Hi All,

I was extremely excited when I bought my second blackberry phone 'The Awesome 'Blackberry Passport' from Amazon on August 30, 2017, after a gap of good 4 years, earlier I had BlackBerry Curve. But much my surprise and disappointment my IT team very bluntly said that they don't support Blackberry Devices, and only Android and ios are supported, I spoke to the Head here and he then asked the team to do the testing on BlackBerry device, but later they said NO again. This is really disheartening but am still using it and will always use this Device cos it really awesome.

I don't know how you guys can help but I thought share my story cos may be others may start to feel the heat

Posted from my beautiful BlackBerry Passport

Posted via CB10
    09-23-17 09:41 AM
    BB10 is a dead OS. Probably the main reason why IT can't/won't support it.
    You should've inquired with them first before purchasing your Passport and attempting to use it as a work phone.
    Just buy a basic Android phone and use that for work. Passport will become your personal/private phone.
    glwerry likes this.
    09-23-17 10:32 AM
    Hi All,

I was extremely excited when I bought my second blackberry phone 'The Awesome 'Blackberry Passport' from Amazon on August 30, 2017, after a gap of good 4 years, earlier I had BlackBerry Curve. But much my surprise and disappointment my IT team very bluntly said that they don't support Blackberry Devices, and only Android and ios are supported, I spoke to the Head here and he then asked the team to do the testing on BlackBerry device, but later they said NO again. This is really disheartening but am still using it and will always use this Device cos it really awesome.

I don't know how you guys can help but I thought share my story cos may be others may start to feel the heat

Posted via CB10
    This is very common unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-17 11:47 AM
    Simple question would be to ask "why" ?

The answer, I suppose, would depend on in what way your device would interact within this company's system. What is there to "test"?

If it's simply to tie into their e-mail system, what's the problem? If it's an Exchange-based account, then they don't even need to know it's a BlackBerry. Just ask for the log-in information and plug it into your phone yourself. BB10 acts like any android or iOS device in that regard.

If it's more than that - VPN, or similar - that's where you might find issues.
    09-23-17 12:56 PM
    Tell them you can't work efficiently without a BlackBerry and that productivity will suffer.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-17 01:51 PM
    You said they were asked to test on BB10 and then later they said no again. What was the reason given the second time? It may not be possible given the systems/software that your company uses and their specific security requirements.
    09-23-17 03:52 PM
    Most MDM don’t support BB10 because blackberry only allows BB10 on BES.

If you have to ask your IT to connect your device then I guess it’s not just exchange based.

You’re out of luck. Lots of corporations don’t even allow Android BB
    09-23-17 05:58 PM
    I was in the same boat as the OP as my company put the big no no on BB10 at the end of December, 2015 (exchange accounts blocked as well).

Thankfully the PRIV was just released so I was able to stick with BlackBerry since iOS and Android for Work were the only supported platform.

I went through my grieving (and tantrum) period over the death of BB10 but am kind of glad my company's IT policy pushed me to Android. It's kept BlackBerry alive for me and it's nice to have whatever apps I need without having to sideload apks or any other type of jerry rigging.

There is new life breathed into BlackBerry with the KEYone and upcoming Krypton. It's great to be discussing new BBs as we head into 2018. Something that seemed impossible in 2014 when the company was hanging by a thread.
    09-23-17 08:35 PM

If you have to ask your IT to connect your device then I guess it’s not just exchange based.

You quite right, the IT guy who was asked to do the testing told me that even for BlackBerry KeyOne they can't comment without testing, that's soo weird considering that KeyOne is on Android.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-17 05:47 AM
    Simple question would be to ask "why" ?

The answer, I suppose, would depend on in what way your device would interact within this company's system. What is there to "test"?

If it's simply to tie into their e-mail system, what's the problem? If it's an Exchange-based account, then they don't even need to know it's a BlackBerry. Just ask for the log-in information and plug it into your phone yourself. BB10 acts like any android or iOS device in that regard.

