Can we start a comprehensive list of successfully patched apps? This will surely be picked up by the CrackBerry team at some point so it's good to have a list readily available.
    Sure, go for it. I will link to your page in the original post.
    03-21-14 01:34 PM
    To start with, I must say that this is a pretty amazing bunch. I have no idea how you guys figure out how to do these things but I'm very grateful.

I have a couple of questions for Cobalt:

1. Can you give me the basics to what it is that this Patcher application does? It removes dependencies and then it appears to direct the map services to Google Maps V2. Is that correct or is it pulling map data from somewhere else?

2. What did you do to the com.google.android.gms.apk file to make it work? Can you explain what process is occurring with the patched app and this version of Google Settings? I was worried that this version of Google Settings would negatively affect non-patched apps but it seems like it has no affect on them.

Thanks!
    03-23-14 01:36 AM
    Has anyone managed to get a working Quizup apk?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 01:45 AM
    To start with, I must say that this is a pretty amazing bunch. I have no idea how you guys figure out how to do these things but I'm very grateful.

I have a couple of questions for Cobalt:

1. Can you give me the basics to what it is that this Patcher application does? It removes dependencies and then it appears to direct the map services to Google Maps V2. Is that correct or is it pulling map data from somewhere else?

2. What did you do to the com.google.android.gms.apk file to make it work? Can you explain what process is occurring with the patched app and this version of Google Settings? I was worried that this version of Google Settings would negatively affect non-patched apps but it seems like it has no affect on them.

Thanks!
    Lots of information found in this thread which has the historical evolution of this tool http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=9360646
    03-23-14 01:47 AM

2. What did you do to the com.google.android.gms.apk file to make it work? Can you explain what process is occurring with the patched app and this version of Google Settings? I was worried that this version of Google Settings would negatively affect non-patched apps but it seems like it has no affect on them. Thanks!
    Here a short wrap-up:

There are two types of map services used by android apps: Google Maps API v1 (old) and Google Maps API V2 (in newer apps).

In the case of API v1, Blackberry OS redirects the API calls to OpenStreetMaps. Therefore these apps will show OpenStreetMaps instead of Google Maps. Unfortunately, in some cases, the maps are not displayed correctly. The patcher detects, if API v1 is used in AndroidManifest and removes the dependencies by deleting the entire line that states "com.google.android.maps". It then decompiles the Maps.jar from Gapps, which is included in the \lib folder, patches the signature in a file to match the original issuer of the app and then copies the files into the APK.

In the case of API v2, Blackberry OS can not handle the API calls as they rely on the Maps implementation in Google Play Services apk. As Blackberry doesn't officially support Google Play Services, they don't either support Google Maps API v2. As a result of this, you will see an empty map in the app. The patcher detects, if API v2 is used in AndroidManifest and replaces the API v2 key so that it matches the new signature we use to sign the APK. It then patches availability/signature checks in the com/google/Android/gms/common part of the app so that Google Play Services are accepted as map source.

Finally, you must have Google Play Services installed, as it includes the Maps part for API v2. Also Google Play Services are pre-patched in the same way as the app (removed signature checks).

As Sally Mack stated, you can read the suggested thread to learn more about the deeper technical details.
    CyberMan2013 and dman2009 like this.
    03-23-14 05:14 AM
    Does this work with SNAP Quizup v1.0.3?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 01:05 PM
    You Can patch the App so that it doesn't ask for Google Play, but it has been reported, that you can't login.

Sent from my Q10 using CB Forums mobile app
    juanoblackcrack likes this.
    03-23-14 01:29 PM
    Thanks to Sally and Cobalt for providing answers to my questions.

I worked on some apps using guidance from the original thread that Sally sent me many months ago and wasn't successful. I was specifically trying to make Strava work. I couldn't find the maps line to edit be I think it was scrambled. I was actually able to make Strava work just by putting an original version of Google Play Services on my device. However, Strava worked very slow and choppy and other Android apps that worked fine before now continuously threw off the "Google Play Services have stopped working" error. So, I gave up.

Your tool makes it much easier for anyone to fix an app and remove the dependencies. I mean, wow! I patched Strava and install it and the Google Services file from the output folder. It pretty much works like a Native app now. Tested it today on a ride and was very, VERY impressed. Best of all, the other, non-patched apps didn't seem affected by the modified Google Play Services app.

So, what did you do to the Google Play Services file to make it work properly? My understanding is that a big part of that file is to serve advertising data back to Google so they can sell it. Does your patch stop that activity from happening?

Also, I'm a bit of a security nut so I'm wondering if patching banking apps or PayPal would create any risks. Would the patch break any of the built in security in these apps? I guess I have the same question for the patched Google Play Services file.

Lastly, do you guys have a donation site or anything like that? Or do you just do this for fun/hobby?

Thanks!
    03-23-14 04:33 PM
    I'm happy to hear that it works as expected.

