For anyone looking for a supplement, or replacement for BBM, Telegram is the way to go. The official app is in Snap, while a developers version is in Amazon store.

Always Free, No ads, rock solid security, and a Secret Chat mode featuring end-to-end encryption based on 256-bit symmetric AES encryption, RSA 2048 encryption and Diffie-Hellman secure key exchange.

https://telegram.org/faq#q-what-is-t...t-do-i-do-here

Latest Android version is 1.9.7

Here's a Better, More Secure, Messaging App - Telegram-img_20141102_155607.png

By the way, I'm just a fan. Not affiliated in any way with them.

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Z3 running BlackBerry 10 - 2BBEAACF
    Last edited by jefbeard911; 11-02-14 at 03:15 AM.
    11-02-14 02:58 AM
    How do you know its more secure than BBM? I'm not talking about their description- I am talking about facts. AFAIK telegram is from russia...so here we go

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 03:01 AM
    How do you know its more secure than BBM? I'm not talking about their description- I am talking about facts. AFAIK telegram is from russia...so here we go

Posted via CB10
    And just where do we get these facts then?

Unless you are on the BlackBerry engineering team that developed BBM you have to rely on written information and user reviews like me

It's common knowledge that BBM doesn't use end-to-end encryption and relies on a Global shared key, which is less secure that unique keys.

http://vowe.net/archives/014420.html

If you don't like Telegram simply because the two founders are Russian (who incidentally are headquartered in Germany) that's up to you. The link above to their FAQ should answer a lot and it has links to other things of interest for advanced, crypto people that understand those things as well.

Like I said, I'm just a fan of their app. Choose to use it or not. No worries.

11-02-14 03:15 AM
    And just where do we get these facts then?

Unless you are on the BlackBerry engineering team that developed BBM you have to rely on written information.

It's common knowledge that BBM doesn't use end-to-end encryption and relies on a Global shared key, which is less secure that unique keys.

If you don't like Telegram simply because the two founders are Russian, then it's not worth debating this. The link above to their FAQ should answer a lot and it has links to other things of interest for advanced, crypto people that understand those things as well.

11-02-14 03:16 AM
    Good thing Telegram now supports BlackBerry 10. I had it installed on my iPhone long time ago after it was released but I removed it after a week of use due to lack of support for other devices. Yes, it is avery secured messaging app and been tested.

sent from whatever device I get my hands on via Tapatalk
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    11-02-14 03:21 AM
    And just where do we get these facts then? Unless you are on the BlackBerry engineering team that developed BBM you have to rely on written information.

If you don't like Telegram simply because the two founders are Russian, then it's not worth debating this. The link above to their FAQ should answer a lot and it has links to other things of interest for advanced, crypto people that understand those things as well.

No, not because they are Russian- because I trust more a Company like BlackBerry then 2 Developers with servers in Russia where the Internet is a little bit 'controlled'. Thats why I mentioned Russia. Nothing against Russia or Russian people.

Oh, and they can write what they want in their FAQ- how do you know its true anyway?!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 03:21 AM
    No, not because they are Russian- because I trust more a Company like BlackBerry then 2 Developers with servers in Russia where the Internet is a little bit 'controlled'. Thats why I mentioned Russia. Nothing against Russia or Russian people.

Oh, and they can write what they want in their FAQ- how do you know its true anyway?!

Posted via CB10
    You have a point. Be careful what you click for. Like what being said, think before you click.

Cheers!

sent from whatever device I get my hands on via Tapatalk
    Q10Bold and pankaler like this.
    11-02-14 03:28 AM
    No, not because they are Russian- because I trust more a Company like BlackBerry then 2 Developers with servers in Russia where the Internet is a little bit 'controlled'. Thats why I mentioned Russia.

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough.

You're right. They can write what they want, just like BlackBerry can.

For what it's worth, they're crypto source is open and publicly available. They also offer $200,000 to anyone who can hack into their messaging system. That's good enough for me.

11-02-14 03:28 AM
    Fair enough.

You're right. They can write what they want, just like BlackBerry can.

For what it's worth, they're crypto source is open and publicly available. They also offer $200,000 to anyone who can hack into their messaging system. That's good enough for me.

Wow I think BlackBerry should do something like that offering money sure shows something

If whatsapp would offer money they would be bankrupt by now lol

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    11-02-14 03:49 AM
    Yo, OP.
    You sure you're not working for telegram?
    Tell them to develop native version for us just like how whatsapp devs did.
    And the WA devs are more than happy to answer questions themselves to make BlackBerry users enjoy the services they gave..

With due diligence from my Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1016
    11-02-14 04:16 AM
    They also offer $200,000 to anyone who can hack into their messaging system. That's good enough for me.
    You are right- it looks good, but it doesnt proof anything.

For what it's worth, they're crypto source is open and publicly available.
    Thats better. I like open source(open source can be good but in the same way bad).
    The problem here is still the server side. Like I've said: you dont know what happens with your chat/history/contacts/files etc.

EDIT: I dont say Telegram is a bad app. You can use it. But Enterprise won't and can't trust this kind of devs.
    For the consumer Telegram looks more saver than regular BBM. But behind BBM there is BlackBerry and BlackBerrys NOC. Behind Telegram- ??!! Yeah, right. Nobody knows!
    11-02-14 04:25 AM
    It still doesn't integrate the hub so,whatsapp still the best alternative with a native BlackBerry 10. You need to keep the app running to receive the messages tho

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 04:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    Telegram doesnt save your keys in secret chat mode. BBM saves (except BBM protect).

Servers are in Germany. The app was created to fight against government control of putin.

