I have multiple microUSB cords that I use to charge my Z10. However, only the official one that came with my phone charges fast. The others all charge, but very slowly. Even though I'm using the same BlackBerry adapter plug, I get different rates if charging. Why is this? I bought a BlackBerry branded microUSB cord on eBay and it has the same problem as other generic ones. Could it be that only cords bought from BlackBerry itself work with their devices? I don't understand because all microUSB cords follow the same specifications.

usb cord oddities-img_20131220_172542.jpg

Authentic or a cheap knock off?

Posted from my BlackBerry Z10
    12-20-13 05:26 PM
    USB cables are not the same, some are data only and not for charging. Hard to say if that is the issue here
    12-20-13 05:36 PM
    Maybe a cheap knock off or it could also be one of the USBs for data transfer only and not charging
    I use different USBs that I have lying around the house sometimes, BlackBerry branded or not and they all seem to work fine either charging on a pc or with the charger. When it comes to chargers tho, I only use the one that came with it

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 05:36 PM
    Maybe a cheap knock off or it could also be one of the USBs for data transfer only and not charging
    I use different USBs that I have lying around the house sometimes, BlackBerry branded or not and they all seem to work fine either charging on a pc or with the charger. When it comes to chargers tho, I only use the one that came with it

Posted via CB10
    So you don't notice that when you use the other cables, they charge slower? I have 2 Z10s and I notice it for both of them.

12-20-13 05:42 PM
    USB cables are not the same, some are data only and not for charging. Hard to say if that is the issue here
    But the truth is, all USB cables are built to the same specifications. At least they are supposed to be. There's no such thing as a charging or data transfer specific USB cable.
    Apple on the other hand has different types of cables.

12-20-13 05:44 PM
    But the truth is, all USB cables are built to the same specifications. At least they are supposed to be.

I have a Motorola cable that CANNOT be plugged in to a computer.

It states this on the cable itself.
    usb cord oddities-img_20131220_191833.jpg

Z10
    12-20-13 06:18 PM
    So you don't notice that when you use the other cables, they charge slower? I have 2 Z10s and I notice it for both of them.

Some do charge a bit slower,but not all of 'em. Sometimes I just don't have time and grab the one the closest to me and leave

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 06:19 PM
    Not all USB cords are created equal. 10 for a dollar will cause you heartache in short course. I learned to spring for OEM.

IME, BB10 devices are not unique in this regard.
    12-20-13 06:49 PM
    But the truth is, all USB cables are built to the same specifications. At least they are supposed to be. There's no such thing as a charging or data transfer specific USB cable.

Wrong.

USB 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 cables contain 4 conductors: 2 data conductors, and 2 power conductors. Also sometimes a shield ground and/or a 5th pin to signal whether the connector is an "A" connector which usually connects to the "host" and sometimes provides power, and a "B" connector which typically connects to a device. (which may consume power) (USB 3.0 cables are more complex)

Some cables designed for charging only connect just the 2 power conductors to the plugs. I do not believe you can build a USB compliant cable that only terminates the data conductors.

However, because many modern devices that use USB chargers also use the data conductors to control the charging process, it's actually pretty rare to see "charging only" cables any more. Modern USB charging standards expect the data conductors to be connected in particular ways to allow the charged device to determine to a limited extent what kind of charger it is connected to.

There are various ways that the cables can be constructed, and you will likely encounter various cables that are not actually properly compliant with the USB standard.

Within cables that are "compliant", there will be other differences, such as the gauge of the connecting wires and conductors.

If you use an app like Battery Guru for BB10, you can easily see for yourself how different USB cables can affect the power delivered to the device for charging. The difference can be substantial. For example, many of the convenient "retractable" USB cables have very thin conductors, so they oftentimes will not take full advantage of the power that your charger is capable of delivering.
    12-20-13 08:27 PM