10-31-17 01:15 PM
44 12
tools
    Hey were having a party next Friday...BYOD...oh i mean BYOB....oh and one tiny little snag.... you can only bring beer....and only Labatts and Molson's....we don't support any other beverages.
    09-25-17 11:49 AM
    Hey were having a party next Friday...BYOD...oh i mean BYOB....oh and one tiny little snag.... you can only bring beer....and only Labatts and Molson's....we don't support any other beverages.
    You're not suggesting that IT departments should spend money (and assume the risk of) supporting every single OS on the planet, are you? Where do you draw the line?

If you were running an IT dept would you really support every possible device that a user could bring into work?
    09-25-17 11:56 AM
    Boss-man to you: "Mr Void, we appreciate what you have done for us, but IT says you refuse to corporate with them for personal reasons. Sorry but the decision has been made to let you go."

Boss-man to IT: "Guy's I finally got rid of that uncooperative Mr. Void who has been going on and one about support BlackBerry. Got a new guy fresh out of graduate school coming in for half what he was costing us."
    Boss-man to It....guys bad news, remember when I wouldn't accomodate that employee and rashly terminated him.....well apparantly, legally I can't compel an employee to purchase personal property as a term and condidion of employment....so sorry now we have this massive class-action suit on our hands....why didn't i just get him a phone in the first place? Why didn't you guys just get the proper MDM as well? Your all fired! (LOL) ;-)
    09-25-17 12:01 PM
    You're not suggesting that IT departments should spend money (and assume the risk of) supporting every single OS on the planet, are you??
    Yes.... I think he does.

Also think maybe his impression of the BlackBerry userbase still left in Enterprise is skewed somehow. He questioned my comments about iOS and Android being 98%.... I'll admit a margin of error of +/- 5%. But still even if BlackBerry had a 10% marketshare in Enterprise, most of those devices are being managed by BES. So not really much of a reason for other "UEM" suppliers adding compatibility back then. Now that there is no BB10 road-map for devices, updates or for 3rd party developers.... BB10 is basically an EOL product... and has been for almost two year.

He might not understand that most Device Management Solutions, don't even support all Android Devices or iOS devices. Each has a list of compatible devices.
    09-25-17 01:37 PM
    Yes.... I think he does.

Also think maybe his impression of the BlackBerry userbase still left in Enterprise is skewed somehow. He questioned my comments about iOS and Android being 98%.... I'll admit a margin of error of +/- 5%. But still even if BlackBerry had a 10% marketshare in Enterprise, most of those devices are being managed by BES. So not really much of a reason for other "UEM" suppliers adding compatibility back then. Now that there is no BB10 road-map for devices, updates or for 3rd party developers.... BB10 is basically an EOL product... and has been for almost two year.

He might not understand that most Device Management Solutions, don't even support all Android Devices or iOS devices. Each has a list of compatible devices.
    There is no way it's 10%, unless we're looking at some narrow industry or government segment inside Canada or something. At that point, it's a very small 10%.

Yes, I would think virtually all active BB10 corporate users are on BES.
    09-25-17 01:40 PM
    .....yes two device types are too small to really be called "BYOD" , "BOAconstricted " is more like it. Every basement built device type on the planet of course not....I thought I'd add what John Oliver may have touched upon in a tangential way recently though.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...070011787.html
    09-25-17 05:21 PM
    .....yes two device types are too small to really be called "BYOD" , "BOAconstricted " is more like it. Every basement built device type on the planet of course not....I thought I'd add what John Oliver may have touched upon in a tangential way recently though.

Well technically, android has thousands of different devices and even apple has a few devices.
    09-25-17 06:27 PM

So if it's not 2, and not every device, where would you draw the line?
    09-25-17 06:32 PM
    So if it's not 2, and not every device, where would you draw the line?
    I would stop at 10! lol
    09-25-17 07:16 PM
    Oh no! I wanted to use my Nokia N95 as my work device. If IT doesn't support Symbian, I'll report them to HR for discrimination. Grrrr!!
    09-26-17 12:07 AM

Mergers and take overs aren't why we have only two viable mobile operating systems....

Want to blame someone... it's hard to find one group to blame. Companies like BlackBerry and Microsoft are partly to blame as they pushed out inferior products way too late in the cycle. Too, developers should get some blame as their focuses on their own profits and work schedules led them to not supporting more than those two platforms. Users too are to blame, for not buying inferior "experiences" in order to prop up these other platforms.

Like it or not... there are only two platforms that matter in the US at this point. As no one else is even bothering to produce devices with other OS in the US anymore. Microsoft is pretty much done, BlackBerry move to Android two years ago.... So there is no reason for companies that specialize in software for MDM to support other platforms....

Personally I wish both Microsoft and BlackBerry had done better jobs and made it a four way race..... I think competition and choice are good things. But that's in the past now.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 09-26-17 at 07:39 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-26-17 07:28 AM
    Mergers and take overs aren't why we have only two viable mobile operating systems....

Want to blame someone... it's hard to find one group to blame. Companies like BlackBerry and Microsoft are partly to blame as they pushed out inferior products way too late in the cycle. Too, developers should get some blame as their focuses on their own profits and work schedules led them to not supporting more than those two platforms. Users too are to blame, for not buying inferior "experiences" in order to prop up these other platforms.

