I just security wiped my Z10 to lend it to a friend who is suddenly phoneless. Of course, I thought that the polite thing to do would be to also pre-install Snap for them as well. I had never thought about it before, but isn't it a tad ironic that the easiest way to sideload apps is from Google's own internet browser? (A work-around because we can't actually use Google apps officially)

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-06-15 07:29 PM
    I find all apps I need on bbworld, no need for snap, no need for amazon appstore, no need for android.

But it's excellent that options exist, so that everyone can find the apps they want

But what is strange, is that IF android apps are needed, why do people buy a BlackBerry?

Anyway, at least we can run many android apps, that's more than apple and microsoft can... they don't even run BlackBerry10 apps on the other platforms... :-)
    01-06-15 08:27 PM
    I don't think that there is a need for Android apps, but choice is good. And if our platform can run them I think that is good, too.
    There are a couple of apps that I use because there is no alternative available in BlackBerry World. But I don't view it as a deal breaker because they are available through Amazon or Snap. Options are good.

01-06-15 10:32 PM
    I prefer the Google Playstore!

Isn't it ironic?-img_20150107_103422.png

And yes, the mere fact that we have Google Playstore is ironical lol

P.S. It's fine if users don't prefer to have Android apps on their phone, doesn't mean nobody needs it -___________-

Example, I prefer Android's version of Evernote over the native one:

Isn't it ironic?-img_20150107_103714.png

Isn't it ironic?-img_20150107_103832.png

I can see people cringing.

 Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.1154 
    01-06-15 11:40 PM

But what is strange, is that IF android apps are needed, why do people buy a BlackBerry?
    Keyboard, hub, swipe.

 Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.1154 
    01-06-15 11:44 PM
    Keyboard, hub, swipe.
    True that.

01-07-15 12:01 AM
    Just because i need a few android apps doesn't mean i want android as a whole.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    Sally Mack and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    01-07-15 05:30 AM
    My burning question: All those permissions that Android apps gives itself, and unlike BlackBerry App World apps that you can manipulate, doesn't that defeat the whole point of this secure device?!

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 04:19 PM
    My burning question: All those permissions that Android apps gives itself, and unlike BlackBerry App World apps that you can manipulate, doesn't that defeat the whole point of this secure device?!

Posted via CB10
    Ya it sucks. But, if you really need Android apps, you can limit their permissions to an extent using Advanced Permission Manager:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...heagoo.pmaster

I say "to an extent" because some apps will either crash or lose functionality if you disable certain things.
    02-02-15 04:51 AM
    Ya it sucks. But, if you really need Android apps, you can limit their permissions to an extent using Advanced Permission Manager:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...heagoo.pmaster

I say "to an extent" because some apps will either crash or lose functionality if you disable certain things.
    Yes, I've tried that on my Android device with OneNote. That application did NOT like me stripping it almost bare. It simply would not reinstall after I removed its numerous permissions!

So yes, even in the Android ecosystem there's only so much APM, or its like, can do. And that's what I like about B4BB apps: I can remove all the unnecessary rights and it'd run.

I've overcome the limitation though: I just picked up a new Android "toy" device. It's stupid, but it's my current solution.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 10:39 PM
    Not being able to control permissions is silly. I wouldn't use Android without the ability to control permissions.
    02-04-15 11:34 PM
    are you sure this works?....doesnt work for me

Posted via CB750
    02-14-15 03:12 AM