And is a open-source project.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    11-02-14 05:42 AM
    I've been doing a lot of reading and searching for secure alternatives to Whatsapp and other privacy-invasive messaging apps, and came across these two articles on Telegram. I'm no expert, but they're both very critical of Telegram's cryptography. Telegram has responded a few times, so there's still a lot of back-and-forth discussion going on (almost 1 year).

Telegram, AKA ?Stand back, we have Math PhDs!? ? Unhandled expression

Crypto Fails ? Telegram's Cryptanalysis Contest

Enjoy, nerds!
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    11-02-14 06:14 AM
    Telegram is a joke telling it secure and aborad . It a Russian Messaging app made in Moskou. The contest is also a joke read this
    11-02-14 07:05 AM
    Telegram is a joke telling it secure and aborad . It a Russian Messaging app made in Moskou. The contest is also a joke read this
    Do you read entire article and comments?
    11-02-14 08:02 AM
    Yo, OP.
    You sure you're not working for telegram?
    Tell them to develop native version for us just like how whatsapp devs did.
    And the WA devs are more than happy to answer questions themselves to make BlackBerry users enjoy the services they gave..

With due diligence from my Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1016
    There is a native app, or, there was. I can't find it in BB World anymore, but I have installed on my phone.

11-02-14 08:28 AM
    A couple things,

First, what's the problem with Russians? Still fighting the Cold War, aye?

Anyway..More importantly. I read your link. He seems to think their crypto is very bad and needs to be redone. Fair enough.

Did you read who this guy is? I did.

He runs a company that " provides an inexpensive security auditing service". So he'll fix your crappy crypto for a fee. Huh,? So he tells you how bad you are, then offers to fix it for a price..Good source!

Form his website:

You might also be interested in my other websites, Defuse Security and CrackStation
    Want to make sure your code never ends up on Crypto Fails? I provide an inexpensive security auditing service, with discounts for free software!

11-02-14 08:45 AM
    I would trust it more if they charged a monthly fee for the service.

I'm always weary of anything that's "always free". Nothing is free.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:03 AM
    I would trust it more if they charged a monthly fee for the service.

I'm always weary of anything that's "always free". Nothing is free.

Posted via CB10
    well, whatsapp is paid and BBM is free.
    11-02-14 09:19 AM
    well, whatsapp is paid and BBM is free.
    Has anyone actually ever paid the 99 cents for Whatsapp?

And BBM is not really free, as it is subsidized by the revenue BlackBerry generates from other sources (hardware, BES, BlackBerry World, and now stickers and sponsored posts).

We know Google and Facebook provide free services and android in exchange for ad revenue. BOX, Dropbox, etc offer premium subscriptions that are used to offset the cost of the limited free accounts. Microsoft directly charges for Office 365. BlackBerry charges for their hardware, services and soon you will be able to buy premium features for BBM.

The problem is when a service promises to be free, and it is not clear how they intend to keep paying for their operational costs. Are they secretly data mining, are they fully funded by venture capitalists, a government, or some other entity? Hardly does someone hand out funding without expecting something in return.

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell likes this.
    11-02-14 09:56 AM
    Its interface looks the same as whatsapp!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:58 AM
    Has anyone actually ever paid the 99 cents for Whatsapp?

And BBM is not really free, as it is subsidized by the revenue BlackBerry generates from other sources (hardware, BES, BlackBerry World, and now stickers and sponsored posts).

We know Google and Facebook provide free services and android in exchange for ad revenue. BOX, Dropbox, etc offer premium subscriptions that are used to offset the cost of the limited free accounts. Microsoft directly charges for Office 365. BlackBerry charges for their hardware, services and soon you will be able to buy premium features for BBM.

The problem is when a service promises to be free, and it is not clear how they intend to keep paying for their operational costs. Are they secretly data mining, are they fully funded by venture capitalists, a government, or some other entity? Hardly does someone hand out funding without expecting something in return.

Posted via CB10
    "Pavel Durov, who shares our vision, supplied Telegram with a generous donation through his Digital Fortress fund, so we have quite enough money for the time being. If Telegram runs out, we'll invite our users to donate or add non-essential paid options."

About data ming in Box, Dropbox etc, you cant affirm without evidence. It is dishonest.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    11-02-14 12:13 PM
    "Pavel Durov, who shares our vision, supplied Telegram with a generous donation through his Digital Fortress fund, so we have quite enough money for the time being. If Telegram runs out, we'll invite our users to donate or add non-essential paid options."

About data ming in Box, Dropbox etc, you cant affirm without evidence. It is dishonest.
    I didn't say anything regarding data mining in Box, Drop box, etc.

But the information you provided supports my concerns. Who is Pavel Durov, and can he be trusted? Also what does "quite enough money for the time being" mean? I would rather them be clear from the outset that they will operate based on donations and/or charged add-ons,.. or simply say that after a certain trial period they will start charging. If it is that good and people adopt it, then why not? Just adds to its legitimacy and ensures it can operate indefinitely.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 01:30 PM
    I didn't say anything regarding data mining in Box, Drop box, etc.

But the information you provided supports my concerns. Who is Pavel Durov, and can he be trusted? Also what does "quite enough money for the time being" mean? I would rather them be clear from the outset that they will operate based on donations and/or charged add-ons,.. or simply say that after a certain trial period they will start charging. If it is that good and people adopt it, then why not? Just adds to its legitimacy and ensures it can operate indefinitely.

Posted via CB10
    Pavel Durov is like Zuckerberg. He helped create a big social network in Russia (vkontakte) and later sold all his shares. In 2011, Putin government requested him to take the site down but he refused (source: https://twitter.com/durov/status/144775176742113281).

Well, I understand you. Cold war, space race, spying, james bond etc.

If you want to know a bit more: How Putin's cronies seized control of Russia's Facebook | The Verge
    11-02-14 05:36 PM
29 12