Man, the ability to check for updates just pushed this app into a whole new level of awesome. Fantastic!

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and coolcut like this.
    12-06-13 10:17 PM
    That is definitely a key, key important feature. One of the biggest liabilities of installing Android apps without the Google Play Services present is that there is nothing to monitor apps for updates and make it easy to install those updates. (Especially if one or more of the developers discover and subsequently patch security vulnerabilities in their app)

This feature largely eliminates that concern. Major props for that.
    Agreed. While I love the way the Droid Store has progressed, I have to admit that the last version of Snap has me hooked - the .apk details and the update checks feature has completely sold me. Great job, jamespaul!!
    12-06-13 11:42 PM
    fantastic! i bought a paid app from the Google play store through Blue Stacks a couple of months ago that I converted and side loaded onto my Z10 that wouldn't make it passed the licence verification check ! oh well. Then when I was able to use the Amazon play store they had the same app and I bought it again, so there's $16.00 spent, well this time it installed! but as you are all aware Amazon apps crash shortly after being opened! Thank you very much for all your hard work and I look forward to hopefully getting paid apps to work.
    12-07-13 06:39 AM
    James, I reported earlier about a battery drain problem (using .68percent at idle), that cleared up in about 48hrs so that the device monitor shows snap at "idle" when not in use now.....I have an android device and I wanted to test installing a paid app on my z10 from the google play website, I first uninstalled from my android and then selected the z10 to install and the prompt actually said "this will be installed", so I go to "available" tab in snap and there is the app greyed out with a "install requested" status....we are almost there This app alone could make Blackberry mainstream again! the new ceo should take note...... Thank you
    12-07-13 09:08 AM
    I am wondering though: why did you name it Snap? I kind of like it (sounds similar to Snatch), but it does not really give an impression of what the app does...
    Or is there a hidden meaning I am missing?

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    12-07-13 09:18 AM
    Not sure if this has been asked, but with the latest version how do I see all results? I only see 20 when it says for example 42 results
    Awesome app, no longer hangs on downloading

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 09:40 AM
    I sideload this app on all of my friends and family BB's. Not sure on the "snap" name either. And, a couple have also asked about the logo "is this app ok to use".

May be name it "GoPlay" (Google Play Store). and, someone could design some options on the logo for the developer?
    12-07-13 10:56 AM
    I figured as long as people are mentioning the app name and icon, I should try and come up with some alternatives. So this is basically what I think a native Android Store icon should look like; similar in shape & style to the BBWorld icon to make it feel more official.
    Snap - Download Apps from Google Play Directly to your BlackBerry 10.2.1+-snap-logo-2.png
    Removed one icon, could not get it cleaned up properly.
    Last edited by MrGlenn; 12-07-13 at 01:51 PM.
    SteelGreek and Foppa_21 like this.
    12-07-13 12:12 PM
    Let me bring back my design from a week ago, which I tried to make very simple (it probably won't display nice in cb10 app, so go to the site, and yes it has a rough edge to it, but you will see it enlarged x5, so it will not be noticeable on screen)
    Snap - Download Apps from Google Play Directly to your BlackBerry 10.2.1+-snap.png

It is based on BlackBerry World icon (logo and rim) and shape of gplay

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 01:31 PM
    Let me bring back my design from a week ago, which I tried to make very simple (it probably won't display nice in cb10 app, so go to the site, and yes it has a rough edge to it, but you will see it enlarged x5, so it will not be noticeable on screen)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap.png 
Views:	11279 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	227835

Posted via CB10
    This design works for me..

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055 "the iPhone-killa"
    12-07-13 01:40 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap.png 
Views:	11279 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	227835

Posted via CB10
    Very nice! Please change the logo as I dont have anything google on my beloved BlackBerry. Im not a fan of anything google. If I was I would buy an android device! No offence to those who do.

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    12-07-13 01:45 PM
    And snap is awesome. Thank you and will be contributing for your efforts.

