It's a great feature. I made a thread about it a few days back, but never really took off like yours.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    05-19-14 05:29 AM
    For some apps that push notifications to the Hub, this also allows you to disable those (Mega, Spotify for me).
    Hoped that would help with force closing those apps as well, but it did not.
    Thanks for sharing!

Edit: although I was unable to select those links in your OP from 10.3 CB app, had to manually enter the address.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    05-19-14 05:41 AM
    It's a great feature. I made a thread about it a few days back, but never really took off like yours.

Aha! I didn't see that in my quick scan.

I was actually surprised that no one seemed to be talking about this much here yet.

I was bummed when I heard about it last year because my Android tablet is stuck at Ice Cream Sandwich.

And no, I don't feel like messing around trying to root it, though in the future I may get a device with the intention of putting CM on it from the start.
    05-19-14 05:48 AM
    For some apps that push notifications to the Hub, this also allows you to disable those (Mega, Spotify for me).

So did you previously try using the Notifications checkbox in the app page of the Android settings app, and it didn't help?
    05-19-14 05:55 AM
    Now I'm still missing full PGP / GPG Support. Then I can finally read my encrypted eMails on my Z10 and throw that extra Android Device into the Bin. [Yes I know there is a App for it. But after having a bad experience in the past with stolen/misused Keys, I have a bad feeling by going that route again].
    I see there is not a chance for me to convince you
    05-19-14 06:29 AM
    what all new API's are there on 10.3.I didnt find enough API's to build a app i wanted to build
    05-19-14 06:47 AM
    I do not know, I could never be bothered to try it that way. I just did not expect that type of thing to be part of the "App Permissions".
    So did you previously try using the Notifications checkbox in the app page of the Android settings app, and it didn't help?
    BlackBerry 10 signed.
    05-19-14 07:22 AM
    I see there is not a chance for me to convince you
    Like I wrote in my answer to your PM a few weeks ago: I have your App "Bookmarked" in BBW and under constant watch. Still waiting for full HUB Integration. But don't let us derail the Thread.

Via CB10 App / [email protected]+296 Hybrid
    05-19-14 09:18 AM
    App Ops is a nice first step towards ensuring our privacy is not exposed by apps, but BlackBerry should go for CyanogenMOD's Privacy Guard and implement the same sort of filters on the native side. Then there will still be the issue of the leaky browser...
    Gerii likes this.
    05-19-14 02:34 PM
    App Ops is a nice first step towards ensuring our privacy is not exposed by apps, but BlackBerry should go for CyanogenMOD's Privacy Guard and implement the same sort of filters on the native side.

If those things require user root status, then I'm pretty sure they will be a non-starter for BlackBerry.

One of the most important aspects of App Ops, IMHO, is that it doesn't require user root access to work.
    05-19-14 05:21 PM
    If those things require user root status, then I'm pretty sure they will be a non-starter for BlackBerry.

One of the most important aspects of App Ops, IMHO, is that it doesn't require user root access to work.
    App Ops is not a user app , BlackBerry can simply replace it with PG2.0 or with a much improved Permissions app on the native side.

"Snap" is the best stop-gap solution for Android apps while we wait for BlackBerry to get its act together...
    05-19-14 06:20 PM
    This proves, yet again, why CrackBerry is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable mobile websites around.
    05-19-14 07:16 PM
    It's a standard (but hidden) part of Android 4.3. Google removed it in 4.4.2.
    Is it a part of the runtime or the OS though? I thought BB10 was strictly incorporating the runtime, but if I'm wrong which I likely am and they have been grabbing other bits and pieces of the Android OS all along, it's pretty cool (and kinda funny, although unsurprising in the larger sense) that the latest BB10 build(s) has embraced an Android feature that the biggest propagator of Android build(s) shed because they...care about the user experience.

In any case, I'm prepared to hang onto this version for dear life if this feature gets removed in future runtimes without some sort of replacement.
    Oh hell yeah. I'm not updating my Android devices beyond 4.3 because of the removal of App Ops (and the microSD support removal stunt that Google pulled.)
    05-19-14 07:52 PM
    App Ops is not a user app , BlackBerry can simply replace it with PG2.0 or with a much improved Permissions app on the native side.

If a device can utilize that feature without being rooted and without giving the user root permissions, I have a hard time understanding what you mean about "not a user app".

Regarding replacing with Privacy Guard - I was under the impression that that still had to run with root permissions.
    05-19-14 08:18 PM
    Is it a part of the runtime or the OS though? I thought BB10 was strictly incorporating the runtime, but if I'm wrong which I likely am and they have been grabbing other bits and pieces of the Android OS all along, it's pretty cool (and kinda funny, although unsurprising in the larger sense) that the latest BB10 build(s) has embraced an Android feature that the biggest propagator of Android build(s) shed because they...care about the user experience.

