So this will fix apps that require Google Play Services?
    In most cases, yes
    04-04-14 05:45 PM
    I am getting High Risk warning and Norton removes the file with WS.Reputation.1 thread.

How to patch Android Apps depending on Google Maps and Google Play Services-266cfa2a2897093ca60e512e6f2de27c.png

Security Response/ WS.Reputation.1
    04-05-14 02:25 PM
    FYI it doesn't work on Yelp. Seems to have broken the GPS and going to Google Maps in it causes it to crash
    04-05-14 02:41 PM
    Interesting. I can assure that there is no harmful code in the app. The app isn't even accessing the registry. Anyone else having such messages?
    04-05-14 02:42 PM
    I am getting High Risk warning and Norton removes the file with WS.Reputation.1 thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	266cfa2a2897093ca60e512e6f2de27c.png 
Views:	1867 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	260932

Security Response/ WS.Reputation.1
    Such detection is called 'False Positive'. In other words, there is no malware in the app, it's just Norton getting it wrong.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    04-05-14 02:57 PM
    Such detection is called 'False Positive'. In other words, there is no malware in the app, it's just Norton getting it wrong.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    Norton is garbage, if it doesn't know what something is it just deletes it, sounds like the logical solution to me. If you are still feeling skeptical, the threat name is reputation, not a specific virus or exploit. Just put an exception in and you should be fine.

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.2947
    04-05-14 03:07 PM
    FYI it doesn't work on Yelp. Seems to have broken the GPS and going to Google Maps in it causes it to crash
    Thanks for you feedback. Yelp seems to be a special case. My Blackberry Android runtime logger throws a bunch of errors after running the patched app. It seems that Yelp doesn't like the new signature it is been signed with. May be able to fix it, but need to look deeper into it.
    04-05-14 03:07 PM
    Cobalt, can I ask you to look at a log for me? I went in head first yesterday trying to find out exactly what causes Smash Hit to force close and it just doesn't seem to be Google Play anything anymore. I even successfully edited the xml file to match that of the other Mediocre games which happen to run flawlessly but I'm far from a code guy and 90% goes way over my head.
    04-05-14 03:27 PM
    Fyi you can use the yelp mobile website on your BlackBerry now, and it works better than the android Sideload. Much faster, and almost the exact same feature set as the app.
    04-05-14 03:36 PM
    Oh, and I forgot to mention with yelp... the only way I could get the android version to get a gps lock was to have google maps open in the background as well. I thought it was just my device doing something funny, but maybe there's another bigger issue at hand here.
    04-05-14 03:41 PM
    Cobalt, can I ask you to look at a log for me? I went in head first yesterday trying to find out exactly what causes Smash Hit to force close and it just doesn't seem to be Google Play anything anymore. I even successfully edited the xml file to match that of the other Mediocre games which happen to run flawlessly but I'm far from a code guy and 90% goes way over my head.
    Sure, I'll take a quick look right now and see what the logs throw at me...
    04-05-14 03:47 PM
    Sure, I'll take a quick look right now and see what the logs throw at me...
    Thanks!
    Attached Files
    04-05-14 04:00 PM
    Smash Hit from Mediocre works without any patching on my Q10. I have Google Play, Google Login Services and Google Vending installed.

How to patch Android Apps depending on Google Maps and Google Play Services-smash_hit.png
    04-05-14 04:01 PM
    I have a Z10 and I've had problems running this game on both 10.2.1 and 10.3(currently on this on). It's so baffling.
    04-05-14 04:18 PM
    Interesting. I can assure that there is no harmful code in the app. The app isn't even accessing the registry. Anyone else having such messages?
    In these cases developer can contact Norton to help fix false positives.
    https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/standard/
    04-05-14 04:39 PM
    EDIT: This fix is now included in the latest version of the patcher (v0.6). Grab it in the original post.

Ok guys, I looked into that Yelp stuff. As I stated some posts before it's a signature issue.

