What is snap? Please tell me:/ new comer here

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 03:31 PM
    Snap is a Blackberry Client to download Android Apps from the Google Play Store.

Sent from my Q10 using CB Forums mobile app
    04-29-14 04:27 PM
    Why is Snap itself not an .apk file?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    04-29-14 10:00 PM
    Snap Installer ist just a downloader and installer for Snap. It's main purpose is to make installation of Snap easier for everyone. I agree with you that an Android version of Snap would make sense regarding the installation procedure. But hey, once it's installed on your device you don't need to bother anymore anyway.

So I suggest that you use the installer, get Snap on your device, enjoy all the android apps and then head over to the tread of the developer JamesPaulMuir and say thanks for his outstanding work :-)

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...-2-1-a-874153/
    canuckvoip likes this.
    04-30-14 01:53 AM
    Thank You Very Much. 8D

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 10:19 AM
    Btw what if I delete the Snap installer in my handheld, is it ok? Not affecting the snap???

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 10:20 AM
    Btw what if I delete the Snap installer in my handheld, is it ok? Not affecting the snap???

Posted via CB10
    Snap Installer is a PC app and is not installed on your device. It only downloads and pushes the Snap bar file to your device. You don't need Snap installer anymore after the transfer was successful. You may want to keep Snap installer on your PC though to have an easy way to install updates of Snap if they are released.
    04-30-14 10:25 AM
    Snap Installer ist just a downloader and installer for Snap. It's main purpose is to make installation of Snap easier for everyone. I agree with you that an Android version of Snap would make sense regarding the installation procedure. But hey, once it's installed on your device you don't need to bother anymore anyway.

So I suggest that you use the installer, get Snap on your device, enjoy all the android apps and then head over to the tread of the developer JamesPaulMuir and say thanks for his outstanding work :-)
    Oh, I did all that and have been using Snap since Day 1 with my Q10. I was just curious about why it wasn't distributed as an .apk, which would make the installation even simpler than it already is.

While I'm at it, thanks much for your installer, which I used.
    Cobalt232 likes this.
    04-30-14 01:30 PM
    Cobalt232...well done sir. I commend you. This literally took me less than 3 mins to accomplish. Works like a charm! Thanks.
    Cobalt232 likes this.
    04-30-14 04:15 PM
    Snap Installer is a PC app and is not installed on your device. It only downloads and pushes the Snap bar file to your device. You don't need Snap installer anymore after the transfer was successful. You may want to keep Snap installer on your PC though to have an easy way to install updates of Snap if they are released.
    Gonna do that. Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 08:30 PM
    Oh, I did all that and have been using Snap since Day 1 with my Q10. I was just curious about why it wasn't distributed as an .apk, which would make the installation even simpler than it already is.
    It is never going to be an Android app because it is a native app which modifies the native OS to allow usage of Google's Android store.

Normally a native app would just be distributed through BlackBerry World, but because BlackBerry has an (understandable) policy against distributing apps whose function facilitates a competitive app store, it cannot be distributed that way.

In addition to the usual BBW policy, it's kind of a "Don't Ask / Don't Tell" deal.

BlackBerry doesn't mind power users using it, but for contractual and legal and technical reasons (ie lots of Google Play apps aren't compatible with the BB10 runtime), they do not want to officially support it. (As they would have to do if they allowed distribution through BBW)
    ubizmo likes this.
    05-04-14 05:54 PM
    It is never going to be an Android app because it is a native app which modifies the native OS to allow usage of Google's Android store.
    Now that you point that out, I guess it should have been obvious. I had fallen into the error of thinking that all apps are .apks.
    05-04-14 05:59 PM
    Thanks Cobalt! I downloaded Snap directly but my Z30 wouldn't open the file. Your installer got it done in about 2 minutes. It would've been less than 1 minute but I didn't see the spot where I had to enter the passcode that I made in Dev Mode
    05-05-14 01:12 PM
    Happy to hear that I could help. Enjoy Snap and and all the Android apps. Also Check my other threads if you stumble over apps using Google Maps API or Google Play.

05-05-14 03:22 PM
    If I install SNAP, will it allow me to BUY an app off Google Play? I have one app that I really like and want to get rid of the Ads. Can't seem to figure out how to actually buy an Android App. I have a Z10
    Appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    05-06-14 10:42 AM
    You can buy apps from google play Website and then download them with snap. You can't buy apps directly from Snap. Hope this helps.

05-06-14 01:04 PM
    When I sign in to Google, go to the Play Store, it won't let me past the "you need a valid Android Device". Any suggestions?
    05-06-14 01:18 PM
    You First must install Snap and login from Snap with your Google Account. This will add your device to Google Play store.

05-06-14 03:36 PM
    @cobalt232 I'm having a problem with my snap app. What I choose to download isn't what is downloaded. I get an entirely different apo every time. Any advice?

Posted via CB10
    05-06-14 03:42 PM
    What county are you in?

05-06-14 03:49 PM
    So I updated my Q10 to the latest OS yesterday and it removed Snap. Now when I try to re-install Snap, it wont install and says that it is already installed. Ideas?
    05-08-14 07:03 AM
    So I updated my Q10 to the latest OS yesterday and it removed Snap. Now when I try to re-install Snap, it wont install and says that it is already installed. Ideas?
    Hmm never seen that before. Normally you can install Snap even if it already is on your device. It simply gets overwritten. What exactly does snap installer log tell? Can you post it here?
    05-08-14 09:58 AM
    I cant find where the snap log file is. Where should it be? Also where is snap installed on the BB? I can just delete the Snap folder if I knew where it installed to.
    05-09-14 09:30 AM
    Wow, thank you for sharing. The app sound great and easy to use. I usually side load apps through Chrome or Sachesi, but will give this a try. I like the WLAN capability. =0)

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 09:51 AM
    I got it fixed. The issue was with the Java folder. I had to downgrade Java to version 6 and the filepath was still searching for jre7. It is working again.
    05-09-14 12:38 PM
187 ... 34567 ...