This is the reason I'm asking for apk. I don't know what thread you are referring to. I'm sure if you make snap as an android apk, it will get easy for so many users. Not everyone want to learn how to sideload. It's too technical for average joe.

Posted via CB10
    Well then it's a good thing that BlackBerry partnered with Amazon
    06-27-14 11:49 PM
    This is the reason I'm asking for apk. I don't know what thread you are referring to. I'm sure if you make snap as an android apk, it will get easy for so many users. Not everyone want to learn how to sideload. It's too technical for average joe.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately, that native snap experience can't be achieved without sideloading. Otherwise it'll run like every other android app - like ****.

Want a **** app or a good app? If the answer is good, get sideloading.
    nappp likes this.
    06-28-14 02:04 AM
    Unfortunately, that native snap experience can't be achieved without sideloading. Otherwise it'll run like every other android app - like ****.

Want a **** app or a good app? If the answer is good, get sideloading.
    So by your logic, using Snap is pointless anyway.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.0.296
    06-28-14 02:59 AM

Z30STA100-2/10.3.0.296
    Not true. Apps designed to run on your OS will give you less problems than apps that aren't designed for it. Sadly there are many apps that won't develop native for BlackBerry so Snap and Amazon will be the only way you get access to the apps you may feel you're missing, and you run them knowing you may only get limited access to the app that you would have if the app was coded to run native on your device. Not to mention that some apps may not work at first and will require the apk to be "patched" to work which is a different thread entirely, and STILL the apk may not work at all! Snap gives you incredibly easy access to the free and paid apps available in the Play Store for you to run at your own risk and side loading Snap's BAR file using Cobalt's method that I posted is even easier all you need is a PC. You click one button and Snap downloads and installs by itself. As a added benefit any other BAR files you may want to sideload you can do with the same installer by dragging and dropping them in the space provided in the window. Side loading is easy for the average Joe if you give it a try.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    06-28-14 08:22 AM

Z30STA100-2/10.3.0.296
    Long story short: Snap is a superior way to download apps with inferior performance, but it's the only way you can get those apps since they're not coming native any time soon.

06-28-14 08:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    Follow this link to Cobalt's automatic Snap installer that I posted earlier.

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...taller-902493/

06-28-14 08:45 AM

Z30STA100-2/10.3.0.296
    If I'm given the option between driving a ferrari and driving a ford focus, I'll choose the ferrari.

If I'm told "take the ford focus or nothing", I'll take the focus.

If someone complains that the ferrari is too hard to attain, they should just take the ford.
    nappp, SlcCorrado, jzajac and 1 others like this.
    06-28-14 10:39 AM
    If I'm given the option between driving a ferrari and driving a ford focus, I'll choose the ferrari.

If I'm told "take the ford focus or nothing", I'll take the focus.

If someone complains that the ferrari is too hard to attain, they should just take the ford.
    Haha, great analogy
    06-28-14 11:51 AM
    Let me put it this way. If a dev releases a similar app as apk, guess which one will be popular? Nobody will want snap cos no one wants extra steps to load an app. I don't get the argument that native is better, it serves no purpose to be native. Its a store, nobody cares if it is native when they open the app. They just want to get their Android apps. Amazon app store is not native and I don't see any difference. The essence I am requesting the dev to make it apk is for easy distribution to lots of bb10 users who can't be bothered about side loading.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 04:26 PM
    Let me put it this way. If a dev releases a similar app as apk, guess which one will be popular? Nobody will want snap cos no one wants extra steps to load an app. I don't get the argument that native is better, it serves no purpose to be native. Its a store, nobody cares if it is native when they open the app. They just want to get their Android apps. Amazon app store is not native and I don't see any difference. The essence I am requesting the dev to make it apk is for easy distribution to lots of bb10 users who can't be bothered about side loading.

Posted via CB10
    Well, we know Google won't release their store as a usable apk unless BlackBerry grants permissions so we can download directly from them, but then that would turn into a native app experience, no? You can cut out the middleman right now by sideloading which takes about 5 minutes, that's Snap. There won't be a "BlackBerry apk" version since by design an apk is a file that's written for android but sometimes plays nice with BlackBerry. You either want to sideload now to get the Google Play experience, stick with the amazon marketplace which won't necessarily sync your downloads (both free and purchased apps) with Google Play so you would have to buy apps twice, or start writing both Google and BlackBerry to strike up some agreement. The easiest and fastest method is by far sideloading.

06-28-14 07:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    1mobile, aptoide, amazon. There are alternatives. And yet, this one seems to be the most popular on these forums. There's a reason for this.
    jzajac likes this.
    06-28-14 10:08 PM
    1mobile, aptoide, amazon. There are alternatives. And yet, this one seems to be the most popular on these forums. There's a reason for this.
    Over 2.5 million app downloads through Snap. They're obviously doing something right with it.

06-28-14 10:20 PM
    The Amazon app store is pretty nice, and they still have $100 worth of free premium apps ending today. I have the apk, if anyone needs it hit me direct. Pin:24F3BC7A

Posted from Zedrick the 10th via CB10
    06-28-14 10:24 PM
    That's not my argument. If you have snap apk and snap bar that needs sideload, which one would you go for?

