Hi Guys,
    I am thinking about buying a used Bold 9700 (AT&T) because for the next two years I will be working abroad. I will be in 3 different locations for 8 months each (Norway, Brazil, and Malaysia). I know that I can switch SIM cards to a local carrier when I arrive in each country but how do I get 3G and BBM to work in different countries without a data plan?

Thank you.
    05-27-11 09:05 AM
    Hi Guys,
    I am thinking about buying a used Bold 9700 (AT&T) because for the next two years I will be working abroad. I will be in 3 different locations for 8 months each (Norway, Brazil, and Malaysia). I know that I can switch SIM cards to a local carrier when I arrive in each country but how do I get 3G and BBM to work in different countries without a data plan?

Thank you.
    You NEED a data plan to get 3G and BBM working in each country.

However...let's say you arrive in a second country and just want BBM but not 3G (yet)

You could leave the old SIM card from the first country in your phone, turn on Wi-Fi and chat via BBM over Wi-Fi, because whenever you change SIMs (different provider), your Service Books and provisioning get lost and you won't be able to connect to BIS/BBM etc until you re-provision it over the 3G network, remember that.
    05-27-11 09:11 AM
    I'm curious to know myself....
    05-28-11 01:22 PM
    Interesting... I forgot all about the service books. Could you backup the service books, insert the new international SIM w/o data service, restore the service books and keep using BBM/BIS via WiFi only?
    05-30-11 12:40 PM
    Why not get a T-Mobile one and with UMA you can even make phone calls, not only BBM? Also if you get the international e-mail add-on, you will be able to use e-mail and BMM without having any data roaming charges even if not on UMA. I've been doing this for the last year and it works great.
    05-30-11 01:42 PM
    But I'm going to buy a prepaid SIM and have a local number. Email/BBM isn't crucial but nice to check once in a while if I'm sitting in a coffee shop with WiFi.
    05-30-11 10:59 PM
    You need a BES or BIS data plan for BBM or for the push e-mail to work. I doubt you can get these with a prepaid SIM.
    05-31-11 02:23 AM
    is bbm working on 3g???
    i am on Vodafone IN and have 3G network, will bbm work on 3G without BIS/BES???
    09-25-13 02:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD