Eh so question I downloaded new snap2chat app and one thing that really popped out to my friends is that we can't send pics longer than 10 seconds, what's up with this. As my buddy just showed me a half dozen he got from his friends that were all over a min long.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 06:59 PM
    Eh so question I downloaded new snap2chat app and one thing that really popped out to my friends is that we can't send pics longer than 10 seconds, what's up with this. As my buddy just showed me a half dozen he got from his friends that were all over a min long.

Posted via CB10
    This thread is for snap... not snap2chat. You may want to delete that post and post it in the snap2chat thread.
    04-25-14 07:48 PM
    Rodger doger

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 10:37 PM
    No update yet?

@geenaxion Keepin' it Chill Z10 (10.2.1.2228) BB10Store on Aptoide Subscribe "Dance for Life" C0029D483
    04-26-14 02:14 PM
    I've been using Snap for quite a while and it works great! I've recently started purchasing apps and games through Google Play which I can install direct to my z10 - absolutely fantastic.

The problem I'm having is with the in-app purchases specifically. For example, I've installed X-Plane and Infinite Flight (I know this one's a bit choppy in game play) and they installed fine and I can play the games; however, I've purchased a few planes and airports within the games via my Samsung Tablet and can't get them recognised on my z10. In X-Plane for instance it even states "restoring purchases" but doesn't complete in the end (no error and not present after restart) .

So my question is.. is there a work around in Snap; or is there some future development on the horizon for Snap 2.0.0.2+ to allow for in-app purchases to be recognised and implemented; or based on the framework and possible limitations for Snap, this simply cannot be done?

Thanks in advanced for the assistance.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-14 08:46 AM
    Ahh Geez,

I think I just answered my own question. I now just realize that Snap installs the original app or game. In-app purchasing is done within the game so the interaction is strictly between the developer's program and Google Play. So if the BB10 Android runtime can't seamlessly allow for this integration to take place like it would on an Android device then in-app purchases won't get recognised and implemented. So there's really nothing that Snap can do.

If anyone has any greater insight on this and would care to post I would appreciate it. Don't know if any work around exists.. would be great to get those extra planes I paid for on my z10

Posted via CB10
    04-27-14 08:57 AM
    I'm having a problem with updating my apps through snap, it is getting stuck at the processing stage after I open the installer. And i cant open my android apps anymore does anyone know what to do about this??

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 10:09 AM
    I'm having a problem with updating my apps through snap, it is getting stuck at the processing stage after I open the installer. And i cant open my android apps anymore does anyone know what to do about this??

Posted via CB10
    Did you recently update your device OS?

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    04-28-14 10:29 AM
    nope, haven't updated it since the last update.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 10:31 AM
    nope, haven't updated it since the last update.

Have you done a full cold restart of the device recently? The Android runtime may have gotten into a "funny" state.

Hold power button until device says it will power off, after a minute or so the screen will go black. Power back on afterwards, see how that works.
    04-28-14 11:25 AM
    Very cool app

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 09:19 AM
    Cool

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 05:18 PM
    Let's look forward to it

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 05:23 AM
    does this mean, if I download candy crush or farm hero it wont crash if i try to open it? Thanks by the way..
    05-02-14 11:35 AM
    does this mean, if I download candy crush or farm hero it wont crash if i try to open it? Thanks by the way..
    Not necessarily. This will let you download apps directly from the Google Play store. If they require access to Google services, the app may still crash. Fortunately there is a way to take care of most of those problems by patching the app as described in this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...rvices-914930/

I say "most" because some of these apps will just not work no matter what you do. The most recent Candy Crush is an example of that. I believe the last one to work was version 1.27.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    05-02-14 01:33 PM
    As per my usual hall monitoring, I just want to remind people that a HUGE source of malware on Android is via 3rd-party app stores, and if you are installing older apps there's a good chance there are unfixed security vulnerabilities on them even on "legit" apps, etc.

At the very least, download a good antimalware app like Avast or MalwareBytes (via Snap) and have it check everything you download from such places.
    Omni Tech, et. al.:

I want to install Google maps with Snap, but don't like the acceptance screen asking for what looks to be absolutely full rights to my phone.
    I understand that the BlackBerry to Android runtime does some sort of 'sandboxing', but don't know to what extent.
    The last thing I want to get into is to have to utilize a male are app! This is the reason why I own a BlackBerry.
    Now before someone says "Then don't install Google Maps", etc., I do often require such an app if my native BlackBerry maps doesnt comply with a search.

Thoughts?
    05-04-14 02:05 AM
    Not necessarily. This will let you download apps directly from the Google Play store. If they require access to Google services, the app may still crash. Fortunately there is a way to take care of most of those problems by patching the app as described in this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...rvices-914930/

I say "most" because some of these apps will just not work no matter what you do. The most recent Candy Crush is an example of that. I believe the last one to work was version 1.27.