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 10:32 PM
    That's not my argument. If you have snap apk and snap bar that needs sideload, which one would you go for?

Posted via CB10
    I installed the bar file for Snap(months ago) and have not noticed any issues as of yet. Just installed the Amazon apk today and have been happy with that one as well so far.

Posted from Zedrick the 10th via CB10
    06-28-14 10:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    The native one.
    jzajac, nappp and yellowhammer like this.
    06-29-14 12:44 AM
    apk, because I can use my phone's built-in apk-installer. No need to fiddle with a third-party bar-installer.
    Last edited by eywong; 06-30-14 at 07:48 AM.
    06-29-14 01:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    The BAR file because that is designed for use with BlackBerry 10, just like you would pick the Snap BAR if it could be downloaded over the air over the APK. Just like how I would sideload Instagram if that was available as a BAR built for use on BB10 instead of using the android version.

Honestly, have you ever tried the automated installer? It's so simple, you just hook your phone up to your PC like you're going to use BlackBerry Link, but you open the installer instead and hit "download and install Snap". Then magically Snap is installed on your phone in seconds. You don't have to convert any files or do any work other than temporarily putting your phone into development mode, then that turns off after 10 days on its own or the next time your phone restarts.

The only reason someone shouldn't try to sideload is if they have a corporate email account and the IT policy is blocking them. Even then, you can just delete the corporate email address and that removes the IT policy. Then have the company send you a new code to put the email back on the device.

Sally Mack likes this.
    06-29-14 07:02 AM
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before. But from my experience with this app, it seems downloads are paused and eventually ended if app if passed in the active frame.
    Also downloads seems to get cancelled if you leave window where the app is being downloaded eg. to search for a 2nd app while the 1st is downloading.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 09:43 AM
    Merci beaucoup pour le poste

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 11:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    Snap. Easy as that. Native is better. You have to try it to know. Those that won't miss out.
    jzajac likes this.
    06-29-14 01:21 PM
    Snap. Easy as that. Native is better. You have to try it to know. Those that won't miss out.
    Nappp says Snap: believe in the BAR!

nappp likes this.
    06-29-14 04:02 PM
    The BAR file because that is designed for use with BlackBerry 10, just like you would pick the Snap BAR if it could be downloaded over the air over the APK. Just like how I would sideload Instagram if that was available as a BAR built for use on BB10 instead of using the android version.

Honestly, have you ever tried the automated installer? It's so simple, you just hook your phone up to your PC like you're going to use BlackBerry Link, but you open the installer instead and hit "download and install Snap". Then magically Snap is installed on your phone in seconds. You don't have to convert any files or do any work other than temporarily putting your phone into development mode, then that turns off after 10 days on its own or the next time your phone restarts.

The only reason someone shouldn't try to sideload is if they have a corporate email account and the IT policy is blocking them. Even then, you can just delete the corporate email address and that removes the IT policy. Then have the company send you a new code to put the email back on the device.

I'll give you that since you are already used to sideload. Now if you have bar and apk, same functionality and you are to send to an iPhone user that have never used a BlackBerry before. Will you go through the process of explaining dev mode, download installer, get ip address, etc or would you send an apk and tell him click and install? I'm a dev myself and I know how to sideload, however I recently sent the installer with instructions to an iPhone user that just bought a Z30. He had issues with it. I had to send him alternative way to sideload it. In essence what I'm saying is that sideload limits the adoption snap outside crackberry community.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 08:10 PM
    I'll give you that since you are already used to sideload. Now if you have bar and apk, same functionality and you are to send to an iPhone user that have never used a BlackBerry before. Will you go through the process of explaining dev mode, download installer, get ip address, etc or would you send an apk and tell him click and install? I'm a dev myself and I know how to sideload, however I recently sent the installer with instructions to an iPhone user that just bought a Z30. He had issues with it. I had to send him alternative way to sideload it. In essence what I'm saying is that sideload limits the adoption snap outside crackberry community.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I would happily explain the process. USB loading is literally clicking and dragging a file to your device when you use this installer which works for all BAR files. The device tells you exactly what to enter for the IP in the installer and all they need to do is enter the password that they create and they're off and running. If they know how to use a flash drive they can sideload like a pro.

I would love it if BlackBerry allowed other shortcuts to the Play Store to be downloaded in BlackBerry World so any updates in the BAR file could be downloaded over the air. Since that won't happen any time soon I'm still quite happy to have the BlackBerry file for downloading any additional android apps I may want to try even if that means I do a few minutes of extra work myself to get it going.

As for limiting downloads of Snap, it's pretty safe to assume that it and the installer wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the CrackBerry community in the first place. The masterminds behind these great things share them here and as more people learn and share it grows and grows. It's up to us to share the knowledge that we pick up here to keep it going, not encouraging people to stay away because it may be a little bit easier for them to understand. Teach the right way, not the easy way.

06-29-14 09:10 PM
    On 10.3.0.700 you can toggle On/Off hub notification for any android app by going to Settings > Notifications > Applications. See
    Attachment 281038

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    Really thrill me off. Juz can't wait d official 10.3..

Posted via CB10 from my STL100-1/10.2.1.3175. (Only god knows how much I love my Z10
    06-30-14 02:48 AM
3,312 ... 113114115116117 ...