08-20-12 04:53 PM
38 12
tools
    Bbm is addictive. When bbm went down and I had to resort to txt'ng, I HATED it. Just get started, get ur friends hooked. You'll love it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If only more people had Blackberrys...
    Last edited by jabbs1; 02-03-10 at 08:41 PM.
    02-03-10 08:30 PM
    I didn't really get BBM either. I deleted the other day until I got a message asking for someone that I didn't know asking to be added. So I reinstalled it. But I really don't know that many BB users. I know a lot of iphone users.

I guess I've never thought about BBM because with SMS on the BBs I've owned I can mass text through groups, attach files, etc etc. And the 9700 has threaded texts so that makes it much nicer.

I blow through a couple hundred texts a day, so easier texting is nice.

But after installing it...I realized I only know 2 people that also have BBs.
    02-03-10 10:08 PM
    I think this isn't correct, since BIS doesn't work over WiFi. Correct me if I'm wrong
    So long as your device supports UMA and you can get a proper UMA connection where you are then all BlackBerry services will work just fine. I can get BBM when I'm roaming, unless I am in China where they don't allow anything like UMA.
    02-04-10 06:09 AM
    BBM is quicker than texting
    02-04-10 06:10 AM
    I think this isn't correct, since BIS doesn't work over WiFi. Correct me if I'm wrong
    You are correct. You need some form of a data plan to work bbm/ email where as wifi will only work with browsing and apps ( maybe??)

Either way, international data use is much more reasonable then international texting. For instance, with my provider, data costs .6 cents per kb while roaming in the states, not sure what an sms runs but its definitely far more. I'm pretty sure that a bbm msg is only a couple kb's max

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-10 08:46 AM
    There isn't one anymore. Yeah 2 years ago it was cool to chat with everyone on BBM. But since better devices have come out, a lot of people are back on normal IM programs. Man I was psyched when me and about 12 of my friends were on BBM. Well they started getting Android and iPhone devices and I already had one. And now only a couple still have a blackberry. So BBM pretty much became irrelevant for me. BBM is only as relevant as the friends you have that use it. Fortunately/Unfortunately, most of my friends and left Blackberry behind like the rest of the world.
    02-04-10 10:32 AM
    There isn't one anymore. <snip> Fortunately/Unfortunately, most of my friends and left Blackberry behind like the rest of the world.
    Wow! Really? What are you even doing on this forum then?

Well speaking from the rest of the world that is left AFTER "the rest of the world left Blackberry behind", I think BBM is very useful.
    deezy87 likes this.
    02-04-10 12:51 PM
    I think BBM should be discontinued, just like Blackberry maps. It's just my opinion, but they are both pointless especially in year 2012 where other applications can do instant messaging and maps much better. I'd recommend removing it from your device since it runs on the background all the time.
    08-20-12 02:46 PM
    I use BBM for business and personal...roughly 500 work related contacts, it works for me, and it works well...BBM should be discontinued because...?
    08-20-12 03:22 PM
    Well, what is BBM exactly? An instant messaging tool?
    08-20-12 03:27 PM
    Discontinued? No.

I know this is a really old thread, but BBM is still a compelling part of the RIM ecosystem. In fact, I think leveraging it in BB10 is a smart move for RIM.
    08-20-12 04:09 PM
    If it wasn't running on the background all the time, i'd keep it. But the main reason for removing it, is because what is BBM exactly? A chat tool? How can you describe it?
    To me it looks like you're emaling someone else not chatting, which is why other apps are much better then BBM such as Gtalk, Live Messenger, Yahoo etc. And you can close them when you don't need them.
    BMM just doesn't feel like a chat tool to me. Again, just my opinion.
    08-20-12 04:14 PM
    If it wasn't running on the background all the time, i'd keep it. But the main reason for removing it, is because what is BBM exactly? A chat tool? How can you describe it?
    To me it looks like you're emaling someone else not chatting, which is why other apps are much better then BBM such as Gtalk, Live Messenger, Yahoo etc. And you can close them when you don't need them.
    BMM just doesn't feel like a chat tool to me. Again, just my opinion.
    I kinda understand where you are coming from. BBMs biggest strengths (always there/exclusivity) are also its biggest drawbacks.

Still, I think if RIM looks at it as the center of a productivity/entertainment hub, it can tie users into a social world that will make it more useful.

Like BBM-based BB Music. Or video-chat integrated with BBM. A lot of possibilities.
    08-20-12 04:53 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD