Thanks for clarifying Cobalt!
    05-08-14 10:24 AM
    It's hard to tell how BB will implement the Google account features and what problems it will solve. What app do you have that gives the "Google Play Services has stopped" error? Maybe something did not patch correctly?
    The latest Candy Crush Saga and the New Words with Friends. But I haven't even tried to patch them. While I've followed this thread, it feels beyond me.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 11:43 AM
    hey,
    I have to admit my guilty pleasure is the Eurovision Song Contest.. so I wanted to install the official android app.
    I dispatched it and installed it since it claimed Google Service stuff before. but now it says it "unfortunately, Eurovision has stopped".
    any ideas?
    05-08-14 02:58 PM
    Subscribed

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 03:01 PM
    hey,
    I have to admit my guilty pleasure is the Eurovision Song Contest.. so I wanted to install the official android app.
    I dispatched it and installed it since it claimed Google Service stuff before. but now it says it "unfortunately, Eurovision has stopped".
    any ideas?
    Did you install Google Play Services (com.google.android.gms.apk) from the output folder oft the patcher?
    05-08-14 03:50 PM
    I did :/
    05-08-14 04:32 PM
    Little late with this, but if you do decide to start a channel, post the info here. I'd join for sure
    05-08-14 11:53 PM
    Hi Cobalt, is it possible to get YouTube working with the patch?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 12:52 AM
    Since google map login works , isn't it logical that other goodies services should work.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 01:24 AM
    Hi!
    Is there a way to download snap/google play store as an apk straight onto my q10 without using a computer?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 05:01 AM
    Is there a way to download snap/google play store as an apk straight onto my q10 without using a computer?
    Try this: How to sideload Snap without any hassle using Snap Installer
    Last edited by eywong; 05-09-14 at 01:14 PM.
    05-09-14 09:03 AM
    Hi!

Posted via CB10
    Snap comes as a BAR file so it must be sideloaded. There isn't an APK because Snap is a native BB10 app. It isn't possible (or reasonable) to repackage it as an android APK. Sideloading is the only way to go. Follow the method provided throughout the thread and recently posted by eywong.

05-09-14 09:41 AM
    This post may be considered off-topic, and if so, I'll start a new thread. But since this thread is active, here goes:

I went to Google Play and bought the paid app, called Merriam-Webster Premium, for $2.99, DL'ed it both via the Chrome extension and also via Snap (once Snap recognized from Google Store that I had purchased it), and I installed it without any problem.

The trouble is that this app, even when installed, requires a connection to Google Store to verify the purchase. I guess they don't want people distributing APK files on the Internet, although this is the first paid app which has given me this problem. I contacted the developer's tech support and they said there was nothing they could do, the app simply required a connection to Google Store, and that this is (currently) impossible on a BlackBerry. (Surprisingly, the Merriam-Webster Premium app actually ran normally one time for me without trying to connect to the Store, but I haven't been able to replicate that behavior.) I've asked the developer why they can't have the user enter an authorization code once the APK is installed instead of having to connect to the Google Store--no answer yet, and I don't expect one.

I've searched Google and CB, but apparently no one has found a way to hack the Google Store on BB to let us connect and pay for things with the BB, and, of course, Snap can't do it. I tried Cobalt's Google Play services patch but it said the app didn't need patching.

Am I missing something here? Will Google Store ever be directly accessible to buy apps via BlackBerry? I wonder why Google doesn't want it to be easier to buy their products?
    05-09-14 10:13 AM
    Re: yelp -- I believe there's a "Patch signature permissions" check box in the advanced options of the patcher you can toggle to get it to work (though personally I've had mixed results. I use the yelp mobile site instead since I keep seeing that darn dinosaur!).

Gmaps - doesn't need patching! Should work straight from snap.
    The GMaps I download straight from Snap won't let me sign on or see any starred places so I thought patching would fix that...

On another note, I would also like to happily report that the Transit App also works with the latest patcher! Recently it's been updated to require Google Play Services, but a quick patched fixed it. I don't know if anyone is keeping tabs on which apps can be fixed with the patcher but you can add another one to that list.
    05-09-14 05:09 PM
    Concerning Google Maps app. Please remember that you cant log in, if you have Google Play Services installed. it's one or the other.

Sent from my Q10 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-09-14 05:26 PM
    This post may be considered off-topic, and if so, I'll start a new thread. But since this thread is active, here goes:

I went to Google Play and bought the paid app, called Merriam-Webster Premium, for $2.99, DL'ed it both via the Chrome extension and also via Snap (once Snap recognized from Google Store that I had purchased it), and I installed it without any problem.

The trouble is that this app, even when installed, requires a connection to Google Store to verify the purchase. I guess they don't want people distributing APK files on the Internet, although this is the first paid app which has given me this problem. I contacted the developer's tech support and they said there was nothing they could do, the app simply required a connection to Google Store, and that this is (currently) impossible on a BlackBerry. (Surprisingly, the Merriam-Webster Premium app actually ran normally one time for me without trying to connect to the Store, but I haven't been able to replicate that behavior.) I've asked the developer why they can't have the user enter an authorization code once the APK is installed instead of having to connect to the Google Store--no answer yet, and I don't expect one.

I've searched Google and CB, but apparently no one has found a way to hack the Google Store on BB to let us connect and pay for things with the BB, and, of course, Snap can't do it. I tried Cobalt's Google Play services patch but it said the app didn't need patching.

Am I missing something here? Will Google Store ever be directly accessible to buy apps via BlackBerry? I wonder why Google doesn't want it to be easier to buy their products?
    I?ve encountered apps that need the google play store, however this is sometimes solved by installing com.android.vending.apk (the google play store apk). Even if it doesn't run on your phone, it's very existence is sometimes enough for the app to work.
    KenV54 likes this.
    05-10-14 09:04 AM
    I highly doubt Google will ever officially support BlackBerry. I think they would rather crush all competition and keep gaining whatever market share they can.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 09:43 AM
    I?ve encountered apps that need the google play store, however this is sometimes solved by installing com.android.vending.apk (the google play store apk). Even if it doesn't run on your phone, it's very existence is sometimes enough for the app to work.
    Thanks. Yes, I had the com.android.vending.apk (Google Play Store) installed, and I would be directed to and sort of signed into the Store, but the Merriam-Webster app wants me to /pay/ for it, or at least verify that it has been paid. This is strange, because I don't know of a way to get this APK from Google Store (via Chrome and an Android simulator like Blue Stacks) in the first place without paying for it first.

There is a slightly less functional free version of the M-W dictionary with ads, with a drop down menu and an option to buy the premium version, but again, it takes you to the Store and won't let you do anything. If I remove the vending apk, then these apps direct me to Google Play Store on the Z10 Browser, where it shows "Installed" under my user name in Google, but of course the M-W app can't see or use that.

Edit: Solution found, according to what you said.

I DL'ed newer Google Play and Vending APKs and installed them. Of course, I can't get to Google Play Store on the BB. But now when I run the M-W Dictionary it gives an Application Error: 6, which apparently means in Android apps that the "Vending" app doesn't have complete permissions. "Error Code 6 means your missing the permission to check for licensing from your application manifest" according to several websites. So, I've gone into BB permissions, but can't edit the Google Play/Vending permissions--they are all son. I've also tried Ghost Commander, Manage app, Permissions, but no go.

The good news is that once I OK out of "Application Error: 6" the app seems to run fine, without asking for me to pay for it or directing me to the Google Store.

Strange behavior.
    Last edited by KenV54; 05-10-14 at 12:52 PM. Reason: New information; reasonable solution
    05-10-14 09:53 AM
    Has anybody successfully patched and got the magicjack app working? If so can u kindly post the apk
    I tried it, but the software said that the app doesn't need to be patched.
    05-12-14 11:40 AM
    I tried it, but the software said that the app doesn't need to be patched.
    My patcher never lies.... (well most of the time). But in your case there just may be nothing to patch.
    05-12-14 01:57 PM
    Such detection is called 'False Positive'. In other words, there is no malware in the app, it's just Norton getting it wrong.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    I have Norton Endpoint Protection running and it doesnt seem interested in the programm..
    05-12-14 03:42 PM
    I just wanted to mention that Tripadvisor requires specific patching to work. Here are the required steps:

1. Run the patcher with the option to pause
    2. When the patcher pauses, go to \tmp folder and change the following line in AndroidManifest:

Code:
    Change this:
    <provider android:authorities="@string/GLOBAL_TRIPADVISOR_SEARCH_PROVIDER_AUTHORITY" android:exported="true" 

To this:
    <provider android:authorities="com.tripadvisor.tripadvisor.GlobalTripAdvisorSearchProvider" android:exported="true"
    Save the file and then press OK in the patcher and let it rebuild the package. That's it.
    I noticed you took out the reference to the strings.xml file in the android-manifest for this entry and replaced it with the actual text. Does this need to happen for any "@string" references? In the past I've used this method (for the api key) with success.
    05-13-14 12:43 AM
    I noticed you took out the reference to the strings.xml file in the android-manifest for this entry and replaced it with the actual text. Does this need to happen for any "@string" references? In the past I've used this method (for the api key) with success.
    It's not necessary for all @String, but in this specific case there was an error shown Blackberry logger. It looks like authorities can not be referenced.
    05-13-14 01:50 AM
    Hi Cobalt, Sally

I am also trying to get the Garmin Connect app to work on my Z10 but I'm pulling my hair out with no luck.

"Garmin Connect Mobile" on 1Mobile http://www.1mobile.com/redirect/com.....connectmobile .

While the app does run and I can login, I can't get the app to go beyond the Activity page.

I am getting "Google Play Services have stopped". And also "Google Play services which some of your apps rely on, is not available on your device." errors.

I tried to patch the app but it shows nothing to patch.

Also followed the steps in the posts but I'm getting
    >Google Map error - No Network found (I'm sure there is as I'm sending this from the CB10 app on my phone)
    > Google Play error - unable to contact server, pls try again later.

Please advise what am I missing here? I suspect it could be the vending or some of the patched google play services apk I have not tried. Would be great if I can get some leads on this.

And thanks a mil for the absolutely brilliant work you are doing.
    How to patch Android Apps depending on Google Maps and Google Play Services-img_20140514_215028.png

Z10 st100-2 OS10.2.1.2228

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 09:17 AM
    I've actually patched the Garmin connect app successfully in the past. From what I recall it was pretty straight forward. Will have a look tonight to see what's happening in the patcher.
    Sky ryen likes this.
    05-14-14 11:10 AM
4,042 ... 1516171819 ...