Cobalt, thank you for your work.

I'm an advanced android user/modder/developer who just got a passport last week; I'm giving it 30 days. I picked up my Moto X last night and must say I missed the resolution of the passport immediately.

Few questions:

Is there inherently anything different between patching within Lucky Patcher and your Gmaps? The FAQ states that LP cannot patch actual services apk but at the coding level is there anything different?

I installed framework v3 and tried your Gmail 5.0 apk but it crashes and kicks me back to home screen immediately. The rest of the apks (login, services, id, playstore) are up to date, so I'm wondering, is there a conflict?

Right now I'm trying to find a work around for google voice, since I use that as my main number. I could port out, but making it work would be cool. For Hangouts, have you tried any of the early apks right when Hangouts/GV were integrated?

Finally, within some of these apps, they don't post notifications to the hub. I read this is a limitation, but have you investigated it further?

Edit: Updated google play services 5.0.89 to 6.1.0.5 beta which solved it.
    Last edited by Poi25; 03-22-15 at 02:47 PM. Reason: fixed one issue
    03-22-15 11:54 AM
    Cobalt, thank you for your work.

I'm an advanced android user/modder/developer who just got a passport last week; I'm giving it 30 days. I picked up my Moto X last night and must say I missed the resolution of the passport immediately.

Few questions:

Is there inherently anything different between patching within Lucky Patcher and your Gmaps? The FAQ states that LP cannot patch actual services apk but at the coding level is there anything different?

I installed framework v3 and tried your Gmail 5.0 apk but it crashes and kicks me back to home screen immediately. The rest of the apks (login, services, id, playstore) are up to date, so I'm wondering, is there a conflict?

Right now I'm trying to find a work around for google voice, since I use that as my main number. I could port out, but making it work would be cool. For Hangouts, have you tried any of the early apks right when Hangouts/GV were integrated?

Finally, within some of these apps, they don't post notifications to the hub. I read this is a limitation, but have you investigated it further?

Edit: Updated google play services 5.0.89 to 6.1.0.5 beta which solved it.

Hi and welcome to the Blackberry Club!

Lucky Patcher and GMaps Patcher work in a completely different way:

• GMaps Patcher decompiles the file using APKTool and then modifies the created smali code.
    • Lucky Patcher uses a byte patching method. Meaning, it replaces ie. 0f 0f 0f with 01 0a 0a

The main advantage of GMaps patcher is, that there are no limits on what you can patch. You can add additional methods (functions) or change the whole code of the app. Lucky Patcher can only patch the code in a very narrow way. If a function has a size of 64 bytes, it cant patch 70 bytes, as this would already overwrite the next part of the code.

Lucky Patcher is good for just removing the Google Play nag screen or some of the ads while Gmaps Patcher is able to do more complex modifications to the code, i.e. replace Open Street Maps with Google Maps.

Hope this helps.
    03-23-15 12:45 PM
    Hi and welcome to the Blackberry Club!

Lucky Patcher and GMaps Patcher work in a completely different way:

• GMaps Patcher decompiles the file using APKTool and then modifies the created smali code.
    • Lucky Patcher uses a byte patching method. Meaning, it replaces ie. 0f 0f 0f with 01 0a 0a

The main advantage of GMaps patcher is, that there are no limits on what you can patch. You can add additional methods (functions) or change the whole code of the app. Lucky Patcher can only patch the code in a very narrow way. If a function has a size of 64 bytes, it cant patch 70 bytes, as this would already overwrite the next part of the code.

Lucky Patcher is good for just removing the Google Play nag screen or some of the ads while Gmaps Patcher is able to do more complex modifications to the code, i.e. replace Open Street Maps with Google Maps.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks. I grabbed the apk of the first Hangouts/GV integration and patched it with GMaps. Hangouts screen loaded but ended up giving a "Could not connect" error. Didn't expect it to work anyways.
    03-23-15 01:03 PM
    Hangouts uses Google+ login from Google Play services and this is not supported. Sorry.
    03-23-15 02:55 PM
    So I finally jumped into the whole patching scene as there's an app that I've been wanting for a while that has never worked. It's a taxi app called Ameys Taxi. But after patching using GMAPS Patcher and then installing com.google.android.gms-5.0-89-cobalt.apk, the app still just hangs. No errors, just hangs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for this awesome thread!
    03-23-15 03:11 PM
    Any suggestions?
    Try play services 6.1.0.5 beta, that fixed stuff for me.
    03-23-15 03:14 PM
    Try play services 6.1.0.5 beta, that fixed stuff for me.
    Well, I took your suggestion, but had the same result.
    03-23-15 04:25 PM
    How do you download GMaps Patcher? And how come I can't install lucky patcher?

How to patch Android Apps depending on Google Maps and Google Play Services-img_20150323_182911.png

I see posts of people that are talking about both patchers, but I can't even get it to install let alone run.

What am I doing wrong at this point?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 05:31 PM
    How do you download GMaps Patcher? And how come I can't install lucky patcher?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150323_182911.png 
Views:	1412 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	343346

I see posts of people that are talking about both patchers, but I can't even get it to install let alone run.

What am I doing wrong at this point?

