[B]

Short story: I found the privacy policy on the internet and filled in the blanks...

Long story: The app has analytics (flurry SDK) and those clauses in the privacy policy are basically for the analytics. I wanted the analytics so I could track which versions of Snap are out there in the wild. The analytics data is completely anonymized and IP address are collected (NOT STORED or visible to me!) and are only used to calculate which Country you are in (nothing more granular than country).

This is a free app and free service that I've put a ton of hard work into and analytics are a normal part of app and development in order to improve service. Feel free to uninstall if you disagree, although I'd hate to see you go, hopefully this explanation eases your mind.

It's ironic that you stated that you'd like to connect only to Google Play, since they are the ones that actually do sell your collected data
    Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't / won't be uninstalling.. the blackberry agreement isn't exactly the greatest thing I've ever read either... even on 10.0 the 'find friends' option for Facebook that uploads your contacts to fb used to warn you. It doesn't warn anymore + and it's enabled by default...
    anyway I was just curious as to what all was being collected and why. I assumed analytics (update notifications & tracking installed versions, setting the country info for both Google play and showing you how many people from what country are using your app, like youtube), but I wanted to be sure.

Obviously if I use thing like YouTube I have no issues using your app. But I had to ask, only because until recently I assumed that you were not collecting anything at all.. and that the only connection being made was between me and Google play. That's why I made the comment about permissions on bbos - I wouldn't have had to read your privacy policy, I'd know the app was trying to connect to 'data.flurry.com' or w/e in addition to Google and I'd know it (flurry) was norm.

My question to you wasn't meant to cause controversy. Thanks again for clearing that up.

But just throwing this out there.. would think about adding an option to opt out (an option that doesn't involve uninstalling the app lol).
    Either way, all the best. My only issue with the app seems to be that it starts lagging then crashes.

And can you add an option to share apps?(click hold >share sends the Google play link + share button on app page. So we can share links with remember or other snap users via bbm etc) also, is it possible to have snap become the default invocation for play links automatically, or does the user have to do it manually? (screen shot attached)
    Snap - Download Apps from Google Play Directly to your BlackBerry 10.2.1+-img_20131150.png
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 12-18-13 at 04:12 AM.
    12-18-13 03:45 AM
    You know what's funny?

There are about 150,000 apps in BlackBerry World right now.

Of those, I'd throw a wild guess and speculate that at least 10,000 of them are capable of tracking/storing things like IP address if the developer decided to.

Now, anyone care to speculate how many of those (wild guess) 10,000 apps actually publish any privacy policy at all?

So here we have a guy who makes the effort to actually publish such a policy (something which you may be interested to know I asked about 3 days after this thread was created, on 11/18), and he gets raked over the coals for it?

From all indications I have seen - and the publishing of this privacy policy is just the latest - James Paul Muir is an upstanding, honest, skilled, responsive and considerate developer. These are the kind of developers I personally bend over backwards to purchase apps from because they do credit to the platform and the ecosystem.

Oh and of course you realize that ANY website/webserver you access ANYWHERE can track your IP, right? Including all the spammers that embed invisible images in email for precisely that purpose, not to mention the dozens of offsite trackers that websites like Crackberry (and most popular websites) use.

Luckily in this case James Paul Muir seems completely above-board and reputable, and for a person like myself who is usually a skeptic about security and privacy matters, he has satisified my personal concerns.
    **** off with the pissing contest
    I'm not stupid. Well obv if you connect to the Internet your ip address is sent wherever you connected to. Whether that be CrackBerry or whatever. Most email clients don't load external content by default for precisely that reason. When it comes to computers and Web trackers /beacons cookies etc, lol. Mobile browsers don't have quite the same options but I run Firefox on my phone using the proper extentions to get around tracking when I don't want to be tracked.
    Pretty sure s4bb has a privacy policy, so thats what 100k+ apps? All of which connect analytics. So much for it being a fraction of 10k.

And I'm not no developer hater. Raked over the coals? I asked a question which was answered. Don't know why you wanted to put your 2c on a credit card.
    He is using BlackBerry's officially recommended analytics tool. It didn't say that in the policy, else I would have not had any questions at all.. -_-
    12-18-13 04:04 AM
    You need to updated leaked OS for this right?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 07:40 AM
    You need to updated leaked OS for this right?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, (pssst it says this in thread title) lol

Posted via my AzzazzinBerry (STL100-3/10.2.1.1055)
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-18-13 07:54 AM
    How can I download snap in my BlackBerry z10??

