Now I'm not sure whether this workaround is widely known about, but I have been using Google Maps now for quite some time on my Q10, and always upgrading to the latest version periodically.

How to do it:

1. Download and install Ghost Commander from BlackBerry World. It's a 3rd party file manager for your phone.

2. Open up Ghost Commander once installed.

3. Find Google Maps within the directory of Ghost Commander, and press and hold down on the Google Maps icon.

4. A new window will appear with the option to 'Launch' the app. Click this.

5. Google Maps will now open, and you should not get any errors or closure of the app. It should work a treat

I hope this information is useful to someone.
    m1kr0 likes this.
    01-31-14 12:04 PM
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing it.
    chris8189 likes this.
    01-31-14 02:20 PM
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing it.
    No problem. I just wanted to help the community. Sticky this thread if you like.
    02-01-14 09:35 AM
    Now I'm not sure whether this workaround is widely known about, but I have been using Google Maps now for quite some time on my Q10, and always upgrading to the latest version periodically.

How to do it:

1. Download and install Ghost Commander from BlackBerry World. It's a 3rd party file manager for your phone.

2. Open up Ghost Commander once installed.

3. Find Google Maps within the directory of Ghost Commander, and press and hold down on the Google Maps icon.

4. A new window will appear with the option to 'Launch' the app. Click this.

5. Google Maps will now open, and you should not get any errors or closure of the app. It should work a treat

I hope this information is useful to someone.

What exactly is this good for? On 10.2.1 Google maps can be installed as APK from Snap or any other source without using any 3rd party tools. It works out of the box. Together with googlelogin services you can even log in and see your starred places.

Are you on an old OS release?
    ami.one likes this.
    02-01-14 09:43 AM
    What exactly is this good for? On 10.2.1 Google maps can be installed as APK from Snap or any other source without using any 3rd party tools. It works out of the box. Together with googlelogin services you can even log in and see your starred places.

Are you on an old OS release?
    I'm on 10.2.1.1925 (leaked version), and I think you'll find that if you download and install Google Maps, from let's say, Snap, and open up the app, it crashes. Whereby if you open it up using Ghost Commander, it doesn't crash.
    02-01-14 10:59 AM
    I'm on 10.2.1.1925 (leaked version), and I think you'll find that if you download and install Google Maps, from let's say, Snap, and open up the app, it crashes. Whereby if you open it up using Ghost Commander, it doesn't crash.
    I have a Q10 with 10.2.1.1925 and there are no crashes with Google Maps (v7.5.0). But if it solves your problem... ;-)
    02-01-14 11:12 AM
    Google Maps is the only app I've downloaded so far using Snap and it has worked flawlessly each time I've used it.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:18 AM
    Yep, OP is the only one with a problem with Google Maps. It has worked for ages.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:21 AM
    Strange. It's always crashed on me when opening it up conventionally.
    02-01-14 02:56 PM
    I downloaded Google Maps from Snap and installed it. It does not crash but when i try to get the app to navigate to my current location it asks me to install google play and google services. However, even after installing these two apps, it still cannot pinpoint my current location. Navigation from on specified location to another location works perfectly though. Can anyone suggest how to resolve this issue?
    02-02-14 06:09 AM
    For me, it won't let me login I'm going to try this.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 06:25 AM
    Mine works beautifully since leak.

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10. For a regular dose of Quotes, subscribe C001190A9 .
    02-02-14 06:31 AM
    It still will not let me sign in.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 06:35 AM
    It still will not let me sign in.

Posted via CB10
    Download this package and install ONLY GoogleLoginServices. Then open Google Maps and sign in from there.
    Do NOT sign in directly from the app that is called Google Account!
    Do NOT install GooglePlayServices if you want to login to Google Maps

Download here
    02-02-14 07:49 AM
    Thanks for the link for the files. Installed google login service and googlemaps from the package. However the app keeps asking for google play services whenever i try to get it to navigate to my location. Any suggestions?
    Do i need to install Google play store from the package?
    Appreciate your help!

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 01:30 PM
    Download this package and install ONLY GoogleLoginServices. Then open Google Maps and sign in from there.
    Do NOT sign in directly from the app that is called Google Account!
    Do NOT install GooglePlayServices if you want to login to Google Maps

Download here
    Thanks for the link for the files. Installed google login service and googlemaps from the package. However the app keeps asking for google play services whenever i try to get it to navigate to my location. Any suggestions?
    Appreciate your help!

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 01:32 PM
    Appreciate your help!

Posted via CB10
    The issue with Google Play and Google Login is that they can not work together. So it's either one or the other.
    02-02-14 01:55 PM
    The issue with Google Play and Google Login is that they can not work together. So it's either one or the other.
    I have only Google login installed but it keeps asking me to install Google Play Services.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 02:50 PM
    I have only Google login installed but it keeps asking me to install Google Play Services.

Posted via CB10
    Normally it asks just once. You can then say ignore and it will not pop up anymore. Furthermore you should use Ghost Commander and deactivate notifications for Google Maps.
    02-02-14 03:17 PM
    I've never tried logging in when I'm using Google Maps. Stangely enough for me, it always crashes when I open the app the conventional way, however using Ghost Commander and launching the app from within there, it works a treat. I never have any reason to log in though.
    02-03-14 11:36 AM