Posted via CB10
    Did you install patched google play services first? How to remove Google Play services dependencies with Lucky Patcher - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    03-23-15 06:35 PM
    I downloaded the latest and installed it

com.google.android.gms-6.6.03-cobalt.apk

It opens but it's a white screen and nothing else

I have the older version and installed it

com.google.android.gms-6.1.05-cobalt.apk

It opens and I'm allowed to access the settings, but I can't set anything. Because it says the app stopped working yet it doesn't close and I'm able to access the app.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 08:20 AM
    Tried Lucky Patcher but sadly Snapchat have shut off all loopholes they obviously read the forums here. Using LP method removes Google play but won't allow you to login to Snapchat just brings a failed login message.

Just wonder why they hate BlackBerry so much? All this effort they are making blocking us they could have invested into embracing us... makes for far better PR & gives them more users.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 09:22 PM
    I don't think it's snapchat intentionally closing "loopholes". I think it's more to do with some of the newer methods found in Google play services. Google is evolving it rapidly, and there's only so much one man can do to get around it.
    03-25-15 10:37 PM
    I don't think it's snapchat intentionally closing "loopholes". I think it's more to do with some of the newer methods found in Google play services. Google is evolving it rapidly, and there's only so much one man can do to get around it.
    It sucks, there has to be some many alternate methods just for access. Then a follow up method(s) WHEN something else changes/updates. Why can't most if not all google apps be compatibility with all smartphones?
    I guess for now that's wishful thinking on my part.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by blackone85; 03-26-15 at 06:20 AM.
    03-26-15 04:12 AM
    So I finally jumped into the whole patching scene as there's an app that I've been wanting for a while that has never worked. It's a taxi app called Ameys Taxi. But after patching using GMAPS Patcher and then installing com.google.android.gms-5.0-89-cobalt.apk, the app still just hangs. No errors, just hangs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for this awesome thread!
    So...question. If I were to post the patched .apk file, is this something where someone would easily be able to identify the issue? I realize that this isn't an android tech support site! Just asking the question.

Thanks,
    JTP
    03-26-15 07:05 AM
    Best bet would be to download cobalt's BlackBerry android logger (Check his signature for link) and post the log file it generates as the app tries to run.

In my experience though, these hangs and crashes are generally not a result of play services, and (sadly) don't appear in the logs.
    03-26-15 12:11 PM
    It sucks, there has to be some many alternate methods just for access. Then a follow up method(s) WHEN something else changes/updates. Why can't most if not all google apps be compatibility with all smartphones?
    I guess for now that's wishful thinking on my part.

Posted via CB10
    Because if Google had their way everybody would be on android and then they would have compatibility with all smartphones. Same with iOS, and if everybody in the world was on BB10 then these apps would all be designed for us and available in BlackBerry World. They have nothing to gain by trying to make their applications compatible with devices they don't support and can't guarantee compatibility with. Thankfully there are people with great technical and programming knowledge in these areas that try to open these doors for us to get even more out of our devices. If I only knew how to do anything like this I would probably be doing anything I could to help Cobalt and Sally Mack continue the work they do.
    03-26-15 05:59 PM
    This worked really well for Redbox. Thank you. I realize I am probably the only person using the Google+ app, but I use it often. This patch gave me a "cannot connect to server" error message, probably because of its dependence on Google. Anyone know of a way to get the app to work? I would prefer not to use the app's mobile site.
    03-26-15 06:11 PM
    This worked really well for Redbox. Thank you. I realize I am probably the only person using the Google+ app, but I use it often. This patch gave me a "cannot connect to server" error message, probably because of its dependence on Google. Anyone know of a way to get the app to work? I would prefer not to use the app's mobile site.
    There is no workaround for this. Right now we have no way to access anything related to Google+, outside of the mobile site.
    03-26-15 06:18 PM
    I never post on this forum cause I'm a lazy c*nt haha, but I just wanna say I'm ridiculously stoked I actually took the time to read this cause Snapchat 100% works for me! Woop.
    03-27-15 04:08 AM
    hi cobalt or anyone,

first of all, thank you for your effort.

question, I installed the Google Play services 5.0.89 (stable). how do I uninstall? is there a proper way to uninstall?
    03-27-15 09:15 PM
    Nothing special... Tap and hold the Google settings icon on your home screen, then tap the garbage bin icon. Maybe a restart after for ocd purposes .
    03-27-15 09:34 PM
    is there an updated patched google play services?
    03-28-15 06:17 AM
    I never post on this forum cause I'm a lazy c*nt haha, but I just wanna say I'm ridiculously stoked I actually took the time to read this cause Snapchat 100% works for me! Woop.
    How'd you get it to work? I patched the latest version of Snapchat with GMaps to remove Google Play Services error, also installed the Google Play Services 5.0.89 patched apk. Snapchat doesn't have the error anymore, but it won't allow me to login. It fails every time, even if I put in a wrong password, it's just endlessly trying to login.
    03-28-15 07:18 AM
    How'd you get it to work? I patched the latest version of Snapchat with GMaps to remove Google Play Services error, also installed the Google Play Services 5.0.89 patched apk. Snapchat doesn't have the error anymore, but it won't allow me to login. It fails every time, even if I put in a wrong password, it's just endlessly trying to login.
    It might be an old version of the app. The good news is that old versions let you log in. The bad news is you eventually get flagged by snapchat for using an unsupported app and can have your account suspended or banned.

Posted via my Z30 with the CrackBerry App
    03-28-15 10:47 AM
    patching any version of snapchat will not work
    03-28-15 10:50 AM
4,042 ... 6970717273 ...