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 07:56 AM
    How can I download snap in my BlackBerry z10??

Posted via CB10
    Go to OP, download BAR, sideload via your preferred method.

Posted via my AzzazzinBerry (STL100-3/10.2.1.1055)
    12-18-13 08:08 AM
    Never ever donated anything for software! But it's official: You are the first
    12-18-13 11:08 AM
    Why when I hit the download Snap link, does it take me to the comments?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 11:27 AM
    Hi,
    Im having a problem with this version of Snap for some reason. It is continually loading. Nothing shows up under browse or My Apps and searching is the same thing. Am I doing something wrong? Im signed into Snap and certainly using .1055. All help is much appreciated.
    12-18-13 11:43 AM
    I don't understand why everyone these days thinks that everything is a conspiracy. You have a guy here that is building a great app and you suspect him if collecting IP addresses... ?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I'm SMH as well.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 12:13 PM
    Any idea as to if we will be able to download paid apps on our accounts? I had a tablet and bought several apps, but since sold that tablet. I can't get the APKs out since they are paid and I no longer have the device key to use the Chrome extension. Not asking for pirating, but using $50 worth of apps I paid for.
    12-18-13 12:32 PM
    Awesome!! BlackBerry should really make this available in BlackBerry World.
    12-18-13 12:33 PM
    Any idea as to if we will be able to download paid apps on our accounts? I had a tablet and bought several apps, but since sold that tablet. I can't get the APKs out since they are paid and I no longer have the device key to use the Chrome extension. Not asking for pirating, but using $50 worth of apps I paid for.
    Your use case should be possible in 2.0 version of Snap (downloading previously purchased apps), as long as the hardware configuration is compatible (i.e. a tablet only app won't show up as available on your BlackBerry/Snap).
    bgalakazam likes this.
    12-18-13 12:50 PM
    do not work this version.

show the app information, but when you push download button, sayd: downloaded, and dont download anything
    12-18-13 01:39 PM
    Hi,
    Im having a problem with this version of Snap for some reason. It is continually loading. Nothing shows up under browse or My Apps and searching is the same thing. Am I doing something wrong? Im signed into Snap and certainly using .1055. All help is much appreciated.
    Deleted and reinstalled. Everything is working wonderfully. Great app

Single finger flickin fun from the best Damn virtual keyboard in existence...the BlackBerry Z30 Everybody!
    12-18-13 02:20 PM
    Snap - Download Apps from Google Play Directly to your BlackBerry 10.2.1+-img_00000104.pngno wotk!!! I reainstalled...

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 03:00 PM
    Yeah, I'm SMH as well.

From my own perspective, I don't think it's at all outrageous to be skeptical, since after all people are providing external account credentials to this app and so on. This is why I brought up my own concerns about it here a month ago.

But the key difference is that James has addressed those concerns quite thoroughly as far as I'm concerned. (Some of which in a private exchange I had with him.)

And I can't say that about various other developers.
    12-18-13 03:05 PM
    Can you download stuff directly to your phone?!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 05:05 PM
    Can you download stuff directly to your phone?!

Posted via CB10
    If you have installed the leaked OS 10.2.1.1055 then yes, you can sideload Snap and it will enable downloading and installing apps direct from the Google Play Store on to a BlackBerry 10 device.
    12-18-13 05:17 PM
    what about bb playbook
    12-18-13 05:26 PM
    what about bb playbook
    Does PlayBook run a version of the 10.2.1.*** operating system????????

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 05:36 PM
    Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 05:48 PM
    Had issues with the search feature not working (just kept searching forever) on 9.6.0 - I did not delete the old version prior to loading this.
    So I deleted Snap completely and reloaded the Bar file. Seems to work great now.

FYI
    12-18-13 07:08 PM
    what about bb playbook

No.
    12-18-13 09:47 PM
    Until now, I can't download through this app.
    12-19-13 12:35 AM
3,312 ... 4950515253 ...