How can I install Android OS on my Passport?
    kosar nawzad likes this.
    04-10-15 10:58 AM
    Can't be done sadly.

Unlike some of the other smartphone manufactures out there, BlackBerry dictates what you can do with their hardware. So you are left with whatever BlackBerry gives you. I for one really wish we could unlock the boot loader and install different operating systems on BlackBerry hardware, the PlayBook with KitKat would be pretty awesome for example, but you really never own a BlackBerry device.
    If you do a Google search you will find an install file that will wipe BB10 off of your Passport and install Android OS.

Posted via CB10
    anon(1852343), chgaida and Hazo like this.
    04-10-15 11:01 AM
    You have to root it first . . . and install cwm recovery.. im running cm12 on my z10 now..
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    04-10-15 12:47 PM
    If you do a Google search you will find an install file that will wipe BB10 off of your Passport and install Android OS.
    Hilarious thread aside, do you still think you're getting voLTE on Verizon with your Z30?
    04-10-15 12:55 PM
    Can't be done sadly.

Unlike some of the other smartphone manufactures out there, BlackBerry dictates what you can do with their hardware. So you are left with whatever BlackBerry gives you. I for one really wish we could unlock the boot loader and install different operating systems on BlackBerry hardware, the PlayBook with KitKat would be pretty awesome for example, but you really never own a BlackBerry device.
    04-10-15 01:03 PM
    Hilarious thread aside, do you still think you're getting voLTE on Verizon with your Z30?
    Seems so.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    04-10-15 08:26 PM
    Can't be done sadly.

I disagree. A BlackBerry device is exactly what you own.

Posted via CB10
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-10-15 08:28 PM
    I disagree. A BlackBerry device is exactly what you own.

Posted via CB10
    Your definition of hardware ownership isn't the same as mine... Ownership of something usually means that you can do what you want with it. So can you do what you want with BlackBerry hardware or do you only get to do what BlackBerry allows you to do?

I can take my Nexus 4, Nexus 5, OnePlus One and all of the other Android devices I own and install different software on to them. The Nexus devices I've owned have ran Jolla Sailfish, Ubuntu and even my own custom built ROMs from AOSP. I OWN that hardware. I can do what I want with it, that's how I know that I do in fact own it.

I'm also free to change the operating system on my personal computers. I have a laptop that was made by Samsung, but I'm still able to swith the OS to Linux if I want. Samsung isn't dictating what I run on MY hardware.

Clearly, owning a device like a Nexus or a PC is different than owning a BlackBerry. You may have paid money for the BlackBerry hardware and you may physically possess it, but daddy BlackBerry is in control of it. They have the say, not you. So how can you truly own the hardware if you can't even change the software that runs on it?

I would love to remove the Tablet OS that is no longer being supported and install KitKat on to a PlayBook. The hardware is more than capable of running KitKat, but can I do that? Nope, because I don't really own that hardware.
    04-10-15 08:58 PM
    Your definition of hardware ownership isn't the same as mine...
    Obviously.
    Of course you own it. You own exactly what you bought - a hardware device tied to a specific OS. That what you are buying when you purchase a BlackBerry, and that's what you own. No surprise either - you know what you are buying.

In your eyes, unless something is made easy to hack, you don't own it. So we just disagree. That's okay.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    04-10-15 09:39 PM
    Obviously.
    Of course you own it. You own exactly what you bought - a hardware device tied to a specific OS. That what you are buying when you purchase a BlackBerry, and that's what you own. No surprise either - you know what you are buying.

In your eyes, unless something is made easy to hack, you don't own it. So we just disagree. That's okay.

Posted via CB10
    Its not about hacking at all. It is about using the hardware you paid for as you see fit. If you own the hardware, you should have control over it. Not the manufacturer of the hardware.

The OP of this thread wants Android on the hardware that he allegedly owns yet has no control over that. It can't be done simply because the real owner of that hardware has decided not to allow it. In my opinion, that isn't truly owning hardware.

