Hi folks,

I was replying to a post in another thread about a Torch-like BB10 device and wanted to share my idea for what I think would be the best approach.

I think a case could be made with a keyboard/trackpad akin to the Blackberry Playbook keyboard case, connected via Bluetooth to the Z10. It could either "slide" or "flip" out.

The same case could also have a battery for extra juicing that could allow you to charge your Z10 on the go with a little USB cable that pops out of it.

This way, people who want a big screen and keyboard could just mod their Z10. Blackberry need not commit another production line... Just make as many Z10 as possible. Let OEM community made a case mod and people can choose to use it or not.

Who would like to see such a case made available?

I have the entire design in my head and just need some help from someone on the forums who can do a CAD drawing and render job... Can someone help me if I sketch it up? It would be really cool.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    02-17-13 11:13 AM
    ... Sorry almost forgot...

In fact, you can do without the case and make a modified battery door backing on the Z10 with extra thickness that you snap on (instead of the thin battery door) that contains a keyboard and battery in it.

02-17-13 11:20 AM
    I can take a look at your sketches. Here is a link to a past render I have done for crackberry Two New DreamBerry BlackBerry 11 Slider Concepts Emerge! | CrackBerry.com
    I got some free time these days. If its not too complex maybe I can help you out
    02-17-13 11:26 AM
    Hi ummie4,

Very nice renders! I hope to get some sketches posted maybe later tonight.

The first idea is to make a "backing" that instead of the Z10 battery door, would have a keyboard and battery and small USB pull-out cable and would have a sliding mechanism similar to the Torch.

Imagine the Torch "back half" with the front half being a Z10 instead of the Torch screen. Since the Torch only sides half way open, the bottom half of the mod-backing would be a keyboard, middle part would contain a short USB cable and micro-USB plug which fits sideways across, which you can flick out and plug into the side of the Z10 (for on the go charging) and top half would contain a battery that powers also the bluetooth keyboard.

The mod-case could also have it's own USB port for charging the battery, and for "pass through" charging so you could plug the mod case USB cable into the Z10, and it would charge both the mod-case and the Z10 at the same time (like the Crackberry Z10 battery pack).

Of course it would make your Z10 a bit thicker but it would add more power and a physical keyboard. Best part is if you don't want it, you just swap out your battery door with the original and you have your regular Z10 again.

I'm excited! Hope to get you some sketches by tonight... posted here.

02-17-13 11:50 AM
    I am kinda following what you are saying. The sketches will def. help. I will keep an eye on this thread. As a starting point I will need to model the z10. Can you find any pictures of the z10 showing some dimensions?
    02-17-13 11:57 AM
    I've managed to add some attachments, sorry I am not able to get higher resolution uploaded from my phone. I think it should still be readable. I can send more as needed and we can refine things.

You can see the backing that attaches to the Z10 has a sliding mechanism so the mod back sides out revealing the keyboard. Middle part of back has a flat USB cable and micro USB plug male that tucks in or flips out to plug into side of Z10 for charging on the go. There is also a female USB plug on mod back to charge the battery and also you can chain them to charge both Z10 and mod back at same time.

The BT keyboard powered by the battery in the mod back. The stowable flat USB cable will be in a position and length that will allow the slider to open and close freely while still plugged into Z10 without pulling it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Keyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130217-01849.jpg   Keyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130217-01847.jpg  
    toosweetnitemare and pttptppt like this.
    02-17-13 12:41 PM
    The idea here is that you don't need a case. The back battery door of the Z10 can be swapped for this power-user backing.

Alternatively, you can make a case do the same thing but it will be more bulky.

I'll look for some specs on the Z10... Maybe some forum members here have links or from someone who I saw posted a Z10 render a while back.

*** UPDATE:

Here are some spec links:

http://m.gsmarena.com/blackberry_z10-5251.php

There should be photos of the front and sides of the phone to measure where to put the buttons, cameras, USB and HDMI ports and speaker meshes, and also to know the screen bezel distance to top and bottom, logo placement and the roundness radius of the corners.

As far as the back "mod" thickness and sliding mechanism thickness, your guess is as good as mine. It would have to be at least as thick as a micro USB port on the side..and a battery on the side... but no thicker than a Z10 thickness at most... hopefully thinner the better.
    Last edited by edyb; 02-17-13 at 01:17 PM.
    02-17-13 12:46 PM
    I will upload some side sketches as well, and "exploded" views if I can. Excuse the quality of my drawings, I am just doing it rough to get the overall idea.

