Write down a list of rogue Android apps that are causing your battery life to go down the drain! Maybe it will help others to see if the short battery life others experienced is really caused by rogue Android apps.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-08-15 08:11 AM
    Many apps cause battery life to go down. That's the idea of a battery powered phone, right? How can we know exactly which ones?
    1magine likes this.
    06-08-15 08:15 AM
    I think it's too vague to just ask this.
    What exactly do you define as draining too much...
    06-08-15 08:27 AM
    Many apps cause battery life to go down. That's the idea of a battery powered phone, right? How can we know exactly which ones?
    No sh#*T lol I think he means android apps that after you tell it to close they reopen wasting battery life. For example shopyourway app uses so much battery life it's ridiculous. I can close it on the device monitor but little bit later it's running in the background again even if you don't have its permissions to do the run while minimized.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-08-15 08:41 AM
    No sh#*T lol I think he means android apps that after you tell it to close they reopen wasting battery life. For example shopyourway app uses so much battery life it's ridiculous. I can close it on the device monitor but little bit later it's running in the background again even if you don't have its permissions to do the run while minimized.

Posted via CB10
    Oops, yes I meant that. Sorry for the confusion.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-08-15 08:49 AM
    Facebook for android

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    06-08-15 08:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    Many Android apps operate background services and processes by design. You can't shut then down, because you won't get notifications or other functionality as intended by the developer. "Run when minimised" has nothing to do with this, only with the app itself.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-08-15 08:54 AM
    Many Android apps operate background services and processes by design. You can't shut then down, because you won't get notifications or other functionality as intended by the developer. "Run when minimised" has nothing to do with this, only with the app itself.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    Yeah I knew that it had nothing to do with it but I included that info as most people usally think that had something to do with it. I wish we had an option to limit this I don't want notifications and what not I want to use this app when I want to. It's a shame how much lack of control android apps give the user. Luckly it's not an essential app but I use it for work a lot lol actually.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 09:05 AM
    Yeah I knew that it had nothing to do with it but I included that info as most people usally think that had something to do with it. I wish we had an option to limit this I don't want notifications and what not I want to use this app when I want to. It's a shame how much lack of control android apps give the user. Luckly it's not an essential app but I use it for work a lot lol actually.

Posted via CB10
    The problem for BlackBerry is that if they give the Runtime that type of granular control over the processes that some apps require, it could generate unintended consequences, loss of functionality, and general anger from people already struggling with Android app compatibility.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    06-08-15 09:20 AM
    What most would suffer thru, when dealing with a "rogue" android app, goes a bit deeper than locking out permissions. Most have a feature known as a "Wake Lock", that is built into the app. Here's some reading:
    https://developer.android.com/traini.../wakelock.html

In OS10, the most that a user can control, when dealing with any app, this the ability of preventing an app from running while minimize - being in an active frame. But what about when the app is "closed"? Closing an app does not mean you've turned it off. Depending on what the app is, and the services it is attached to, it will continue to run in the background. BBM runs in the background, for example. For android apps, especially the social apps, running in the background is how you would continue to receive Twitter updates, for example. Wake Locks, in some instances, help keep the screen "on" while watching ShowBox. This drains resources on a BB, because it is the equivalent of a redundant request - the screen won't time out on a BB when viewing a video source, that request is already a part of the OS.

An app with a Wake Lock can also call out to keep the device CPU active, for background tasks. Things like polling for app updates, Instagram updates, contact backup, etc. can come off as a "rogue" app, when in fact, it's simply doing as it was designed to do...and you just don't understand what exactly it is, it's doing. Even a game, updating scores, stats, and new players will drain your battery. The app isn't "bad", the programming isn't "flawed", nor is there nefarious doings going on. An android app was written with android services in mind. BB apps are written with BB services in mind. Crossing the two is not a "bad" thing, especially when BB app development is still at a crawl, and you have necessities. Just be mindful of the social and entertainment apps. They're written with the purpose of providing content to a device with a huge battery, and way more user control, so drain isn't that much of a factor in android space. In the cases where it is, these "rogue" apps can be fully locked out.

...and knowing is half the battle! Geee...Eye...JOE!!!!
    conite, KingOfQwerty and 1magine like this.
    06-08-15 09:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    You wouldn't need this kind of control, if apps were specifically written for OS10. Take a Nemory app, for example - and please set aside any personal issues many might have with him. He's at least offering a user experience, targeting BBOS10, and not offering a resigned android application, when it comes to social apps. J. Carty, the developer of Blaq, offers the same BB specific experience for Twitter users. SNAP is written specifically for BBOS10, performing its task in a proper manner for an OS10 device.
    06-08-15 09:57 AM
    You wouldn't need this kind of control, if apps were specifically written for OS10. Take a Nemory app, for example - and please set aside any personal issues many might have with him. He's at least offering a user experience, targeting BBOS10, and not offering a resigned android application, when it comes to social apps. J. Carty, the developer of Blaq, offers the same BB specific experience for Twitter users. SNAP is written specifically for BBOS10, performing its task in a proper manner for an OS10 device.
    Love nemory apps but there are some apps that I have to deal with for the time being.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-08-15 10:06 PM