Like it or not... there are only two platforms that matter in the US at this point. As no one else is even bothering to produce devices with other OS in the US anymore. Microsoft is pretty much done, BlackBerry move to Android two years ago.... So there is no reason for companies that specialize in software for MDM to support other platforms....

Personally I wish both Microsoft and BlackBerry had done better jobs and made it a four way race..... I think competition and choice are good things. But that's in the past now.
    BlackBerry did screw themselves through arrogance by thinking they can ignore Apple and continue with their old fashioned OS. Had they pushed to develop a modern OS and beat Google to the market with BB10, honestly they could have had a chance to be in the position where Android is. But that wasn't what happened. They designed a decent (not great, there are still some great features in BBOS that never made it to BB10) OS, but without the app support it was pretty much doomed from the start...
    09-27-17 02:02 PM
    Except dandelion and burdock laced with a strong hint of blackberrry
    09-29-17 03:38 PM
    Except dandelion and burdock laced with a strong hint of blackberrry
    Most the time, my BlackBerry news feeds have info on BlackBerry Farms or recipes these days....
    10-04-17 01:53 PM

True Mergers and Aquisitions are not the reason we have only two operating systems in the smartphone space....however Google colluding with a cartel of competitors ( OHA- Open Handset Alliance) is. And that my friends looks like the classic intent of creating a monopoly in the marketplace -an anti-competitive practice that is classically and universally recognized in commerce circles for killing competition. Competitors co-operating to make this happen (along with the supply chain - independent app developers ) is the dead give away. BlackBerry with BB10 actually did a pretty good job as a classically competitive corporation . Its just that by then, the monopolistic characteristics of the marketplace were already well established with Android, and so it made the likelihood of BB10 establishing a significantly large presence, greatly diminished if not downright impossible right off the bat.
    10-31-17 02:13 AM
    True Mergers and Aquisitions are not the reason we have only two operating systems in the smartphone space....however Google colluding with a cartel of competitors ( OHA- Open Handset Alliance) is. And that my friends looks like the classic intent of creating a monopoly in the marketplace -an anti-competitive practice that is classically and universally recognized in commerce circles for killing competition. Competitors co-operating to make this happen (along with the supply chain - independent app developers ) is the dead give away. BlackBerry with BB10 actually did a pretty good job as a classically competitive corporation . Its just that by then, the monopolistic characteristics of the marketplace were already well established with Android, and so it made the likelihood of BB10 establishing a significantly large presence, greatly diminished if not downright impossible right off the bat.
    I doubt even BlackBerry itself believes it did a "good job" of staying competitive when it counted most.
    10-31-17 02:36 AM
    Sorry but Google onetime openness allowed BB10 to have the Android Runtime... without that, what would we have had?

Google didn't force BlackBerry to wait six years to release their new OS.
    Google didn't force them to push out a very buggy beta at launch.
    Google didn't force Developers to only want to support a minimum number of platforms.

BlackBerry and Microsoft couldn't compete... because they wasted too much time getting to a what had become mature market, with very immature products.

Simple truth is without BlackBerry's one time ace in the hole (BIS/BES)... they simply were not a competitive company.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    10-31-17 07:08 AM
    Maybe you should file a RICO suit. That’ll take down that evil OHA mafia cartel.
    10-31-17 09:30 AM
    Sorry but Google onetime openness allowed BB10 to have the Android Runtime... without that, what would we have had?

Google didn't force BlackBerry to wait six years to release their new OS.
    Google didn't force them to push out a very buggy beta at launch.
    Google didn't force Developers to only want to support a minimum number of platforms.

BlackBerry and Microsoft couldn't compete... because they wasted too much time getting to a what had become mature market, with very immature products.

Simple truth is without BlackBerry's one time ace in the hole (BIS/BES)... they simply were not a competitive company.
    James Cagney as the Gangsta....black and white film:
    Gangsta Google .: Boyz youz guyz is alwayz fighin and competin. I got a betta idea. Lets stop the gang war goin on...all its doin is cuttin into all your profits see and is only benefiting the customers. You goin to let those bozo customers run the show....hell no. Lets work together...you buy my stuff and I'll take care of all of ya...you know all nice and unda the table.. cooperate..Sammy you get the eastside, Moto you take the downtown zone.... sonny, ah sonny you get the coast, Genreral Hurray-Wei you get chinatown..Youz guyz know that that no-good Apple Gang come outta nowhere and is pickin off BlackBerry one berry at a time....the waze I sees it, is Mr Big Blackberry will be too buzy buildin his foot-soldiers skillz to even payz any attentionz to us. Then we squeeze 'im hard, I mean like really hard....nobody's goin to supply him, and 'ees going to choke or eventually come to us for a job....once we black and blued 'im ,sure we'll throw 'im a bone....cause we'll be in the penthouse and he'll be practically lyin in the street all bloodied up see. Besides I really don't like him, he's got all the quality that's goin to wipe us out if we don't do sumtin fast... always doin business with the hoity toity and the g-men, sellin his wares there. But we gotta sweep 'im off the street quick though.... cause the Feds might be embarassed into doin something bout our little racket here...you know outcry from those customers and all.
    10-31-17 01:15 PM
44 12