02-17-13 03:33 PM
    These will work. Yes a side view will be helpful. I'm not gonna worry about how the slide mechanism will work, it will be more like an artistic representation than detailed plans. I can do an exploded view as well no prob.
    02-17-13 07:50 PM
    I have attached a side view. Basically, the back-cover for the Z10 is now replaced with the modified back cover that incorporates a sliding battery-keyboard combination. The back cover attached to the Z10 stays fixed to the Z10 but since it has some kind of pin/spring/track that is connect to the rest of the back that provides the sliding mechanism of the rest of the back.

I've taken apart a Torch and you can see on Youtube videos that the plates/track and springs can be made very thin. So it is not going to add any thickness to the backing as far as I can tell.

Ok so the bottom part is a keyboard. It can be made to look like the Porsche keyboard with buttons all the way to the edge and square looking. On the side of the sliding back in the middle is a micro USB that will allow charing the extender battery which is in the top part of the backing.

As in the previous sketches, a short USB cord and male plug can be stowed across the middle part of the back. When needed it is flicked out and bent around to plug into the side of the Z10 to charge it. You can also leave it attached when charging the back mod and that will charge both the back and the phone.

From an engineering standpoint, the one concern I have is how strongly the back plate battery cover attaches to the Z10. If it is fairly firmly attached then it will tolerate the repeated sliding and also any torque applied to the keyboard when used. Otherwise a case cover mod would be needed to hold onto the Z10 more tightly. But I like using a back-plate replacement because it will look slim and have an awesome feel.
    Attached Thumbnails Keyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130217-01853.jpg  
    02-17-13 10:07 PM
    My sketch shows it almost as thick as the phone but I think it has to be made thin as possible, basically the size of a micro USB port (maybe 4-5mm). Whether or not it could actually be built that thin is another story, but it would look nice. I know Crackberry Kevin would say he doesn't care if the phone is thicker if he gets better battery life.
    02-17-13 10:14 PM
    I think people who think physical keyboards are necessary should seriously give the z10 keyboard a try. Because I used to be one of them!

Cool concepts though!

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 10:38 PM
    I've attached some photos of a stow-away USB cable/male plugbthat I have on another portable charger. You can see how it neatly tucks into a groove and the plug sits in a recess.

I was envisioning the same idea for the mod-back where a single width span across of cable along the back of the Z10 like in the attached photo, and plug laying into a slot so it is flush with the back when not in use. This should be long enough to connect to the Z10 no matter what slider position it is in. If not, then a double length (across the back twice in a U-shape loop) would do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Keyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130217-01854.jpg   Keyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130217-01855.jpg   Keyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130217-01856.jpg   Keyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130217-01857.jpg  
    02-17-13 10:56 PM
    Yes I agree the Z10 all-touch keyboard is awesome, even with no physical keyboard.

This concept design is more about whether an elegant extended battery option along with a bluetooth keyboard could be implemented easily (without making an entirely new phone) for some hardcore users in a way that would not add significant bulk to the Z10 or make it look too strange, and without having to carry around multiple pieces of equipment. It is a neat exercise and maybe who knows if somebody at Blackberry might actually think it could eventually be produced as an accessory. I know some people are waiting on the Q10 for the keys but I prefer the larger screen on the Z10.

I think ummie4 is going to come up with some awesome 3D renders either way and they may create a buzz. The engineering is definitely possble as I've seen tiny bluetooth keyboards (which pair nicely with Playbook and other tablets), external flat battery packs and battery charging circuitry which should all fit nicely in a thin package the size of a Z10 but thinner, that could piggy-back along with the sliding plate spring mechanism of the Torch to display a keyboard when needed.

It could even have a sensor contact to know when the slider is out/in to turn on or off the bluetooth for power saving, like other BT accessories. The keyboard could also illuminate when open like on the Torch.
    02-17-13 11:12 PM
    I have attached another detail... The edges do not have to be ****-joint 90 degrees. The top and bottom can definitely be angled or curved bevel like in the sketch, plus rounded corners so that it matches the corners of the Z10 when it is in closed slide position. As you can see in the sketch I used inspiration from the Porsche keyboard with edge-to-edge buttons.

You can also bevel the sides too... But there is a micro-USB charging port that may have to be recessed into the bevel. That may make it look better and thinner illusion than having all 90-degree full thickness edges.
    Attached Thumbnails Keyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130218-01858.jpg  
    02-18-13 12:39 AM
    Very interesting!