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    12-07-13 01:47 PM
    Oh, I like that one as well! That is also the kind of icon I was going for, a mix of both store icons in BB10 style. Though the outside border could be a bit more like the BBWorld icon for my taste (it is more of a steel-blue).
    Let me bring back my design from a week ago
    12-07-13 01:53 PM
    You don't want anything Google on your Blackberry...but you want to be able to install android apps? That totally makes sense...in backwards world, lol...
    12-07-13 02:55 PM
    I sideload this app on all of my friends and family BB's. Not sure on the "snap" name either. And, a couple have also asked about the logo "is this app ok to use".

May be name it "GoPlay" (Google Play Store). and, someone could design some options on the logo for the developer?
    I think Snap is an awesome name...like "oh snap! Play Store apps on my Blackberry!", and the icon is awesome, in my opinion. I love having that robot with the BB logo on his belly on my Z10, it looks so cool! :-) As far as anyone wondering if the app is ok to use, I think anyone comfortable with having you sideload apps on their phone, would trust your judgement enough to know that its ok to use if you put it on their phone. I'm not trying to be rude, just my opinion :-) No matter what its called, no matter what the icon looks like, Snap is awesome! But I definitely love the icon the way it is.
    patmur2010 and Mecca EL like this.
    12-07-13 02:56 PM
    Very nice! Please change the logo as I dont have anything google on my beloved BlackBerry. Im not a fan of anything google. If I was I would buy an android device! No offence to those who do.

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    If you are using Snap, you are installing android apps on your device. How is that "don't have anything google"?

Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.1055
    12-07-13 03:04 PM
    For the record, Snap is fine, the logo is a little funny to me, android dude with a BlackBerry bellybutton.

I just thought that it might be fun to brainstorm. Since this pulls from Google Play, it seems to make sense to have something about it allude to that.

And, while we side load it today, I hope that BlackBerry gives us a method to load bars some other way other than BlackBerry World - like through BetaZone

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 03:09 PM
    Snatch would be pretty funny too. Except I think people would think it is an app about something else.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 03:11 PM
    You don't want anything Google on your Blackberry...but you want to be able to install android apps? That totally makes sense...in backwards world, lol...
    If im downloading instagram is that google?

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    12-07-13 03:39 PM
    If you are using Snap, you are installing android apps on your device. How is that "don't have anything google"?

Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.1055
    Sure the apps in play store is made for android. But does that mean its google?

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    12-07-13 03:40 PM
    It doesn't matter what the icon looks like. Some people will always prefer something else. Some people are just full of issues, they can never be satisfied. I just don't get it, as long as the app serves its purpose, what does it matter what the icon looks like? Moreover, there is nothing wrong with the current icon.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    shai404 likes this.
    12-07-13 05:00 PM
    Great work keep it up
    12-07-13 05:10 PM
    It doesn't matter what the icon looks like. Some people will always prefer something else. Some people are just full of issues, they can never be satisfied. I just don't get it, as long as the app serves its purpose, what does it matter what the icon looks like? Moreover, there is nothing wrong with the current icon.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    Agreed, I don't care what it's called or what icon it has, if you don't like it then go develop your own appstore. In fact IT world we have a saying, If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The app works great, I removed aptitude and all those other shady app stores, at least these apps come straight from google.

Many thanks for the dev.

Posted via CB10, Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    12-07-13 05:17 PM
    I never said there was anything wrong with the name, I was curious where it came from. As far as the icon goes: I have no knowledge of programming, so I figured I would contribute to the discussion in my own way.

There is nothing wrong with discussing what people want the app/icon/name to look like, that is the way great products are made. Of course James as the dev has final/only say on what goes into the app, but who knows, he might like some of the suggestions.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    12-07-13 05:30 PM
    I just want it to be on every BlackBerry. So whatever needs to be done to make that happen is good for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 06:58 PM
3,312 ... 4142434445 ...