I know there are threads for how to install apps like instagram, etc. from google play, but I'm getting my Q10 tomorrow and I'm totally confused on how to do it.

Is there a simple tutorial that I can understand? With the new 10.2, do you need a computer to download apps, or can you do it directly from your phone. I'm fed up with email on my iphone and I'm making the switch, but I want to get some of my old apps back.

Sorry - I know this is dumb, I just can't figure out what to do. I'm a complete novice.

Thanks.
    01-21-14 06:09 PM
    01-21-14 06:16 PM
    There are 4 ways that I can think of:

1. Copy a url from Google Play website and paste that link into an apk-downloader site like Evozi.
    2. Do same as above, but on PC, then transfer downloaded APK file from PC to BB.
    3. Sideload an app called Snap, a native BB10 Google Play client.
    4. Via your BB Browser, download one of many Android app stores, such as Amazon Appstore, Mobogenie, 1Mobile, Good e-Reader, and the list goes on and on.

After you download any app, you'll be given an Install button to tap. Install and... Voila you have the Android app on your device! That's it.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-21-14 06:16 PM
    It's not dumb at all.

If you're getting a Q10 tomorrow, and it's not a company phone on Balance, I strongly recommend downloading the 10.2.1.1925 autoloader for the Q10, and install it before you even set up the phone.

Once you've got that in place, do your device setup, do a little reading up on how to sideload, and find Snap. This app allows you to browse Google Play and download apps from there. Snap needs to be sideloaded (because it's not offered in BlackBerry World), but once you have it on board it lets you just download and install Android apps easily.

The hardest part of this entire exercise is just getting Snap on board.
    BergerKing and Elite1 like this.
    01-21-14 06:18 PM
    Thank you very much. The SNAP app looks to be the easiest. How do I download it to my phone? From a sidebar? Whats that? I know I sound dumb, no verizon store has the phone to test out, i'm going off my love of the old ones.

Will the apps also update as well?
    01-21-14 06:20 PM
    Thank you very much. The SNAP app looks to be the easiest. How do I download it to my phone? From a sidebar? Whats that?
    .bar is a file extension for BB10 (and PlayBook) apps, just like how .apk is the extension for Android apps.
    There's a free desktop app called Sachesi you can download to your PC. After that's on your PC, it's super easy to sideload any bar files you've downloaded to your PC onto your BB10 device.

Snap and most of the Android app stores I've checked out have options to check for updates and the updating works fine. It's a manual check, you're not being notified ever. (Some apps will notify you they have a new version when you open them. Ex Subway Surfers game does this.)

What doesn't work well is that when you update your device's OS you lose all your Android apps (unless you actually got them from BB World) and any app settings / game progress. You still retain the apk file you originally downloaded, so that makes it a little more convenient to re-install your apps.
    01-21-14 06:28 PM
    Thanks everyone. I think I can try and figure it out tomorrow. I really appreciate it. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I hope the email function is as good as their old one, its the main reason I am ditching my iphone. On top of missing the keyboard, of course
    01-21-14 06:42 PM
    One more dumb question: will my blackberry come with 10.2.1 and/or will it auto update to that verizon? Or is this still a beta and I wont be able to do this? I have verizon
    01-21-14 06:48 PM
    One more dumb question: will my blackberry come with 10.2.1 and/or will it auto update to that verizon? Or is this still a beta and I wont be able to do this? I have verizon
    Your device will NOT have the 10.2.1.XXXX os on it. If you decide to wait, it may take you a long time. I recommend downloading it and installing it manually. Besides learning with a fresh device is the best thing you can do for yourself.
    01-21-14 06:52 PM
    recommended mobogenie.apk it is no lag
    01-21-14 07:01 PM
    where do i download 10.2.1?
    01-21-14 07:03 PM
    and just to review - again, dumb I know but I want to make sure I got this down.

I first download 10.2.1 (from ?)
    Then download software to load programs on sidebar
    Then download SNAP.

Thats it?
    01-21-14 07:11 PM
    Check this article: Leaked OS 10.2.1.1925 for the BlackBerry Z30 and BlackBerry Z10 | CrackBerry.com

It includes links to both a tutorial and the forum thread with the leaks (for your Q10, you can click the link for Q5/10 10.2.1.1925 with 10.2.1.1899 radio)
    01-21-14 08:46 PM
    Thank you very much. The SNAP app looks to be the easiest. How do I download it to my phone? From a sidebar? Whats that? I know I sound dumb, no verizon store has the phone to test out, i'm going off my love of the old ones.

i just went to the browser on phone when to searched 1moblemarket app store.. downloaded app right to phone in stalled it... done started downloading apps... i did also install droid store which is not working and snap which was really confusing.. but ended up using playbook app manager on Google... that worked a charm..
    01-21-14 11:09 PM
    I finally just got the Q10. A lot to learn coming from 2 years of an iphone. Since snap seems to be the best way to get the apps I want, how do I download the new 10.2.xxx software and from where? I searched the site, but I just get strange links.
    I'm a complete novice, so the easier the better. Once I get that I can download snap I guess. I really appreciate everyone's help. I dont want to go back to the iphone
    01-23-14 05:25 PM