Hi all
    I installed all of Cobalt's files successfully on my Q10 (play services, Google ID, play store,whiteboard etc). Unfortunately, this has severely decreased my battery life (by about 2/3's) and really slowed down everything!

My question: is it possible to remove all of Cobalt's files and restore my device to the way it was before I installed these files? I still need to be able to run the few android apps that were still working before I made these changes.

Thanks for the help
    Amnesia

Posted via CB10
    04-21-19 10:55 PM
    Hi all
    I installed all of Cobalt's files successfully on my Q10 (play services, Google ID, play store,whiteboard etc). Unfortunately, this has severely decreased my battery life (by about 2/3's) and really slowed down everything!

My question: is it possible to remove all of Cobalt's files and restore my device to the way it was before I installed these files? I still need to be able to run the few android apps that were still working before I made these changes.

Thanks for the help
    Amnesia

Posted via CB10
    Just delete them. Done.
    04-21-19 11:45 PM
    Thanks for the response. That's a huge relief. I was worried that com.google.android.gms-11.3.02-cobalt altered blackberry's android "runtime", and removing it would affect my still running Android apps

Posted via CB10
    04-21-19 11:57 PM
    Nah something like that doesn't happens just delete them no need to go in deep thinking.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-19 03:57 AM
    The main reason I installed it was to run "pay by phone parking app Vancouver". I was able to install the app but it gives me this error message when it runs: "a connection to the payment service has failed. Please check coverage and data connection". Would patching the app help?
    04-22-19 11:06 AM
    The main reason I installed it was to run "pay by phone parking app Vancouver". I was able to install the app but it gives me this error message when it runs: "a connection to the payment service has failed. Please check coverage and data connection". Would patching the app help?
    Maybe.

But running patched apps often requires the rest of the Cobalt stack.
    04-22-19 11:34 AM
    Not sure what you mean. I've installed all of Cobalt's apps
    04-22-19 11:36 AM
    Not sure what you mean. I've installed all of Cobalt's apps
    I thought this thread was about deleting all of those apps.
    04-22-19 11:51 AM
    True that! But if I could get the PBP app working then maybe i'd keep them for a while
    04-22-19 11:54 AM
    True that! But if I could get the PBP app working then maybe i'd keep them for a while
    Apps with payment systems or banking don't tend to work well on BB10.... maybe do a search for the app in question with a BlackBerry key word like Passport or Classic.

That said, Cobalt's file should not have broken an existing Android Apps....

For me a clean install of the OS with an Autoloader was a pretty quick and simple thing to do. And BB10 works so much better on a clean install. At this point I'd probable skip Cobalt's files and just use Yalp/F-Droid for Android Apps... understanding that many won't work.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 04-23-19 at 07:52 AM.
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    04-23-19 07:32 AM
    Have you tried MicroG? Uses less battery than Cobalt's stack. You'd still have to patch the apps with Cobalt's patcher, but works pretty well and uses less battery than Google Play Services.

https://microg.org/download.html

+1 on the F-Droid and Yalp Store suggestion.
    Blaby likes this.
    04-23-19 02:29 PM
    Wow! Just deleted the apps, and I can't believe how much faster the phone is. It really was unusable. And the battery is holding up just fine. Surprisingly, what's app is still working! Thanks for all the help. Think I'm gonna go buy a Key 2
    04-23-19 03:56 PM
    Wow! Just deleted the apps, and I can't believe how much faster the phone is. It really was unusable. And the battery is holding up just fine. Surprisingly, what's app is still working! Thanks for all the help. Think I'm gonna go buy a Key 2
    WhatsApp never needed cobalt's stack. Nor does it need to be patched.
    04-23-19 03:59 PM
    Really??? Mine just stopped working with a message about not working on blackberry any more and I believed it!
    04-23-19 04:04 PM
    Really??? Mine just stopped working with a message about not working on blackberry any more and I believed it!
    You're using the latest Android version?

https://www.whatsapp.com/android/

Delete the old one first.
    04-23-19 04:12 PM
    I've got 2.19.98 (Apr 9,2019). Will I be able to install the newer one on Q10 now that i've removed play services, etc?
    04-23-19 04:52 PM
    I've got 2.19.98 (Apr 9,2019). Will I be able to install the newer one on Q10 now that i've removed play services, etc?
    Did you patch your current version?
    04-23-19 04:56 PM
    Nope. Just downloaded it prom play store (when I had it) and it worked - albeit slowly!
    04-23-19 05:11 PM
    Nope. Just downloaded it prom play store (when I had it) and it worked - albeit slowly!
    Ok. Cobalt's Play Services only work if you patch the apps that require it. Otherwise, it sits around sucking battery and doing nothing.

In any event, you don't need to patch WhatsApp, and an unpatched app can be simply installed over an old unpatched app.
    04-23-19 05:14 PM
    Gotcha. Thanks for all the help
    04-23-19 06:45 PM
    Thanks guys
    06-27-19 12:16 PM