer first and they keep making wrong moves

BlackBerry World: Now Wait for Last Year | This is my next...
    I read that article yesterday. It's pretty good and states exactly what I mentioned on the other page about the Torch.

This 1 major OS a year thing is not good. Especially when you announce the newer devices and the older ones (OS 6 devices) are automatically EOL. OS 6 devices will stay on OS 6 (which is sad considering these devices are 8 months old TOPS) and OS 7 devices ASAIK will stay OS7. RIM already mentioned QNX is a multicore platform, so these OS 7 devices will have the same fate as the OS 6 devices.
    05-06-11 03:07 PM
    4th quarter
    05-06-11 03:14 PM
    In some ways, I can understand RIM not mentioning specific release dates, or even general. It's not really up to them. The carriers determine that.

I remember last year's WES 2010, you know, the last BlackBerry World before it was renamed "BlackBerry World". The Bold 9650 and the Pearl 3G 9100 were announced. The Curve 3G also a bit later. This was at the end April. The Bold and Pearl were said to be coming in May, the following month.

I don't know how well the 9650 panned out with that date. I was only following the Pearl as that was what I was looking forward to as a replacement for my aging Pearl 8100 (that tells you how long I will hang on to a device).

Well, the 9100 was delayed and didn't start showing up until June and July - everywhere... but the U.S.

Late July saw the Pearl show up at the regional carrier, Cincinnati Bell. But they didn't like to sell outside their coverage area.

What about my own carrier? The one who's logo and name was silkscreened at the bottom of those shiny new Pearls, who's name showed up at the top of the screens on the display models everyone played with? Well, after a good 5 whole months, AT&T finally "announced" that they would carry the Pearl 3G and Curve 3G... in early October. That's almost 6 months after RIM's announcement of the devices.

Oh, and by the way, the Torch was released about a month and a half before the Pearl and Curve on AT&T. Yet there wasn't a peep about the Torch at the WES (yet there were rumors and leaks as early as mid-to-late 2009).

Apparently there is a bit of disconnect between RIM and the carriers. The carriers have lots of phones they have to spread out. Last year, AT&T should have put the Pearl out almost right after the WES, but they waited too long. Soon after, it was Summer and the iPhone 4 came out. Well, you can't make Steve Jobs wait, now can you? Then they had the Torch by late August that they pushed... and pushed...

So, consider that when comparing what RIM announced against what actually comes out, and when.

I kept waited for AT&T to do a good deal on the Pearl, but never did. They kept the contract price at $150 and never discounted it. Same price as the 9700 was at during that time. To this day, a new one is still at that price (although, they do finally offer a refurb for free with contract). This still amazes me for a phone intended to be more of a "consumer" phone. I ended up getting a refurb Torch for 1 cent last December.

A bit long winded, I know. But that's my assessment of the lack of release date info.

The Bold 9650 came out on June 10th 2010 for Sprint...which still leads me to believe that the Bold 9930 will be availible at Sprint before the end of June.

05-06-11 03:29 PM
    I have to agree with the folks that think BBW was a disapointment. Events like this can be quanitified by one thing... excitement.

The Bold touch will undoubtedly be a great phone and will function better then any BB to date. The question is, does it bring excitement to the BB brand? I don't think so. A QNX BB (what OS7 should have been) would have blown everyone away. The bottom line is the first Bold Touch to be bought by a consumer will already be EOL due to the massive OS change coming down the pipe... I can't get excited over that and I'm not alone

The PB apps did bring some excitement to the table. It was nice seeing Android apps on the BB and native email. Hopefully RIM keeps this progress up and does not let deadlines slide.

Overall on a 1-10 scale I give RIM a 4 for BBW. They have the pieces in place and with another iteration of the PB and QNX BB's coming out I think they can get to a 8-9 at next year's BBW.
    05-06-11 04:52 PM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD