I use their app every single day and night on both the Z10 and on the Playbook. My family uses it just as often. But they don't support it on BBW like they do on android. Which is why I think this is more Amazon outlawing it than LifeChurch.tv ticking the check boxes on device compatibilities. I use the Amazon version on my Z10 and a sideloaded working version on the Playbook. The BBW version just isn't as good as android and no update appears to be coming.
    As you know, the issue with YV is limited resources, and judicious use of said limited resources.

I can say the port-a-thons had a huge drawback with regards to continued support.

Netflix didn't seem so crazy for asking for upfront costs now IMHO.
    03-09-15 01:43 PM
    The "zero work" fallacy has been repeated so much it has become conventional wisdom here.
    I think what the poster meant was that nothing had to be done to the app in Amazon app store to make it compatible with 10.2.1 or 10.3.1 devices. Agreed however that devs do have to work to fit their apps to many devices. Terraria might not be the greatest aspect ratio for the Z10, but it worked and my kids played it. Now it's gone from the cloud.
    Ay sini likes this.
    03-09-15 01:43 PM
    As you know, the issue with YV is limited resources, and judicious use of said limited resources.

I can say the port-a-thons had a huge drawback with regards to continued support.

Netflix didn't seem so crazy for asking for upfront costs now IMHO.
    I truly love those workers at LifeChurch.tv for what they have done for us with YouVersion. This app has actually changed my life as well as the lives of many others. My kid gets up at 5am with me to read it together and follow their yealy reading plan! Just wish it was still available on Amazon app store for our beloved Z10s...
    john_v likes this.
    03-09-15 01:47 PM
    Meh. Maybe it changed at some point but that was the case before 10.3.1 went official. I haven't checked since then, so I'll take your word for it. It's all rather stupid to me and makes no sense.. it's why the Amazon Appstore isn't even a viable solution for me. Snap and other resources are much better. Amazon is just another hit or miss fix among several.
    Some apps from Snap dont work from Snap but they do work from Amazon. Like Tinder (I even tried to patch it as per cobalt method but no joy). So I think Amazon without requiring Google services should be our way out from the apps situation but looks like BlackBerry users get outcasted even there.
    03-09-15 02:10 PM
    I think what the poster meant was that nothing had to be done to the app in Amazon app store to make it compatible with 10.2.1 or 10.3.1 devices. Agreed however that devs do have to work to fit their apps to many devices. Terraria might not be the greatest aspect ratio for the Z10, but it worked and my kids played it. Now it's gone from the cloud.
    Thanks jcbrunson, thats exactly what I meant. Even though a lot of apps in the Amazon store have conflicting aspect ratios with the Q10,Q5 and Passport 9SOMETIMES Z10), at least, most of the apps worked decently without extra efforts from the Amazon devs and getting the apps were very easy for BB users too .But to totally prevent BBs from having access? I don't get it.
    03-09-15 02:17 PM
    All sides and all fronts are against us.... with Snap, Amazon App store and BBW I have pretty much all except of Google Play services Apps.

I still hate it that I cannot use my Prime account to watch films on BlackBerry. Prime and Neflix combined would kick ***....

The main reason for piracy are just the hoops and hurdles we need to jump through to pay for something we can have easily elsewhere....

KazAa and eMule were just there to fill a gap that still is open....

Nowadays you have streaming sites and direkt Links to files on Google Drive, Mega and others.

The whole IT situation regarding Cloud is just a sad Joke at best.

Geofencing can be easily circumvented and is just a lip service to global availability.....

JC is a great man for having demanded App neutrality and is leading the way.
    I understand that it takes time and effort to support an app on several stores as well as catering to a hughe variety of devices.

Apple, Windows, as well as even BlackBerry have taken the right route, preventing massive fragmentation as it is now prevalent with Android....

It just reminds me more and more of the sad state of Linux Distros, where you have SOB just repackaging the files to be able to install them easily for all different flavours.

There should be an underlying framework for all ARM devices and X86...

Is there really soo much different between the BlackBerry, iPhone, Windows and Android Candybar device?

The UI specific language is one part.... but would it be Soooo bad to have apps look consistent throughout the ecosystems?

We are OK with the Android UI and have bigger fish to fry than complain about that....

I guess that only time will tell what the future holds....

Windows 10 around the corner unifying their ecosystem, Linux getting the Distro problem in check....

All that will be left is android....

Hopefully we will gain some of common ground, allowing us to become the Keyboard niche of a great ecosystem....

Posted via CB10
    gritsinct and JosevuN3 like this.
    03-09-15 02:46 PM
    I wish i knew what BB had to say about this matter...
    03-09-15 02:48 PM
    I wish i knew what BB had to say about this matter...
    I know what they have to say....
    List of "Incompatible" Amazon Apps is Growing...-monica-amp-039-s-house_o_2870925.jpg

Posted via CB10
    fcsmyth likes this.
    03-09-15 02:57 PM
    I have said it before and I will say it again. The Android Runtime isn't a solution for the App problem, it is a temporary fix. If consumers and developers look at it as a solution it will only make the actual problem even worse. The problem being that there is a lack of support for the BB10 platform. It's like taking a bunch of pain meds to cure your hurt back. The pain goes away and you feel better but instead of resting and letting it heal you're out running around making it worse.

The Amazon App store only makes the issue worse. As consumers we look at it and say "the app gap is fixed" instead of putting continuing pressure on BlackBerry to pursue further developer relations. Developers (and BlackBerry) look at it and say we don't need to pursue BB development consumers can just use that app we threw up on that other app store. We all blindly refuse to look at it in enough depth to realize that both of these cases are destructive to the platform. I've seen the sentiment on here all to often, the app issue is fixed, when in reality its slowly sliding into an even worse situation.

If a developer, whomever it maybe, doesn't want to support BlackBerry it doesn't make any difference how many plausible avenues we have to get that app. It's not just as simple as uploading the app to a store and being done with it, you have to provide support to people who have problems with the app or you run the risk of complaints and bad reviews. For a company like Netflix there would need to be an investment made into creating a system and procedures for their support personnel to follow. When people with unsupported platforms start contacting them with issues it is a lot easier (probably should read cheaper) to say we don't support that. If that is the case they can't have you downloading it from an app store as if you have a supported device. Inevitably, it is currently in Netflix's interest to block the downloading of their app on to BB devices. If we happen to find a way to get the app so be it, they can still say it's an unsupported platform and they don't have to provide any assistance if there happens to be a problem. You can't refuse assistant in the same way if someone has legitimately downloaded the app for a supported platform. On the other hand if it's a small developer all this might make no difference to them, but for the large developers it can be a large problem. Then there is the odd situation where it appears some developers just haven't caught on and removed BB devices as being supported (Tinder is an example).

This leaves us all in a situation where we can be easily ignored or brushed off to the side. Consumers that are as tech savvy as most Crackbarrians have found solutions for most of the apps they need and can be ignored as having what we want. Developers can say the app is available on Amazon. BlackBerry can say you have the Runtime just get it from Amazon. The less savvy consumers know no difference or just jump platforms. None of this truly helps us. None of this encourages proper development. None of this ensures those apps are actually available to use and properly supported. Inevitably, BB ignoring developer relations is doing more harm than good.
    03-09-15 02:59 PM
    As much fun as the native app debate is, the current app solution per BlackBerry is Amazon plus BBW. Sadly we've been debating this since the arrival of BB10. Personally the 10.3.1 update makes me app happy as long as I can get what I need from Amazon. Hence the displeasure and the thread.
    03-09-15 04:21 PM
    I have said it before and I will say it again. The Android Runtime isn't a solution for the App problem, it is a temporary fix. If consumers and developers look at it as a solution it will only make the actual problem even worse. The problem being that there is a lack of support for the BB10 platform. It's like taking a bunch of pain meds to cure your hurt back. The pain goes away and you feel better but instead of resting and letting it heal you're out running around making it worse.

The Amazon App store only makes the issue worse. As consumers we look at it and say "the app gap is fixed" instead of putting continuing pressure on BlackBerry to pursue further developer relations. Developers (and BlackBerry) look at it and say we don't need to pursue BB development consumers can just use that app we threw up on that other app store. We all blindly refuse to look at it in enough depth to realize that both of these cases are destructive to the platform. I've seen the sentiment on here all to often, the app issue is fixed, when in reality its slowly sliding into an even worse situation.

If a developer, whomever it maybe, doesn't want to support BlackBerry it doesn't make any difference how many plausible avenues we have to get that app. It's not just as simple as uploading the app to a store and being done with it, you have to provide support to people who have problems with the app or you run the risk of complaints and bad reviews. For a company like Netflix there would need to be an investment made into creating a system and procedures for their support personnel to follow. When people with unsupported platforms start contacting them with issues it is a lot easier (probably should read cheaper) to say we don't support that. If that is the case they can't have you downloading it from an app store as if you have a supported device. Inevitably, it is currently in Netflix's interest to block the downloading of their app on to BB devices. If we happen to find a way to get the app so be it, they can still say it's an unsupported platform and they don't have to provide any assistance if there happens to be a problem. You can't refuse assistant in the same way if someone has legitimately downloaded the app for a supported platform. On the other hand if it's a small developer all this might make no difference to them, but for the large developers it can be a large problem. Then there is the odd situation where it appears some developers just haven't caught on and removed BB devices as being supported (Tinder is an example).

This leaves us all in a situation where we can be easily ignored or brushed off to the side. Consumers that are as tech savvy as most Crackbarrians have found solutions for most of the apps they need and can be ignored as having what we want. Developers can say the app is available on Amazon. BlackBerry can say you have the Runtime just get it from Amazon. The less savvy consumers know no difference or just jump platforms. None of this truly helps us. None of this encourages proper development. None of this ensures those apps are actually available to use and properly supported. Inevitably, BB ignoring developer relations is doing more harm than good.
    I somehow agree with you on this but the question is HOW DOES BB MAINTAIN A GOOD DEVELOPER RELATIONS?
    I don't think they ignored the developers. I think they tried to carry them along but the poor release of BB10 and the consequent disastrous sales of the BB10 phones dissuaded the developers. Nothing BB did after then (port-a-ton, several developer Jam conferences, improvement of android run-time from ginger-bread to 4.2 to ensure smoother running of ported apps, e.t.c) could really get them back to support the BB10 platform, especially the bigger ones who were already committed to android and iOS. I don not think there is any other way to woo these devs again except for BB to boost sales and increase market share considerably, which we know won't happen without the apps. Seriously, if I were BB now I would be confused.
    03-09-15 04:33 PM
    This is what drove me, in the end, to give up my Z10. The BB10 runtime was always playing 'catch up' (or whatever other reason), and I was always running into hitches where things wouldn't run. Got tired of doing workarounds all the time.

I still keep up on what goes on in Blackberry-land, but I'll never buy another one of their devices until they go full-Android and stop this 'half-baked' effort.
    JosevuN3 likes this.
    03-09-15 04:36 PM
    This is what drove me, in the end, to give up my Z10. The BB10 runtime was always playing 'catch up' (or whatever other reason), and I was always running into hitches where things wouldn't run. Got tired of doing workarounds all the time.

I still keep up on what goes on in Blackberry-land, but I'll never buy another one of their devices until they go full-Android and stop this 'half-baked' effort.
    Well, at least you're honest about it. Truth is, there is a lot to be said about the point you make. As much as I like my gesture based OS, I'd rather have the BlackBerry security and communication capabilities on a platform where I don't have to fret.
    03-09-15 05:42 PM
    I guess the real question is, "why they are doing this"? I certainly don't know, because the apps from your list I've tried work just fine.
    I suspect in many cases it's simply the developer doesn't want to waste QA cycles doing a test. Though I'm starting to think with Netflix, it's something else.

I complained that they took away the app which worked fine and was available through a legit channel. I got the usual Netflix response of "we're waiting for BlackBerry to go into partnership with us and they are the ones holding it back."

I then called "BS", saying "The app, as is works fine. I've been using it for a year and not had issues. Not sure why you need BlackBerry at all for anything".

I *suspect* it's because Netflix wants BlackBerry to pay them. For the app, for use of their bandwidth, for the Netflix name, for support tickets they receive". And without BlackBerry paying them, they aren't interested in the app being available.

In the end, I got a pirate version, though this was not my preference. And yes, it works just like it did before.
    03-09-15 06:02 PM
    Aralon became "incompatible" for me when I was on 10.2.1 - Q10. It remains this way on 10.3.1.

It was flagged after I updated the Amazon Appstore.

emPowered by 
    03-09-15 06:21 PM
    This is absolutely ridiculous. The whole point of the Amazon partnership has now gone to he!! in a hand basket.
    03-09-15 06:53 PM
    Amazon Prime Music and Bejeweled 2 run great on my Z30.
    03-09-15 07:22 PM
    Aralon became "incompatible" for me when I was on 10.2.1 - Q10. It remains this way on 10.3.1.

It was flagged after I updated the Amazon Appstore.
    Aralon: Sword and Shadow is added to the list.
    03-09-15 07:28 PM
    Amazon Prime Music and Bejeweled 2 run great on my Z30.
    Runs great on both my Z10s and Z30 too. But it is now "incompatible". Thanks for pointing out the real joke for us all: the Amazon music and video apps being outlawed for BB devices. "Yes we will provide music and vids instead of BBW, but no you can't have the apps to run music and vids". Are we this pathetic now?
    Last edited by jcbrunson; 03-09-15 at 07:35 PM. Reason: ***make it clearer***
    03-09-15 07:31 PM
    Some apps from Snap dont work from Snap but they do work from Amazon. Like Tinder (I even tried to patch it as per cobalt method but no joy). So I think Amazon without requiring Google services should be our way out from the apps situation but looks like BlackBerry users get outcasted even there.
    Agree, there are several amazon versions that work better than snap. Also, paid apps are much easier to purchase/manage, as they are stored within my amazon account.

 Posted via Z10 
    03-09-15 07:42 PM
    Agree, there are several amazon versions that work better than snap. Also, paid apps are much easier to purchase/manage, as they are stored within my amazon account.
    Again my advice to you is backup, backup, backup those APKs. TODAY they are stored within your Amazon account... who knows what tomorrow will bring.
    03-09-15 07:47 PM
    As much fun as the native app debate is, the current app solution per BlackBerry is Amazon plus BBW. Sadly we've been debating this since the arrival of BB10. Personally the 10.3.1 update makes me app happy as long as I can get what I need from Amazon. Hence the displeasure and the thread.
    You are missing the underlining point I was trying to make. The current app solution of Amazon plus BBW does not mean we will get what we want. You started this thread because you have noticed that developers are either removing support or not supporting BlackBerry devices in the first place. No matter how many app stores we have the developer still has the ability to withdraw BlackBerry from the list of supported apps.

I somehow agree with you on this but the question is HOW DOES BB MAINTAIN A GOOD DEVELOPER RELATIONS? I don't think they ignored the developers. I think they tried to carry them along but the poor release of BB10 and the consequent disastrous sales of the BB10 phones dissuaded the developers. Nothing BB did after then (port-a-ton, several developer Jam conferences, improvement of android run-time from ginger-bread to 4.2 to ensure smoother running of ported apps, e.t.c) could really get them back to support the BB10 platform, especially the bigger ones who were already committed to android and iOS. I don not think there is any other way to woo these devs again except for BB to boost sales and increase market share considerably, which we know won't happen without the apps. Seriously, if I were BB now I would be confused.
    I don't purport to have a solution that will suddenly bring all the apps in, but I'll tell you what withdrawing all developer relations isn't the solution. It's a rather large problem.

You want apps, regardless of where they come from, so who is out there encouraging the developers to support BlackBerry? BlackBerry turned to Amazon for their consumer apps and substantially downsized their developer relationships team, as I understand. Is Amazon the one who is talking to developers and encouraging BlackBerry support, it doesn't seem so and I don't see how they would be incentivized to. Amazon might have great developer relations and programs but what exactly are they doing to encourage developers to support BlackBerry devices.

Do you see what I was getting at now? Regardless of other factors a situation has been created where it is too easy for everyone to wipe their hands and point the finger elsewhere. In the end BlackBerry doesn't get any real attention.
    03-09-15 08:02 PM
    ...Bejeweled 2 run great on my Z30.
    Just curious...what does the Android version give that the one in BBW does not?

emPowered by 
    03-09-15 08:13 PM
    Just download and install mobogenie off the net if you don't want to sideload Snap. It still has all these apps available.

PaulJ
    03-09-15 09:38 PM
    I do not use Amazon store. I sideboard Google store and I get my apps from there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-09-15 10:08 PM
222 12345 ...