If it's more than that - VPN, or similar - that's where you might find issues.
    Can you tell me how I would want to try once pls , before surrendering and going back to some cheap glassy android phone.. I would want to give it a try...
    Also, I would want to understand why BlackBerry OS is a challenge for the companies, considering its the safest os on the planet why they would want to keep it out

Posted via CB10
    09-24-17 05:52 AM
    I was in the same boat as the OP as my company put the big no no on BB10 at the end of December, 2015 (exchange accounts blocked as well).

Thankfully the PRIV was just released so I was able to stick with BlackBerry since iOS and Android for Work were the only supported platform.

I went through my grieving (and tantrum) period over the death of BB10 but am kind of glad my company's IT policy pushed me to Android. It's kept BlackBerry alive for me and it's nice to have whatever apps I need without having to sideload apks or any other type of jerry rigging.

There is new life breathed into BlackBerry with the KEYone and upcoming Krypton. It's great to be discussing new BBs as we head into 2018. Something that seemed impossible in 2014 when the company was hanging by a thread.
    Friend, but you know the reason I bought this phone? It's cos of the love I developed for BlackBerry OS while I reviewed various forums, you won't believe the bully that I face from colleague's at work, but I just don't care
    Using this phone is dream for me , I would however want to consider Krypton if that gives me bb10 os kinda experience

Posted via CB10
    09-24-17 06:03 AM

You right mate, but am just in love with this phone wish I don't have to give it up this early

Posted via CB10
    09-24-17 06:05 AM
    BB10 is a dead OS. Probably the main reason why IT can't/won't support it.
    You should've inquired with them first before purchasing your Passport and attempting to use it as a work phone.
    Just buy a basic Android phone and use that for work. Passport will become your personal/private phone.
    That was my bad, I had no reason to even believe that this could happen,
    You right I should have inquired first, the policy change unfortunately Is very recent earlier they were supporting these devices

Posted via CB10
    09-24-17 06:21 AM
    Can you tell me how I would want to try once pls , before surrendering and going back to some cheap glassy android phone.. I would want to give it a try...
    Also, I would want to understand why BlackBerry OS is a challenge for the companies, considering its the safest os on the planet why they would want to keep it out

Posted via CB10
    Settings -> Accounts -> Add Account
    09-24-17 06:49 AM
    That was my bad, I had no reason to even believe that this could happen,
    You right I should have inquired first, the policy change unfortunately Is very recent earlier they were supporting these devices

Posted via CB10
    Earlier... BlackBerry was supporting them too.
    09-25-17 07:02 AM
    Hi All,

Posted via CB10
    Sell it and get the KEYone? Best of both worlds: awesome physical keyboard and battery life, and the most secure Android OS money can buy.

I too owned the Passport and agree it was a great device. But if you've got the bread the KEYone is worth the extra premium and it solves your issue.
    09-25-17 07:10 AM
    It seems that your i t guys are a bunch of idiots if they are securing other Android devices they can secure BlackBerry Android with no problem whatsoever with Google for work and Microsoft Office 365 these accounts can both secure any Android device
    09-25-17 07:13 AM
    I went through something similar. I got my Z30 a few years ago and we transitioned fully to company provided iPhones. Luckily for me, we have one person in a 10,000 person enterprise that maintains a BlackBerry server so 7 of us could maintain a BlackBerry device. I knew then it was time to look for something else. Again, as luck would have it, the PRIV came along and now I can use BlackBerry Androids under the BYOD program.