Is it .27? What's working for me is. 23

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 02:46 AM
    Is it .27? What's working for me is. 23

Posted via CB10
    I have. 27 working without a patch. That was the last one I could get to work with or without patching.

05-04-14 07:19 AM
    Omni Tech, et. al.:

I want to install Google maps with Snap, but don't like the acceptance screen asking for what looks to be absolutely full rights to my phone.
    I understand that the BlackBerry to Android runtime does some sort of 'sandboxing', but don't know to what extent.
    The last thing I want to get into is to have to utilize a male are app! This is the reason why I own a BlackBerry.
    Now before someone says "Then don't install Google Maps", etc., I do often require such an app if my native BlackBerry maps doesnt comply with a search.

Thoughts?
    Just remember that Snap downloads directly from Google Play Store. You are getting the same apps any person with an android phone would be getting. I would say that what Snap downloads is safe.

Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.2947 (2759 radio)
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    05-04-14 07:42 AM
    Omni Tech, et. al.:

Thoughts?
    I think the likelihood of Google Maps containing any malware is minimal. Usually there are very good reasons that apps require the permissions they ask for and people get so freaked out they either play with the permissions and the app suffers performance wise leading to bad reviews, or they don't install the app at all. Sure, the 'all or nothing' approach to permissions can lead to issues if you download a suspect app from a random developer, but it prevents consumers from crippling an app before ever using it. If you use your best judgement and don't download obvious crapware you should be fine.

Google Maps doesn't surprise me that it requires a ton of permissions (contacts for emailing locations or directions, phone access to use your cell network or wifi for location info or to turn on the speaker for voice guidance, memory access for caching map data, not to mention GPS access for obvious reasons). I'm sure you know that just because it asks for the access and has those features it doesn't mean they'll actually work on your device.

With all this being said, you did answer your own question. If you aren't comfortable with granting the permissions an app is asking for then just don't download it.

05-04-14 07:46 AM
    Omni Tech, et. al.:

Thoughts?

There is no question whatsoever that installing Android apps on a BB10 device, in general, is riskier than installing apps from BlackBerry World. (Whether they be native BB10 apps, or simply Android apps converted or ported or re-packaged for BB10) That's why there's a big warning whenever you install a direct APK in BB10.

Part of that is due to the risks with the Android platform itself (ie no granular permissions as in BB10, and some architectural things), part of that is that there is no one checking for proper performance on the BB10 platform, or whether it meets other standards such as privacy protection, support contacts etc., and part of it is simply because the vast majority of mobile malware today is Android malware. (Over 99%, believe it or not. Which is why I run antimalware apps on the devices I install direct Android APKs on.

And remember, an app doesn't necessarily have to meet a strict definition of "malware" to do something unwanted - ie exploit having access to your contacts and then add them to spam lists or something.

That said, there's a simple solution if you want a mapping app that uses Google's map data: install one of the many different BB10 apps in BlackBerry World that utilize Google or other mapping data other than the data BlackBerry Maps uses. (Which BTW comes from a company called TCS)

Personally I use BeMaps Pro - works great. I use it for satellite view all the time.
    05-04-14 08:30 PM
    Does BeMaps Pro use Google map data?
    05-04-14 08:41 PM
    Does BeMaps Pro use Google map data?
    Yes. That includes public transit data too.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    05-04-14 08:53 PM
    Yes. That includes public transit data too.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    Hmm. Might be worth the money instead of sideloading GMaps like I have now. Thanks.
    05-04-14 10:18 PM
    There is no question whatsoever that installing Android apps on a BB10 device, in general, is riskier than installing apps from BlackBerry World....

That said, there's a simple solution if you want a mapping app that uses Google's map data: install one of the many different BB10 apps in BlackBerry World that utilize Google or other mapping data other than the data BlackBerry Maps uses. (Which BTW comes from a company called TCS)

Personally I use BeMaps Pro - works great. I use it for satellite view all the time.

Thanks for this. I will try your suggestion.

I keep thinking about security vs. Reward here and what has me a bit puzzled, is that supposedly BlackBerry has built a sandbox into the Android runtime, but I am unsure as to whether or not it is capable of halting attempts like malware. Also, the data mining is what I am concerned about. These two issues need not concern pure BlackBerry users (so far).
    All in all, Android runtime on bb10 is a smart temp. Solution, but I am looking forward to never really needing it except for the odd game that the kids want to play while in a family outing, etc.

Thanks again.
    05-05-14 12:19 AM
3,312 ... 104105106107108 ...