PlayBook .apk to .bar converter

I'm a hardcore Android user (first post yes), running an Xperia T but I was greatly impressed by the Z10 UI during my couple of recent visits in TMO stores1 so just out of curiosity I'm trying to line up my ~140 apps and see how many of them would be lost on BB10...

...is that a legit site? I'm OK converting myself, just want to save time, that's all.
    THX

1 of course, neither store had a properly configured, available for free-to-play, working demo unit; in the first store they had it on display with a giant security crap attached and totally discharged so I had to ask them to recharge it so it can be turned on at least, left to have lunch then when I was back they couldn't exit demo mode - I had to use a voice recognition trick to get a browser... second store had a working one except it was in the back, you had to ask for it, they only had a mockup in front.
    FWIW according to the guy in the second store (Brooklyn, NY) they are selling ~2 per day on average - I find it reasonable, as I remember TMO runs about 2000+ (3000?) stores in the US so that'd make it to 4000+ sold units per day (it's not a particularly well-positioned store nor a bad one) which I consider a decent daily sales number...
    04-17-13 03:18 PM
    Not sure what you mean by "Valid". Yes, it works. I've converted a couple Android .apk files and they have worked great on my z10. I have also had a couple that don't work, most notably the Yelp app. It also doesn't necessarily give you the same app version. Like in the case of the Yelp app, I uploaded something like version 3.0.8 and it spit out 1.0.8 (not exact numbers, but something along that line). So you get what you pay for I guess.
    04-17-13 03:23 PM
    Not sure what you mean by "Valid".
    Sorry, I rewrote the post and forgot to double-check the title - I corrected it since, I meant 'legit', that it does not spit out something that's been "padded" with some malicious etc "gift"...

Yes, it works. I've converted a couple Android .apk files and they have worked great on my z10. I have also had a couple that don't work, most notably the Yelp app. It also doesn't necessarily give you the same app version. Like in the case of the Yelp app, I uploaded something like version 3.0.8 and it spit out 1.0.8 (not exact numbers, but something along that line). So you get what you pay for I guess.
    I see, thanks. So I guess I have two choices:

1. stick to manually converting everything, spending days with it then getting a Z10 and test them one by one to see how many of them will work
    2. go with this site and get them done in a day, getting a Z10 and then trying to manually convert what does not work

...hmm, the 14 days return window at TMO isn't much, to be honest - my Android phones usually started exhibiting smaller hiccups months of heavy use, when stuff started to pile up on it...
    04-17-13 03:37 PM
    Yea, I haven't had any issues with this site regarding malicious code or anything like that.

Honestly, I think 14 days would be plenty of time to decide if you like this phone or not. But I also base that on general use, not app availability. 14 days may not be enough time to convert all your stuff that you must have.

My app "must haves" aren't nearly that big, so I am good to go. The only thing I don't have that I wish I did is a Yelp app. But for now, I just visit the website with my browser and it works just fine. Not everything needs an app, some times you can just go to the website.
    04-17-13 05:04 PM
    Oh, I'm with you on that, trust me, I never signed up for the current (dumb) app-craze - it was largely made up by Apple, due to their crippled/crappy OS with no Flash etc support, financial interest to rip off people etc etc.
    TerribleTim68 likes this.
    04-17-13 05:31 PM
    Yes it's legit but keep in mind, it's an open site. Anyone can submit anything. Also, that site has a habit of caching files to save bandwidth so if you upload a file that is possibly already on the server, it tends to send the file that already exists instead of converting the file you uploaded. Long story short, you might want to use your own apps and there's next to no point to convert them now anyway considering BB10 can run APK files directly.
    07-16-14 09:54 PM