Hardware manufacturers should make and sell the device and then let you, the owner, use it as you choose. Most manufacturers do do that, but BlackBerry doesn't.

That right there is the main reason I won't buy or recommend BlackBerry 10 devices. The PlayBook taught me that depending on BlackBerry for software updates is scary.

To the OP, sorry, but you're stuck with BB10 for better or worse. Hopefully Chen keeps it around for a while.
    04-10-15 10:30 PM
    Yep, that's what most buyers are looking for: devices they can root and install their own OSes on. BB is missing out here. And Apple? They must be totally clueless.
    04-10-15 10:34 PM
    Its not about hacking at all. It is about using the hardware you paid for as you see fit. If you own the hardware, you should have control over it. Not the manufacturer of the hardware.
    Of course you own it. You can sell it, or even throw it in the garbage (recycle) if you wish, and you can do whatever you want with it within the limits of your abilities. You buy it, and you get exactly what you paid for. No one can take it from you - you have your receipt. Your ability to modify it is another matter.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-15 10:47 PM
    Yep, that's what most buyers are looking for: devices they can root and install their own OSes on. BB is missing out here. And Apple? They must be totally clueless.
    It is exactly what the OP of this thread is looking for though isn't it???

Most smartphone buyers are looking for anything that isn't BB10. Even people who buy BB10 devices are looking for ways of not using BB10. Kinda crazy isn't it?

I'm the same way actually. I'd own a Classic or Passport by now if it weren't for BB10 being stuck on them.

Oh and you can't forget, over 50 million people have done pretty much exactly what you described. CyanogenMod has 50 million user who rooted their phone and changed the OS. That's just one custom ROM. How many BlackBerry users are there again?

I think you'd be surprised to learn how many people enjoy having full control over the hardware they pay for.
    04-10-15 10:51 PM
    Of course you own it. You can sell it, or even throw it in the garbage (recycle) if you wish, and you can do whatever you want with it within the limits of your abilities. You buy it, and you get exactly what you paid for. No one can take it from you - you have your receipt. Your ability to modify it is another matter.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure you know that I'm not talking about legally owning it or having the ability to sell it.

For me, it would kind of be like buying a house and then having the company who built the house pick out all of your furniture and then telling you that you can only use the furniture they've gave you.

I'm talking about ownership as in having full control. Again, I'm sure you realized that though.
    04-10-15 11:00 PM
    I'm sure you know that I'm not talking about legally owning it or having the ability to sell it.
    Oh good.

For me, it would kind of be like buying a house and then having the company who built the house pick out all of your furniture and then telling you that you can only use the furniture they've gave you.
    For me, not even remotely similar. Now if there was a house where the furniture was built in, and was difficult or even impossible to alter, I probably wouldn't buy it. But if I did, I would be buying it with full knowledge of such, and would own it fully. But a Phone is not a house, and I change my phone every year or two. I buy and own the phone I want, as I did with my homes. If you want one that can be rooted, that's the phone you buy. You have your own definition of ownership. That's okay - whatever floats your boat.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-15 11:14 PM
    Most smartphone buyers are looking for anything that isn't BB10. Even people who buy BB10 devices are looking for ways of not using BB10. Kinda crazy isn't it?
    I agree with your first sentence, sure. But are most of these smartphone buyers looking for/buying something that they end up modifying in the way of putting a non-stock ROM on? And are you suggesting that the number of users "who buy BB10 devices [and] are looking for ways of not using BB10" is not just you and the anonymous OP, but at a critical mass or any statistically significant percentage? If so, what's your source for that?

Oh and you can't forget, over 50 million people have done pretty much exactly what you described. CyanogenMod has 50 million user who rooted their phone and changed the OS. That's just one custom ROM. How many BlackBerry users are there again?
    50 million sounds impressive...without context. How many devices are CyanogenMod ROMs available for? How many of the 50 million installs are on the OPO whose owners had it pre-installed (and might be regretting it now, like in India--but I digress) and like the majority of not only smartphone owners but even Android owners they didn't bother getting rid of it for a non-stock ROM?