I've been of the belief that a BB10 slider is kind of superfluous. I like the idea of a detachable option, though, especially if it's got an extra battery.
    02-18-13 12:43 AM
    This is sweet. Keep up the creativity
    02-18-13 01:06 AM
    Keyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130218-01859.jpgKeyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130218-01860.jpgKeyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130218-01861.jpg

I've had some more time to draw some more and found a ruler... Can't wait to see those renders. More drawings coming.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    02-18-13 12:38 PM
    Keyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130218-01862.jpgKeyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130218-01863.jpgKeyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130218-01864.jpgKeyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130218-01865.jpg

Here are more drawings showing also the back where the groove and slot would appear for the retractable micro USB plug. When you need to boost your Z10 you would just flick it out and plug it into the side of your Z10. The cable would be in the right position and length that even if you had it sliding open or closed it would still remain plugged. This would only be temporary as it looks ugly sticking out like that if you are talking on the phone but if you need it to charge a few minutes in your pocket nobody will see. Then you can stow away the cable into the recessed slot on the back again.

Alternatively you could have another port and need to carry a short cable but I am worried it could get lost or forgotten. Best to have the cable built into the back so you never forget it. If you plug this cable into Z10 then you could charge both back battery and Z10 by plugging into the back mod-case charge port, which daisy-chain charges the Z10.
    02-18-13 12:49 PM
    Quick thought... The rear camera would be covered when the keyboard is retracted. Or am I missing something?
    02-18-13 06:50 PM
    Ok first step done. I got the z10 modeled up
    Attached Thumbnails Keyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-render2.jpg  
    02-18-13 07:57 PM
    Wow! That's a beautiful render! Awesome!

You are right, I completely forgot about the rear camera in my sketches. The modified back-plate will still have the square opening for the rear camera, and the part that slides which contains the battery/keyboard will be made to have a "cutout" at the corner bevel so that it never blocks the camera, or it won't extend all the way out to the top and bottom edges of the Z10.

I will sketch out a few ideas so you see what you think works best. In fact, as an ***ADDED BONUS*** I was just thinking about this brilliant idea... follow me with this one....

There will be an ADDITIONAL lens element in the beveled part of the slider which overlaps the rear camera when in CLOSED position, which will change it to a wide-angle lens (or zoom or whatever). When the slider is OPEN, this additional lens (which is part of the bevel of the slider) no longer overlaps the rear camera and you shoot normally. So potentially you could have an extra camera feature also built into this mod-backing.

You can choose to shoot with the slider open or closed, it makes no difference to the Z10, depending on the situation. I believe there is a flash in there too but that shouldn't matter much. I just can't decide what's better, wide-angle option or zoom, and what would work better from an engineering standpoint.

So now the mod-backing would have:

- bluetooth keyboard
    - extended backup battery/charger unit
    - retractable micro-USB cord to plug into Z10 for charging on the go
    - USB female plug to allow charging of the backup battery
    - camera-lens attachment for rear-camera to allow wide-angle (closed slider) or normal (open slider) shots

What do you think? I'll sketch things up tonight.... details of that top left camera corner coming....
    02-18-13 08:44 PM
    Here is an idea for the corner over the rear camera.... a pass-through hole in the sliding part that converts the lens to a wide-angle....

First picture shows the slider OPEN position, the rear camera is unobscured and works just as normal because the back of the mod-backing has the exact same opening.

Keyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130218-01868.jpg

The second picture shows slider CLOSER position, the rear camera now covered by the "pass-through" in the slider, either it is empty just for taking regular pictures or it contains a wide-angle lens or even interchangeable "cartridge" lenses that can slide in and out for various effects.

Keyboard Case Mod with Extra Battery for Z10-img-20130218-01869.jpg

This is the ultimate Z10 accessory... call it the Z10-X or something along those lines, as it totally soups up the Z10 for those hard-core users.
    02-18-13 08:45 PM
    There is no reason why this couldn't be developed. I'd patent that stat.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 02:04 AM
    I'd love to patent this, but I think every piece of the design has been probably patented and used somewhere else anyways. So maybe it is just the unique "combination" of parts that is new, but the battery with tuck-away cord exists, the blackberry keyboard exists, the slider mechanism exists... I'm sure the camera lens change exists. Of course, patents take a lot of time and money, both of which I don't have... So I will contribute this one to the Crackberry community.

What would REALLY make me happy, is if RIM/Blackberry listens in on the forums, talks to us and lets us help them get something like this to market for the Z10 community. I am looking forward to seeing ummie4 put together some nice 3D renders based on the schematics above, then hopefully Crackberry notices it and posts the render images on the main page, then it goes "viral" and spreads all over the internet.... Then all the tech news sources say "leaked photos of new Z10" or something, and get the whole story wrong, like they usually do. :-)
    02-20-13 06:54 AM
43 12