Just got a Chromecast streaming dongle for my TV. The API has only just been released to developers. It will initiate video streams from Android or iOS based phones. Then hand over the stream to Chromecast, disconnecting the phone from the loop. Currently Netflix and Youtube apps support Chromecast. Good news is you can get it to operate from Z10 with the Android Youtube app. Bad news is no BB10 support for Google Play services so sideloading the latest Youtube app will not work. You need to sideload Version 4.5.17 which works just fine. Quality on TV is 720p HD. The chromecast setuo app will not work on Z10 so you have to set up Chromecast wifi password using a Windows PC. You can chromecast PC video using a Google Chrome extension but streams seem to be relayed via PC and possibly transcoded so video stutters. Looking forward to developer mods to more Z10 native apps to cater for Chromecast which is selling fast in UK. Chromecast running a direct stream is brilliant.

Posted via CB10
    gemoelle likes this.
    03-22-14 03:55 AM
    Quick Update. BBC iPlayer for Android now has Chromecast support and can be sideloaded onto Z10 or Q10 together with BBC media player. Pressing the Chromecast icon in the top bar will hand off the video stream to Chromecast. The phone can then be put to sleep if you want to.

Posted via CB10
    patmur2010 likes this.
    03-22-14 05:05 AM
    Update 2
    Until Blackberry update their Android Runtime with latest incarnation of Google Play services, it is unlikely that the rush of developer apps using the newly released Chromecast API will work

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 05:45 AM
    I don't get how you managed to make Youtube app work from Z10 to initiate streaming on Chromecast.

1.Did you specifically get that version apk and install it on Z10?
    2. Don't you have to install Chromecast on Z10 as well?

BlackBerry can't get Google services running on BB10 any time soon. I am praying for that as well.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 11:40 PM
    I moved the thread to BB10 Android App Sideloading and I edited the title a little. Please use this thread to help each other get as much functionality as possible out of Chromecast on BB10

Otherwise GREAT thread!
    03-22-14 11:49 PM
    The Youtube App I have sideloaded doesn't seem to work with Chromecast (5332), which is the latest version before Google Services was required. The Cast icon never shows up on any videos. I'm also running the latest OS leak (10.2.1.2234). Is there a certain combination of OS/Youtube version that would work, or is it a Wifi setting issue? I also have an iPad and a laptop connected to the Chromecast, but wouldn't mind the convenience of playing a youtube video straight from my Z30.
    03-23-14 12:18 AM
    Chrome cast works like a charm on my z30. I believe I just got the YouTube app from apktrain and Googled "chromecast apk" for the other piece.

Funny thing when I cast to my TV, my device name comes up on screen as "RIM Z30".

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 12:36 AM
    Does the Chromecast .apk actually do anything? I can't get it to find any devices.
    03-23-14 01:39 AM
    Following this tread. Would love to see a bb10 app for Chromecast

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    03-23-14 09:26 AM
    No need to install Chromecast APP on Z10. It will not detect the raw Chromecast dongle. It is only necessary to install the app on your PC so it can be used to give the Chromecast dongle your home wifi password. Once the Chromecast dongle is on your network, the Z10 Youtube version indicated will display the Chromecast icon and talk to the Chromecast dongle to initiate video streams and hand them off to the dongle. Once Chromecast has a valid stream, the Z10 can be used for fast forwarding control or, if not needed for that, the phone can be put to sleep or switched off completely. I have been watching Youtube movies on a 50 inch TV via Chromecast and initiated from a Blackberry Z10 with no problems.
    04-13-14 09:32 AM
    Is the 'play on' feature working with the chrome cast? I'm looking for a cheap way to use my Z10 in my TV without hdmi cable

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 07:15 PM

Funny thing when I cast to my TV, my device name comes up on screen as "RIM Z30".

Posted via CB10
    FCC hardware IDs are probably the last thing to change. Or, shows you how long they have had the Z30 design.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 07:33 PM
    I recently purchased Chromecast for my Sony TV but I'm a little lost because my BlackBerry Z10 can't seem to find Chromecast so that I may stream or cast the movie I'm watching from my phone to the TV.. Do I need to download any app to be able to play what I'm watching on my phone to my Chromecast..

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 08:53 PM
    I recently purchased Chromecast for my Sony TV but I'm a little lost because my BlackBerry Z10 can't seem to find Chromecast so that I may stream or cast the movie I'm watching from my phone to the TV.. Do I need to download any app to be able to play what I'm watching on my phone to my Chromecast..