The Google Play services version I used requires only one method to be patched. It's the one where it checks the availability and the signature of the package. This method can be found in the file anv.smali. This is what the replaced method looks like:

.method public static a(ILandroid/content/contextI
    .locals 1
    .param p0, "context"
    .prologue
    const/4 v0, 0x0
    Return v0
    .end method

Google Play Services has several features that developers can use to reduce effort in programming their apps. You may want to check this site to get a full understanding of the possibilities and dependencies.
    Google Play Services | Android Developers

I tried to patch the latest versions of Google Play Services, but failed because the package doesn't recompile correctly. Some (missing) obfuscated methods are throwing errors and the package will constantly crash. The only way to fix that is a newer version of APKTool. The patcher currently uses APKTool 2.0.0.9beta do decompile and rebuild the app and it still has some flaws.

Patching apps will not break security features of any app and the patcher doesn't inject any malicious code. You can verify the changed smali files after a patching process. Turn on debug mode and the patched files will left in \temp folder for you to view.

And to your last question: I developed those tools (GMaps Patcher, Snap Installer, Android Logger) because I needed them myself. It was always clear to me that I would share my work with the community for free. Of course, If anyone out there would offer me a few bucks for my work I would not refuse :-) So if I get 10 people to ask for a donate button, I will be happy to add one.
    delroyj likes this.
    03-23-14 05:28 PM
    I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions for you in the future.

As for the donation link. You should definitely put one up. I think your efforts need to be rewarded. You easily could have kept all of these fixes to yourself and we really appreciate the sharing. It's fixes like this that make the platform more "mainstream" and hopefully will get more people over to BlackBerry.

The direct .apk capabilities added with the 10.2.1 upgrade helped me keep a couple of people on the platform. Your methods for fixing maps and GP dependencies just makes the entire experience better. Strava now works and a few apps we use for finding EV charging stations now properly display all the tags. My Zillow app also shows my location accurately now. The patched apps also seem faster. I'm assuming this is because the app is no longer wasting time looking for Google Play Services. Bravo!

Thanks again!
    03-23-14 06:34 PM
    I'm happy to hear that it works as expected.

And to your last question: I developed those tools (GMaps Patcher, Snap Installer, Android Logger) because I needed them myself. It was always clear to me that I would share my work with the community for free. Of course, If anyone out there would offer me a few bucks for my work I would not refuse :-) So if I get 10 people to ask for a donate button, I will be happy to add one.
    Add a donate button, would love to donate for your efforts.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 06:52 PM
    Cobalt232

Yes, you should definitely add donate button. Appreciate your efforts and quick response

Posted via awesome Z30 thru CB10
    03-23-14 08:25 PM
    Add donate button.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 12:44 AM
    I cant stress enough the amount of time and frustration these tools you've developed have saved me. I'd be happy to buy you a beer or two (or whatever they drink in Switzerland ).
    03-24-14 02:05 PM
    I cant stress enough the amount of time and frustration these tools you've developed have saved me. I'd be happy to buy you a beer or two (or whatever they drink in Switzerland ).
    :-) A beer would be great! And we drink something I'm sure you would not like: Appenzeller
    03-24-14 02:10 PM
    I added a small donate button in the first post. As mentioned before, I love to share my work with you my friends, so I'm not expecting anything in return. But feel free to make a small donation (with your donation, I'm going to invite my wife for dinner to keep her calm) :-)

Thank you all for your support!
    03-24-14 03:01 PM
    i have snap 2.0.0.2 now and every time i download "weride" app i cant find the apk file anywhere on my phone

Edit: just popped up after a restart lol ops
    Last edited by omarha; 03-27-14 at 01:15 AM.
    03-27-14 12:44 AM
    thanks for making this dude, got it to work now !! team blackberry power
    03-27-14 01:42 AM
    thanks for making this dude, got it to work now !! team blackberry power
    Nice to hear it worked!
    03-27-14 03:25 AM
    Hi Cobalt232, is your app what I need to load to fix the issue I have in this thread?

Thanks
    03-27-14 08:06 AM
    Hi Cobalt232, is your app what I need to load to fix the issue I have in this thread?

Thanks
    This patcher will do one piece of the puzzle. It seems that the app wants to reference a Google account as well as Google play services. Some have managed to get the google account piece working for some apps in another thread.

This is your best chance of getting that app to work:

1. Download the package found in the post linked below.

2. Install the google play services, Google login services, and Gmail apk's from that package on to your phone.

3. Login to your Gmail account via the Gmail app you've now installed on your phone.

4. Patch the garmin smartphone apk using cobalt's patcher from this thread.

5. Install the patched apk, and cross your fingers you don't get any annoying error messages.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-an...ml#post9453720
    machinist73 and kfroese like this.
    03-27-14 08:19 AM
    Yikes!
    I think I'll give it a miss and wait and see what happens in the future with Google integration on BB 10.

Thanks
    03-27-14 08:43 AM
    Yikes!
    I think I'll give it a miss and wait and see what happens in the future with Google integration on BB 10.

Thanks
    No need to wait. Install the package below and you are ready to go. Just tested it on my Q10.
    Google Login Services
    03-27-14 09:56 AM
    Yikes!

Thanks
    Edit: or just use cobalt's package one post above
    03-27-14 10:14 AM
    No need to wait. Install the package below and you are ready to go. Just tested it on my Q10.
    Google Login Services
    So I just install that .apk? No loading of Snap or anything else?
    03-27-14 02:48 PM
4,042 ... 23456 ...