08-08-10 06:35 PM
86 1234
tools
    A lot of people are complaining about the inability to seek with the media player; that is just not true. There IS a built in seek function, but (from a usability standpoint) it's not particularly intuitive to invoke.

To access seek function in media player:
    1) Open Media player (duh)
    2) Play a random track
    3) While track is playing, tap (don't click) album art. Seek bar will pop up.
    4) On the seek bar, click once somewhere on bar to zero in on point on track
    5) Click again to jump to point

It would be must more intuitive if swiping could 'tune' to a particular point and clicking once to select, but what can you do?

Can someone else confirm they're seeing the functionality I am?
    yep, works the same for me.
    01-07-09 01:15 PM
    What's not to like about it? It plays music/video, sorts by artist/album/etc, displays album art... what else can a media player do?

My volume works fine.
    I totally agree then again I have no need to use podcast
    01-08-09 02:34 PM
    I have not used my Ipod Touch since I got the Storm, it handles all my media needs.....

Actually that's not true, I was using it for wifi internet last night and I kept pressing the screen WAY too hard... lol!
    01-08-09 02:37 PM
    I gotta say, I'm not too pleased with it overall. You would think that with such a loud speaker, that the headphone volume would be something to write home about...absolutely not! With the sound of traffic behind me I can barely hear at all, and its useless with something like the train behind you. Bear in mind that this is with volume at max, too.

Also, the lack of a seek function absolutely blows. How am I supposed to seek through songs while driving?
    I've not experienced these problems -- first, the volume seems just fine for me. Maybe not as loud as an iPod, but definitely loud enough. I also use in-ear headphones which block out noise. I presume if you use crappy iPod headphones, that, yes, you will hear noise from the outside.

Also, people use "seek" these days? Even on a 4-minute song? You probably shouldn't be operating the Storm at all while driving, but that's another story.

The visual interface needs some improvement (especially in landscape), and also, it shouldn't automatically play the first song from a playlist when you click on the playlist. It should show the songs in the playlist!!
    01-08-09 02:49 PM
    I gotta say, I'm not too pleased with it overall. You would think that with such a loud speaker, that the headphone volume would be something to write home about...absolutely not! With the sound of traffic behind me I can barely hear at all, and its useless with something like the train behind you. Bear in mind that this is with volume at max, too.

Also, the lack of a seek function absolutely blows. How am I supposed to seek through songs while driving?

Finally, the podcast support is lackluster at best. I sorely miss the memory function of my iPod, which remembered where I left off on a podcast if I have to come back to it later

I love my storm, but this is not cool, RIM!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    what kind of headphones do you use.?
    01-08-09 02:59 PM
    Should display album art on an album list, and should be able to flick forward and back through tracks, like you can with photos.

The camera and video camera cause my storm to crash and reset with an ap error.

Using BT the volume often resets to zero after each song.

I have had great luck using WMP to synch music and copy album art. For DRM protected tracks - you need to first put non-drm tracks on the phone, then put the phone in MTP and not Mass Storage Mode, and then you can transfer and play DRM tracks on the storm.

The seek only works some times. Unless somebody knows an absolutely certain way to bring up the track bar every time.
    01-08-09 03:01 PM
    ok so how do i put my vids on this *****?
    01-08-09 03:19 PM
    Also, people use "seek" these days? Even on a 4-minute song?
    audio ≠ songs

You probably shouldn't be operating the Storm at all while driving, but that's another story.
    You should be able to pause, unpause, and move to the next or previous track while driving. You should be able to scrub through a track with one hand while sitting at a red light. If you can't, the interface is too complicated.

I have had great luck using WMP to synch music and copy album art. For DRM protected tracks - you need to first put non-drm tracks on the phone, then put the phone in MTP and not Mass Storage Mode, and then you can transfer and play DRM tracks on the storm.
    What is MTP and how do you get it to not start in mass storage mode?

The seek only works some times. Unless somebody knows an absolutely certain way to bring up the track bar every time.
    Bringing up the track bar is easy. Tap on the screen. Don't click, just tap. IOW, do what you would do if this were a touchscreen phone that didn't have a clickable screen. Anywhere but where the play/pause, etc. buttons are.

The hard part is actually getting it to FFWD to the right spot.

This would be less of a problem if it would just remember where I was in the first place.
    01-08-09 03:56 PM
    Anyone have an issue in .75 where the audio boost and EQ don't work? It's really annoying!
    01-27-09 12:21 PM
    disappointed? no

not up to par with the ipod? well of course, who is?
    01-27-09 12:43 PM
    I just discovered some shortcuts you can use with the volume control:

Hold volume up - goes to the next track
    Hold volume down - goes to the previous track

Cool!
    WTF!! I would think the volume buttons increase/decrease the volume. Audio plays way too low for my liking.
    01-28-09 05:39 PM
    WTF!! I would think the volume buttons increase/decrease the volume. Audio plays way too low for my liking.
    Tap up = volume up
    Hold up = next track

but if you double tap volume up/down too fast it'll think it's a hold.
    01-28-09 06:32 PM
    I don't know about videow, because I don't have many on mine personally, but the music is just done for me. The sound quality is better on my storm than my ipod usually as well.
    There are little things that are frustrating but I find that using it as a music player alternative works fine. I just hate having to carry my ipod AND my phone at once.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 10:02 AM
    No problems with volume on mine. Could be a touch louder but overall it works pretty well.