I'm not personally 100% sure where the runtime (Dalvik I assume you mean) and the OS (ie Google's fork of Linux) intersect in terms of the app permissions, but I'd assume there's a lot of overlap. What is in BB10 also includes various standard utilities and apps, are those considered "Integral" to Dalvik? Like the web browser? Gallery? Calculator?

Oh hell yeah. I'm not updating my Android devices beyond 4.3 because of the removal of App Ops (and the microSD support removal stunt that Google pulled.)

Which stunt was that?
    05-19-14 08:26 PM
    If a device can utilize that feature without being rooted and without giving the user root permissions, I have a hard time understanding what you mean about "not a user app".
    Not speaking for ofutur, but I'm with him about App Ops not being an app per se. I think of it more as an OS menu option (albeit hidden,) kind of like Application Management is in BBOS. Plus, if it were an app, I'm sure someone would have extracted an APK for it, but AFAIK that hasn't been done.

Which stunt was that?
    The move to limit the ability of apps to write to external SD--officially in the name of security, but widely seen as a move to popularize their cloud service offerings. Here is a recent thread about it.
    05-19-14 09:43 PM
    Not speaking for ofutur, but I'm with him about App Ops not being an app per se. I think of it more as an OS menu option (albeit hidden,) kind of like Application Management is in BBOS. Plus, if it were an app, I'm sure someone would have extracted an APK for it, but AFAIK that hasn't been done.

Sounds like a semantic argument to me.

My point was that it does not A) require rooting the device or runtime, compromising security, nor B) giving the user root or superuser privileges, also good for security/integrity reasons. Whereas the vast majority of the Android workarounds to the "all or nothing" Android permissions model that I have seen, require some sort of rooting or root access to work.

Also, I don't know how much re-designing of the runtime BlackBerry can get away with before they end up officially on Google's watch list. Can they really add and subtract anything they want as long as it's based on AOSP? Unlike the "rogue" rooting organizations, I believe BlackBerry is in a much stickier strategic position because if Google starts to get annoyed with their Dalvik tweaking (ie like when Microsoft built a YouTube app for WP and removed Google advertising hooks from it, which raised the ire of Google), they could make things very difficult for the company in the marketplace.

Chen already poked the bear a few days ago by A) running advertising in Indonesia claiming Android app compatibility for the Z3, and B) claiming that BB10 can "Run 98% of the Android apps". Will be very interesting to see how Google responds to that.

The move to limit the ability of apps to write to external SD--officially in the name of security, but widely seen as a move to popularize their cloud service offerings. Here is a recent thread about it.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    Last edited by Omnitech; 05-19-14 at 10:37 PM.
    05-19-14 09:51 PM
    App Ops is a system app, a privileged app. You need root to remove/modify it, but BlackBerry has packaged it for you and protected it from modifications. You don't need to be root to change settings on a phone, you need to be if you want to alter the settings app.

Another alternative is XPrivacy, but it might be overwhelming for beginners. I especially like their "restrict on demand" feature.
    https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacy#xprivacy

Without something like this, it doesn't matter if you have "the most secure OS", you'll leak data to Google, BlackBerry and all the 3rd parties working with them.
    05-20-14 05:35 AM
    And BlackBerry still has work to do if they want to match the permission granularity achieved on Android

App permissions - BlackBerry Native

vs

Manifest.permission | Android Developers
    05-20-14 05:40 AM
    Pics or it didn't happen...
    Please Omnitech, can you test https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...proc.auto.ring on 10.3.X.X, at least to see which permissions it needs. It should need permission to see the incoming caller's number beside ability to see phone book. On 10.2.X.X there was no option to see phone book due API restriction.
    I would check it by myself but I'm currently using my STL100 as daily driver and 10.3..X.X is no option for me..
    Thanks
    05-20-14 08:01 AM
    I am curious, do all permissions show up in the App OPs menu? Because I am sure Amazon asked for a lot, but I can only 'see' and change two settings for it now.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    05-20-14 08:48 AM
    A couple questions, is the call blocking bit native to 10.3? I couldnt find it in the call settings screens.

Does this App Ops allow root access for specific apps? I have an a sonicwall at my office but cant connect to it for VPN access via SonicWall Mobile conenct APK. It tells me I dont have sufficient permissions, will this program App Ops allow me to grant such permissions?
    05-20-14 09:53 AM
    A couple questions, is the call blocking bit native to 10.3? I couldnt find it in the call settings screens.
    To answer my first question, I found Call Block on BB Empire: [BETA] Call Block by 10Soft | Blocking specific incoming calls for BlackBerry 10.3 - BlackBerry Empire
    05-20-14 10:19 AM
    After installing AppOps I was unable to launch Clash of Clans and a couple other apps. After uninstall they work again.
    05-20-14 11:08 AM
    After installing AppOps I was unable to launch Clash of Clans and a couple other apps. After uninstall they work again.
    You mean they crash even without disabling their permissions? Because that wouldn't make any sense.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    05-20-14 12:03 PM
96 1234