What percentage of Android devices is that 50 million? And how much has CyanogenMod invested in hardware manufacturing--or any of the other custom ROM makers? In fact, how many of them do anything with hardware manufacturing, or in general, anything but make non-stock ROMs?

TL;DR: you (and the OP, seemingly) are part of a niche.
    04-11-15 01:20 AM
    LOL April 1st was a few days ago, but I agree that there should be mischief to be had every day.
    04-11-15 01:52 AM

TL;DR: you (and the OP, seemingly) are part of a niche.
    True, no doubt about that. We are part of a tiny niche, though that niche is still larger than the one that still buys BlackBerry devices. So who knows, maybe having that ability would help BlackBerry sell some more hardware. I can't see how it would it hurt.

The OP and I certainly aren't the only folks out there that would like to put a different OS on BlackBerry hardware.
    04-11-15 09:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    Did the Google search but did not find it. Anybody a link and a step by step tutorial ?
    04-19-15 12:50 PM
    Did the Google search but did not find it. Anybody a link and a step by step tutorial ?
    That was a joke. It doesn't actually exist.

To add to the overall thread however. If you're buying a Blackberry and want to customize it, you're doing the wrong thing.

People who want to root and run custom roms will in fact buy devices who let them do so.

Would some people buy a Passport or Classic chassis to install Android on? Yeah, maybe.

But when an Android user, who loves and Android, and customizes Android looks to get a new phone, their first thought is not "hmm, let's see what Blackberry has"

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 01:09 PM
    Please say step-by-step process. I want to install android os in my BlackBerry Z10
    09-25-15 08:46 PM
    Your definition of hardware ownership isn't the same as mine... Ownership of something usually means that you can do what you want with it. So can you do what you want with BlackBerry hardware or do you only get to do what BlackBerry allows you to do?

I can take my Nexus 4, Nexus 5, OnePlus One and all of the other Android devices I own and install different software on to them. The Nexus devices I've owned have ran Jolla Sailfish, Ubuntu and even my own custom built ROMs from AOSP. I OWN that hardware. I can do what I want with it, that's how I know that I do in fact own it.

I'm also free to change the operating system on my personal computers. I have a laptop that was made by Samsung, but I'm still able to swith the OS to Linux if I want. Samsung isn't dictating what I run on MY hardware.

Clearly, owning a device like a Nexus or a PC is different than owning a BlackBerry. You may have paid money for the BlackBerry hardware and you may physically possess it, but daddy BlackBerry is in control of it. They have the say, not you. So how can you truly own the hardware if you can't even change the software that runs on it?

I would love to remove the Tablet OS that is no longer being supported and install KitKat on to a PlayBook. The hardware is more than capable of running KitKat, but can I do that? Nope, because I don't really own that hardware.
    So, you are saying no one owns their apple hardware either right?

How about your microwave oven, own it? You can't change the way it operates or upgrade it to call you when your food is cooked

How about your sneakers? Can you change the size when your foot grows?

Lame argument. People buying a BlackBerry would know you can't install other software on it.

Back to your pc example, can you install ios9 on it? Can you change the bios of the motherboard to that of a different manufacturer?

Nice try to be a basher

Posted via CB10
    ryanza, raino and bakkenstrong like this.
    09-25-15 08:58 PM
    Please say step-by-step process. I want to install android os in my BlackBerry Z10
    You can't do it. Like I already said, daddy BlackBerry won't allow the switching of operating systems to happen on their hardware. Your Z10 is stuck with whatever BlackBerry decides to give it. So your best bet would probably be to sell the Z10 for however much you can get and then buy a Android device.
    pat-wallace likes this.
    09-25-15 09:58 PM
    Hi,
    Please tell me how did you install cm12 in bb z10?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    11-10-15 11:36 AM
    Hi,
    Please tell me how did you install cm12 in bb z10?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    you can't
    11-10-15 11:45 AM
41 12