The fix is quite easy:

1. Run the patcher (v0.5) with option "Pause before rebuilding" set to ON
    2. When patcher pauses, go to \tmp\com.yelp.android.xxx folder
    3. Open AndroidManifest.xml with a text editor and remove the following two lines:

Code:
        <permission android:name="com.yelp.android.permission.C2D_MESSAGE" android:protectionLevel="signature"/>
        <permission android:name="com.yelp.android.permission.MAPS_RECEIVE" android:protectionLevel="signature"/>
    Save the file and then press the OK button in the patchers modale window to recompile.

That's it.

How to patch Android Apps depending on Google Maps and Google Play Services-img_20140406_105901.png
    Last edited by Cobalt232; 04-07-14 at 11:43 AM.
    04-06-14 04:01 AM
    In these cases developer can contact Norton to help fix false positives.
    https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/standard/
    Not sure if it's a good strategy to pull attention to a patcher that's sole purpose is to reverse engineer other peoples property. I'll better not do that.
    Sally Mack likes this.
    04-06-14 04:14 AM
    I tried a patch for Google maps (v7.7) using GMAPS Patcher. Still doesn't allow me to log on.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 06:48 AM
    I tried to patch Flashscore app, it worked the Mesage 'Google play services needed' does not appear anymore , but how can I receive notifications for the app now??) flash score has push notifications for android using Google play services, now that I patched the app, How can I make it send push notifications?????? Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 07:41 AM
    Oh, and I forgot to mention with yelp... the only way I could get the android version to get a gps lock was to have google maps open in the background as well. I thought it was just my device doing something funny, but maybe there's another bigger issue at hand here.
    I experience no "GPS lock" issue with patched Yelp 5.6.1 running with Google Maps 7.7.0 (installed with Snap). However, I do have a similar issue with patched OpenTable.3.5.1.276. It does not find my "Current Location" unless Google Maps is already open. If Google Maps is not open, I get the message, "We can't seem to find your location" in a popup window. (So, I minimize OpenTable and I open Google Maps. I go back to OpenTable, tap Retry, and it finds my location.)
    Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2947
    04-06-14 11:11 AM
    Not sure if it's a good strategy to pull attention to a patcher that's sole purpose is to reverse engineer other peoples property. I'll better not do that.
    Right.
    Perhaps that's the reason for Norton blocking the executable from being run.
    I already put it an exception on my PC.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    04-06-14 11:40 AM
    I experience no "GPS lock" issue with patched Yelp 5.6.1 running with Google Maps 7.7.0 (installed with Snap). However, I do have a similar issue with patched OpenTable.3.5.1.276. It does not find my "Current Location" unless Google Maps is already open. If Google Maps is not open, I get the message, "We can't seem to find your location" in a popup window. (So, I minimize OpenTable and I open Google Maps. I go back to OpenTable, tap Retry, and it finds my location.)
    Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2947
    So this is for you!
    Patched Yelp with location support
    eywong likes this.
    04-06-14 12:26 PM
    Just when I thought I was comfortable using the mobile website for Opentable and yelp (which honestly offer a very robust feature set comparable to the respective app) , cobalt lures me back in by fixing this bug
    04-06-14 04:09 PM
    Just when I thought I was comfortable using the mobile website for Opentable and yelp (which honestly offer a very robust feature set comparable to the respective app) , cobalt lures me back in by fixing this bug
    Sorry mate

Must mention that OpenTable can not be fixed that way, it uses oauth 2.0 authentication which can't be bypassed by removing the signature check. I may find a solution if I do a deeper digging. But for now, it's just Yelp and similar apps that can be fixed this way.

A new version of the patcher is on it's way that includes that fix.
    04-06-14 04:13 PM
    A new version of the patcher (v0.6) is available!

Changelog:
    • New: Patcher now removes Maps dependent permission signatures from AndroidManifest (Yelp patch)

The original post has been updated with a new downloadlink.
    eywong and tryfe like this.
    04-06-14 04:28 PM
4,042 ... 678910 ...