hi ,

i have data plan before but since the economy went down .. i cancel my data plan

but i heard that i can still use my bbm through WIFI ..

Can some one guide me how to use it ?

Because one of my friend can do that - she said just turn off the connection and turn on the wifi

but it didn't work with me

please please pleaseee help me ...

Thanks !
    01-08-10 12:46 AM
    With the recent upgrade to my OS to the OS 5.x.x.411, I'm able to run a host of RIM native applications ie. facebook, YM, MSN, BBM, even BIS Email via Wifi only. And Yes, I turn off the mobile network which means no chance of any data service getting into my unit.. Do check it out!
    01-08-10 05:10 AM
    Word of Caution: BBM uses either BIS or BES to communicate to other Blackberry's... it does not use the internet to communicate... be prepared for a bill if you try this.
    01-08-10 05:55 AM
    Word of Caution: BBM uses either BIS or BES to communicate to other Blackberry's... it does not use the internet to communicate... be prepared for a bill if you try this.
    If the 'Mobile Network' (hence, no data plan, no voice, no sms) is turned off, what cost are you anticipating, except the free Wifi of course?
    01-08-10 07:16 AM
    If the 'Mobile Network' (hence, no data plan, no voice, no sms) is turned off, what cost are you anticipating, except the free Wifi of course?
    If you don't have a data plan, it is the cost of going into that BIS or BES server and being sent to someones Blackberry.... this is not a form of communication that strictly uses the internet... it goes from one BIS server to another, then into a Blackberry. If there were no BIS or BES server, there is no BBM.
    01-08-10 07:24 AM
    right so if you do not subsrcibe to a data plan, bbm won't work. if you're registered on BIS/BES, you can use OTA data or wifi - your choice
    Last edited by the brother; 01-08-10 at 09:37 AM.
    01-08-10 08:03 AM
    My sister had to cancel her data plan for a while to save money. Her bbm works when she's on wifi. I don't know how, but it does. And she hasn't been charged extra for it. She's on Tmobile, by the way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 09:06 AM
    If you don't have a data plan, it is the cost of going into that BIS or BES server and being sent to someones Blackberry.... this is not a form of communication that strictly uses the internet... it goes from one BIS server to another, then into a Blackberry. If there were no BIS or BES server, there is no BBM.
    Hi,

I hope I didn't mess up the terms here..

Data Plan = BIS service, which allows me to surf, YM, MSN, or BBM, etc. etc. This service is only available in your Curve if you turn on the 'Mobile Network'. All these RIM native instant messenger used to work only if one has a Data Plan, it won't work on Wifi internet.

So, now i switched off my data plan(the Mobile network), so no sms is coming in/out, no calls can be made...
    So, after switching on the Wifi option in my curve, how does these messages(YM, MSN, BBM for example) going into BIS server? Are you saying these messages will route through internet (Wifi) and go to BIS server, then re-route to a Blackberry... I just don't get it. Please enlighten?
    01-08-10 09:26 AM
    It is possible to use BBM via Wi-Fi if one has a data plan. If one does not have a data plan, BBM will not work using Wi-Fi, since the service books will not be present.
    01-08-10 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD