Just updated the app via SNAP but the app gets frozen with a black screen on start up. Never happened before. Anyone got similar experience?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 08:06 PM
    Do let me know if this works. I've been using the one from BlackBerry World & it usually takes at least 3- 20 minutes to open up & I usually don't get messages unless my WeChat is open.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 08:44 PM
    If you haven't already then try a hard reboot of your device (simultaneously press the volume up and down tabs on your phone) until it powers off. Your runtime will reinitialize. Give it time to settle in after restart. First time you run an android app may start slow and you'll get the green bar crawling across the screen but subsequent openings of the app should be quicker and smooth things out for you. Worth a shot.
    03-17-16 09:03 PM
    If you haven't already then try a hard reboot of your device (simultaneously press the volume up and down tabs on your phone) until it powers off. Your runtime will reinitialize. Give it time to settle in after restart. First time you run an android app may start slow and you'll get the green bar crawling across the screen but subsequent openings of the app should be quicker and smooth things out for you. Worth a shot.
    Thx but no joy I am afraid. I now installed the BB10 version from BBW to resume service despite reduced functionality.

I suspect the problem lies at the WeChat update and/or WeChat's server side. I tried to delete the Android version of WeChat and reinstalled it from SNAP. Opened the reinstalled app and was prompted to sign in which I did and went through verification process. Then it was frozen. When I deleted again the Android version and reinstalled the BB10 version, which went uneventfully, WeChat sent me notices that "another device" tried to access my account and I should consider resetting password. That was only myself. Obviously WeChat see BB10 and Android versions of its app (even on same phone) as separate devices. It also means the updated Android WeChat was trying to access WeChat server but was turned down and hence the freezing I think.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 12:21 AM
    Just pop on the older version. I don't know which one you were using but here are the previous apk versions of the app: http://www.apkmirror.com/?s=wechat&p...pe=app_release

It looks to me that Version: 6.2.2.54 is the last that should run on BB10. The rest have API > 18 so they're a no go as far as I know.
    Last edited by semime; 03-18-16 at 03:31 AM.
    03-18-16 02:45 AM
    Just pop on the older version. I don't know which one you were using but here are the previous apk versions of the app: You searched for wechat - APKMirror

It looks to me that Version: 6.2.2.54 is the last that should run on BB10. The rest have API > 18 so they're a no go as far as I know.
    so 6.2.2.54 is the best wechat apk for BB10??
    03-21-16 04:40 AM
    so 6.2.2.54 is the best wechat apk for BB10??
    Well someone who actually uses the app regularly will have to chime in and address that. I'm only saying that is the last version specifically targeted to the android version Jelly Bean which the Blackberry version is modified from. So in theory I'd expect it to hold the most function. All later versions are targeted toward Lollipop and up... it may fulfill the minimum requirements but if it ran at all I would expect reduced functionality.

Won't hurt to try them and see.
    03-21-16 01:59 PM
    Thx for all the input & guidance. I ended up not having to use the apl links provided. I founded out SNAP archived all apk I ever installed on the phone. All I had to do was to find the last working version and to reinstall it. Worked without a hitch. Thx again.

Posted via CB10
    semime likes this.
    03-23-16 08:52 AM
    Thx for all the input & guidance. I ended up not having to use the apl links provided. I founded out SNAP archived all apk I ever installed on the phone. All I had to do was to find the last working version and to reinstall it. Worked without a hitch. Thx again.

Posted via CB10
    Glad to hear that it's worked out for you. Just out of curiosity, what version is it?
    03-23-16 09:32 AM
    Glad to hear that it's worked out for you. Just out of curiosity, what version is it?
    Thx. Inside the app it says v.6.3.11. The apk file name ends with "mm-721.apk" though.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 07:33 AM
    Thx. Inside the app it says v.6.3.11. The apk file name ends with "mm-721.apk" though.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for the update - and a later fully functioning version than predicted.
    03-24-16 09:11 AM
    Where does SNAP archive the previous versions? Under the "installed" section or somewhere else?

Posted via CB10
    04-13-16 04:51 AM
    Where does SNAP archive the previous versions? Under the "installed" section or somewhere else?

Posted via CB10
    Archive location is user customizable. Check settings in SNAP.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 09:57 AM
    Ok I think I found the default folder..i assume I need to sideload it separately...or does snap have the ability to install the old version without sideloading?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jdcbomb; 04-16-16 at 09:28 PM.
    04-16-16 06:42 PM
    No need to side load if you have the .apk file just tap on it in BlackBerry 10 it will do the rest.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-16 08:37 AM