Posted via CB10
    I made the mistake of getting a Chromecast. I wanted it for streaming network websites. NBC ABC AMC etc. But the Chromecast app won't work on Z30

Streaming from a laptop causes stuttering and lagging.

Someone advised me to check into Miracast. So I'm checking into that now

I don't have an ipad or Android phone to test the Chromecast with. I'll probably give it to a friend to play with but it's a no go for me.

Wish you better luck though.

via CB10 using a Z10 / STL100-3 / RFK121LW / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    04-13-14 09:44 PM
    I have successfully sideloaded Android Youtube version 5.2.27 via the built in BB10 APK converter onto two Z10 phones running OS 10.2.1.2102.
    It works perfectly casting movies to a Cromecast dongle. I believe the Youtube version is the latest available via Snap. So far I have not managed to get any other Android app which is supposed to offer Chromecast support, working on the Z10 . Most apps want Google play services to be present.
    There are no native apps offering Chromecast support yet. Hope somebody proves me wrong. Some earlier versions of Youtube may work but I found that an earlier version would run on one phone but not the other. The version indicated seems quite consistent. Hope this helps.
    5/29/04 Just upgraded the BB10 OS to 10.2.1.3175 and it totally broke Youtube app's Chromecast capability. If you have Chromecast capability already, beware this OS upgrade.
    Last edited by jaycee43; 05-29-14 at 04:40 AM. Reason: New data
    lesarmitage likes this.
    05-21-14 05:00 AM
    I made the mistake of getting a Chromecast. I wanted it for streaming network websites. NBC ABC AMC etc. But the Chromecast app won't work on Z30

Streaming from a laptop causes stuttering and lagging.

Someone advised me to check into Miracast. So I'm checking into that now

I don't have an ipad or Android phone to test the Chromecast with. I'll probably give it to a friend to play with but it's a no go for me.

Wish you better luck though.

via CB10 using a Z10 / STL100-3 / RFK121LW / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA

Stuttering and lag are caused by your connection speed but not for your laptop.
    I have a mini laptop sony, she's a crap, she transfers video as well that my macbook pro.
    My connection speed is 45MB down and 25up.
    01-01-15 08:02 AM
    since there are so many set-up-box in the market ,which makes me confused about which to choose , after looking online for some reviews, I decide the go for the Roku box, which seems nice. Oh , the Apple TV now only need $69, but I am not very keen to iOS .
    03-13-15 03:46 AM
    This may help.

Check out Cast for BlackBerry in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/57227887

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 04:00 AM
    Can anyone advise how safe is http://m.apktrain.com/? Has anyone used this website?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2558
    03-16-15 02:36 PM
    Cast has many limiting features as I read on developer specs, such as:

1) APP REQUIRES A CHROMECAST ALREADY CONFIGURED AND CONNECTED TO YOUR NETWORK - MY APP CANNOT SETUP A BRAND NEW CHROMECAST

2) THIS APP ONLY WORKS WITH YOUTUBE
    04-15-15 09:06 AM
    CAST was good for a time but it's been mostly rendered useless as the Youtube on Cobalt's landing page (6.0.13) allows direct casting from the app. It's the only app that works with Chromecast, Netflix has removed its functionality with an update. I have an ipad and a laptop that I use Chromecast with - it's almost completely pointless if all you have is a BB.
    Numero12 likes this.
    04-15-15 12:26 PM
    I noticed today that I am able to cast to a Chromecast using Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Plex. I had used Lucky Patcher on all three of the apps. I am using a Z30 with software release 10.3.1.1784. Prior to patching Plex would not connect to the Chromecast.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 06:17 PM
    I noticed today that I am able to cast to a Chromecast using Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Plex. I had used Lucky Patcher on all three of the apps. I am using a Z30 with software release 10.3.1.1784. Prior to patching Plex would not connect to the Chromecast.

Posted via CB10
    What did exactly you remove from Netflix with Lucky Patch?

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 09:19 PM
    I had followed the instructions to uncheck Auto mode and check 'Remove Dependencies'. After that I went through an uninstalled and install of the modified APK.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 03:37 AM
    I had followed the instructions to uncheck Auto mode and check 'Remove Dependencies'. After that I went through an uninstalled and install of the modified APK.
    Can You send de Netflix .apk that You used?

Posted with BlackBerry Z30 - OS 10.3.1.2708
    04-22-15 05:53 AM