Unfortunately, you probably will have to follow this same path unless you have someone unofficially maintaining a BlackBerry server for you and whoever else still wants to use BB10.
    09-25-17 07:42 AM
    It seems that your i t guys are a bunch of idiots if they are securing other Android devices they can secure BlackBerry Android with no problem whatsoever with Google for work and Microsoft Office 365 these accounts can both secure any Android device
    Sorry but some Device Management System do not support BB10.... simply never was enough of a userbase to require it. And for some companies there is more to supporting BYOD, than just connection to email accounts. They want to know they have permissions to delete those accounts if they need to, or maybe even other security concerns that BB10 doesn't allow none BES management systems to do. Maybe if BB10 development hadn't died in 2014, then BlackBerry would have been able to widen out their support for other "systems"....
    09-25-17 09:53 AM
    So there you have it. BYOD is not really BYOD in that particular company....tell them to buy you a "Company" phone then, and that you are keeping the Passport thank you very much. Gotta love the information technology buzzwords...never quite there. (Correct me I'm wrong...but doesn't BlackBerry still support bb10 devices on its verson of Enterprise BYOD software? With its workspace and private space split on the actual phone)
    09-25-17 10:26 AM
    Sorry but some Device Management System do not support BB10.... simply never was enough of a userbase to require it. And for some companies there is more to supporting BYOD, than just connection to email accounts. They want to know they have permissions to delete those accounts if they need to, or maybe even other security concerns that BB10 doesn't allow none BES management systems to do. Maybe if BB10 development hadn't died in 2014, then BlackBerry would have been able to widen out their support for other "systems"....
    If they support Samsung Knox through its management system guess what BB10 is supported and so is BlackBerry Android.
    BlackBerry uem is even prefered by the Samsung Knox team and if they are in business with government agencies BlackBerry uem is the way to go

So there you have it. BYOD is not really BYOD in that particular company....tell them to buy you a "Company" phone then, and that you are keeping the Passport thank you very much. Gotta love the information technology buzzwords...never quite there. (Correct me I'm wrong...but doesn't BlackBerry still support bb10 devices on its verson of Enterprise BYOD software? With its workspace and private space split on the actual phone)
    09-25-17 10:31 AM
    Yes they still support it for now.... Whole reason BlackBerry bought Good was how poorly BES supported iOS and Android.

Percentages... that's what it has always been about. Most everyone is going to support iOS and Android, because at this point that is 98% of users. Combined BB10, BBOS, Windows, Sailfish, Tizen, Firefox and a half dozen others, don't amount to more than 2% of current smartphone.

Now if the OP feels that strongly... sure force the issue and quite and go find another job because of some $200 (current Amazon value) phone from 2014, that even the manufacture is no longer supporting.
    09-25-17 10:38 AM
    Nope....vendor sold them on BYOD...so this is the Device this Employee is Bringing to work. Company has to figure that out, or their vendor. Not the employee. Golly lee gosh...now you know I don't know nothin about this tick-knowledgy stuff, and i'm locked into a 2year plan with my passport and I gotta have it and nothin else for my personal use (the reasons are personal) ....BECAUSE IT IS MY PERSONAL PHONE....how are you going to help me out here boss-man?
    09-25-17 11:01 AM
    Nope....vendor sold them on BYOD...so this is the Device this Employee is Bringing to work. Company has to figure that out, or their vendor. Not the employee. Golly lee gosh...now you know I don't know nothin about this tick-knowledgy stuff, and i'm locked into a 2year plan with my passport and I gotta have it and nothin else for my personal use (the reasons are personal) ....BECAUSE IT IS MY PERSONAL PHONE....how are you going to help me out here boss-man?
    Boss-man to you: "Mr Void, we appreciate what you have done for us, but IT says you refuse to corporate with them for personal reasons. Sorry but the decision has been made to let you go."

Boss-man to IT: "Guy's I finally got rid of that uncooperative Mr. Void who has been going on and one about support BlackBerry. Got a new guy fresh out of graduate school coming in for half what he was costing us."
    09-25-17 11:39 AM
    Percentages... Most everyone is going to support iOS and Android, because at this point that is 98% of users. Combined BB10, BBOS, Windows, Sailfish, Tizen, Firefox and a half dozen others, don't amount to more than 2% of current smartphone.
    WHoa a moment, hold your horses....not sure anyone knows the real-percentages.especially in the workplace (different from consumer space)...and WOW! I didn't know all those consumer Iphones and Androids were all secretly on someones MDM (BYOD)! Wikileaks doesn't know anything about this yet?....and crack open Microsoft Word or even that still around Corel Wordperfect...how many different file formats do they still support? BYOD isn't really, if it can only manage 2 phone types....it should be called "BOA constricted" ...bring our approved constricted devices.
    09-25-17 11:40 AM
44 12