Why Developers don't port to BB10 if it's that easy ?! i mean we have seen that candy crush works on BB10.2 (i don't know if it work in 10.1)
    and many more applications that we do know that works, and yet the original developers of the applications doesn't want to work with BB and
    put it officially in the app world :-(

so what are we missing here ?
    - it's easy to convert
    - they have support as a dev from BB
    - it works

and still nothing .. how come ?
    10-13-13 08:59 AM
    I'd love to see some big, specific apps on my Z10, and it is disheartening.
    10-13-13 09:07 AM
    Building an app ain't like dusting crops...

1. Platform is seen by some devs as unstable.
    2. Some devs are small and cannot build the app for all platforms, they have to choose one or two (usually iOS and Android)
    3. Some do not want to support another platform.
    4. Market penetration is seen as weaker in App World than other platforms.
    5. Converting is not a panacea. Yes, it may work, will it work perfectly? You aren't a dev, so you really don't know how easy or difficult the process is. Porting/sideloading is a poor substitute for native.
    10-13-13 09:10 AM
    Building an app ain't like dusting crops...

1. Platform is seen by some devs as unstable.
    2. Some devs are small and cannot build the app for all platforms, they have to choose one or two (usually iOS and Android)
    3. Some do not want to support another platform.
    4. Market penetration is seen as weaker in App World than other platforms.
    5. Converting is not a panacea. Yes, it may work, will it work perfectly? You aren't a dev, so you really don't know how easy or difficult the process is. Porting/sideloading is a poor substitute for native.
    Agreed. But if they're ported at least they will be available in BW and would have, I hope, better support than sideloaded. Personally I don't like the idea of sideloading.
    vrud and bob_tn like this.
    10-13-13 09:12 AM
    It's kind of like the difference between knowing how to cook a great steak and opening a restaurant When you are side loading something, its nice if it works and if it crashes once in a while then it's kind of to be expected. It's different from releasing a supported version where you are guaranteeing that it works and will continue to work no matter what features are added.
    10-13-13 09:16 AM
    why do I suddenly want to go to Outback????
    kbz1960, eddy_berry and eldricho like this.
    10-13-13 09:17 AM
    Lol @ suddenly wanting to go to outback
    10-13-13 09:24 AM
    Lots of reason for developers to not consider BlackBerry. I understand for the smaller developer companies it can be really tough spreading limited resources so thin, but I don't know why we accept these excuses from the larger ones. Many times I find it as an excuse to not develop for the other mobile choices because of small market share when it's because those apps aren't there that the market share remains so small. To me it's a competition killer and perhaps they already know that. It would not be in the consumers best interest to have to choose between two platforms. Either way as a BB10 user I'm very grateful to the developers that do support us many of which started by easily porting their apps over from Android.
    10-13-13 09:44 AM
    After 10.2 goes prime time, there will be a greater demand for Android apps. Remember 10.1 runs an older version of jellybean.

-aBBuser on .1791 STL3
    10-13-13 01:13 PM
    Some apps are easy to port. Some apps are less easy to port. Some apps are difficult to port.

Not all apps are built the same, and a developer's standard for "working" is generally higher than some third party who doesn't care if the app works 100% correctly, and doesn't have to support the app if/when it doesn't.
    10-13-13 01:28 PM
    Need to figure out the total cost to develop and compare with the expected revenue.
    10-13-13 01:58 PM
    I am pretty sure nobody knows about BlackBerry and how easy porting is...
    They should contact all android developers via mail. I am publishing apps on Android and get these mails all the time.
    Example opera: they offered me to add my app to opera store. All I had to do is to reply with yes. And they did it all by themselves. I got my login details a few hours later and my app was on opera store...
    Just why can't BlackBerry be so clever?

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 02:39 PM
    Some apps are easy to port. Some apps are less easy to port. Some apps are difficult to port.

Not all apps are built the same, and a developer's standard for "working" is generally higher than some third party who doesn't care if the app works 100% correctly, and doesn't have to support the app if/when it doesn't.
    I think it is safe to assume (without making an a* of anyone) that he is referring to the apps that seemingly work fine by putting it through an apk to bar converter.

Naturally not all apps work out the gate, but what about the ones that do? Answer is, the developer simply doesn't want to or want to have to support another platform when to them the audience is not worth it.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 01:04 PM