I do have another issue though. Sorry if this has already been posted about but I didn't see anything about it after doing a lot of forum searches. When I am listening to a song on my Storm and a SMS or Email gets sent to me it will vibrate then the song will stop abruptly then the audio alert kicks in and then after a pause the song will abruptly begin playing again.

To me this should be a variable that the user can adjust to his/her liking. For me I'd like to not have the song stop at all if a message comes in I'd like to be able to just keep listening to the song and check the messages later if I want. And if I did have it set to pause the song when a message comes in I'd like the volume to fade out and in instead of painfully bursting out and in.

Any thoughts?
    01-29-09 02:23 PM
    What's not to like about it? It plays music/video, sorts by artist/album/etc, displays album art... what else can a media player do?

My volume works fine.

I can't get mine to display album art.
    01-29-09 02:49 PM
    Well, at least it has an equalizer, something my curve didn't have. I rip my CD's at the highest quality so I get pretty good sound without much loss (big files though). I agree about the volume, it could go to 11. Another thing, the quality of the ear buds that you use can make a big difference. I found a company that makes the best ear buds (I think) on the market, Entymotic Research at: http://www.etymotic.com/?crcat=ppc&crsource=google&crkw=magnificentmusic&g clid=CPurhq6stZgCFQ9JagodVHAXbg. Warning! they ain't cheap and they'll set you back at least a couple of Franklins, but they are the best and I can tell you that they can turn any half-*** media player into a really good one. No, I don't work for the company. Just an FYI, if you've got the bucks, go for it.
    01-29-09 09:38 PM
    Fastforwarding to specific points in long files is annoying. I had a file that was two hours long. I could get it to FFWD or REW in chunks smaller than three or four minutes. Annoying.
    01-30-09 01:00 AM
    Wow as a musician who's half deaf from years of blasting loud music into his ears, my phone is PLENTY loud with the headphones on. In fact I find myself turning the volume down a lot of times.
    01-30-09 02:07 AM
    The music pausing during incoming alerts has been there since .65 for me at least.

The music volume lowering when incoming alerts happens to me but then it automatically restores itself. I'm running .90 but my phone has done this since at least .83 (when I bought my moto t505 for my work truck)
    01-30-09 02:17 AM
    My biggest problem is the Storms media in general.
    First off, as others have said, the volume is too low.
    Secondly, it pauses the media player when an alert is received (for about 5 seconds).
    Thirdly, when using a third party app for media (Slacker, Berry Tunes, any Navigation App [Nave4All]), alerts stops the media all together and it will not resume at all! I used to use my Curve for turn-by-turn directions, now with the Storm, its worthless. I have to restart the App every time I get an alert.
    Lastly, with my Curve I was able to play any number of media sources simultaneously (i.e. media player with Turn-By-Turn) now if I have media playing, once the first direction is announced it shuts off and doesnt resume.
    The Storm is a HUGE Step back in terms of media capabilities.
    02-10-09 05:15 PM
    I just recently purchased the storm and downloaded music and movies that were already on my computer with ease. The picture quality and sound is beautiful. Not sure if I have a newer version, but it all works well for me.
    02-12-09 03:42 PM
    I too will agree picture and sound quality is phenomenal. Absolutely love the vibrant screen and especially the speaker on the Storm. Navigation is also fine on the Storm even when using the bar to navigate large movies.

That being said, the gold standard is the iPhone/iPod Touch media player and well, it's just not there in terms of ease of use.

Closing in though and I appreciate the large improvement over previous Blackberry devices.
    02-12-09 03:45 PM
    I agree that the Media Player on the Storm leaves A LOT to be desired. The Iphone is MUCH louder. I listen to music LOUD and this thing doesn't really crank it out, even WITH the "Boost" on. What a joke! Add that to the other issues, like the imperfect typing, the delay switching between portrait and landscape modes, the fact that the media player actually crashes and I have to remove the battery and reboot to get it playing again, and it is blatantly apparent that the Storm was rushed to market to combat IPhone. IMHO the only "Storm" coming is the angry e-mails sure to show up at Blackberry HQ from outraged storm users. Frankly, I can't understand why I don't return this thing and go back to my old Pearl
    02-19-09 09:11 AM
    Has anyone compared the storm sound quality to a 2nd gen ipod touch? By comparing, I mean using the same headphones, same song, etc. I'm thinking about buying an ipod touch but I won't waste my money and will utilize the storm's 8 gig built-in capacity if the sound quality on each device is comparable.
    02-21-09 02:16 PM
    i went from an itouch and a phone to just the storm expecting the media player to be atleast half decent, but every time i open it up and get halfway through a song..it shuts off..and 5 mins later i can use my phone again! WTF!?
    02-25-09 07:02 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD