Ok, it took a bit longer than I expected but I believe that I found a good way to solve the installer invoking problem.

So here we have a new build 6, as a public test.

Google Play Store 5.1.11 build6

Changelog:
    • Fix to prevent Google Play store from giving random apk names that later can't be handled.
    • New downloader invoking code, that verifies if an app has already been downloaded to device\downloads. If yes, Installation will be invoked instead of re-download. A version check assures, that newer version still will be downloaded.
    • New notification code. After a successfull download, the screen will turn on for a few secs and the notification will be shown. If you click it, you are taken to the apps info window from where you can invoke the installer.

I implemented only little error handling, but it should work as expected. Please download some apps and report, if the new invoking code works for you. Feedback is welcome.

This is for OS 10.3.x only!
    Working great! Just tried it out under 3 scenarios:
    1)Begin download, turn off screen. Result: Screen turns on, notification available in HUB. Once read/invoked, taken to PlayStore and once install is selected, installer is invoked from download folder
    2)PlayStore downloaded automatically one APK, as setting to download in WiFi was reset. Result: Once downloaded, the APK was invoked for install. Now, because I had to update many apps, it seemed like it waited until I finished installing one before asking to install another, but I noticed that one download was "paused" when going back to PlayStore, as if it was waiting for something and after a minute or so, it finished downloading and invoked the installer. Not sure if some validation to avoid multiple installer invokes?
    3)Downloaded APK, closed PlayStore, reopen and invoked installer by selection the install button. Result: Installer invoked immediately due to the pre downloaded APK.

For item 2, I would explore using the "Update All" feature, locking the phone and see if all APKs would be downloaded automatically (under a multiple app scenario) or if this "wait" time would delay each after installing another. Right now I don't have more updates so I can continue testing this scenario. Hope some one read this before trying and make a proper test =)

Attached a screen shot of the "paused" download, before it restarted after a minute, PlayStore app was functional 100%, but download was not advancing.
    Google Play Store for BlackBerry 10 [OUTDATED]-img_20150205_190622.png

Posted via CB10
    noemi-abril likes this.
    02-05-15 07:16 PM
    It won't let me install. Just says unable to install

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 07:33 PM
    Never mind, got it to work

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 07:34 PM
    Awesome, thanks a lot Cobalt!

I tested it with one app and works just as described. I would like to make a couple of suggestions / requests though:

- The random apk name was not good but not appending anything is not good either because the idea is to leave the apk's there so they do not need to be re-downloaded, then the next upgrade will think the file is already there and try to re-install the old version, no?. Wouldn't it be better to append the version? number so the re-download only happens if there's a new version, allowing you to maintain a library of apk's in case you need to downgrade...

- Would it be possible to put a setting somewhere so you can specify a different default download folder? You need to leave the apk's there for this new feature to work but then internal storage is a constrain and it clutters the download folder...

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 10:07 PM
    Ok, it took a bit longer than I expected but I believe that I found a good way to solve the installer invoking problem.

So here we have a new build 6, as a public test.

Google Play Store 5.1.11 build6

Changelog:
    • Fix to prevent Google Play store from giving random apk names that later can't be handled.
    • New downloader invoking code, that verifies if an app has already been downloaded to device\downloads. If yes, Installation will be invoked instead of re-download. A version check assures, that newer version still will be downloaded.
    • New notification code. After a successfull download, the screen will turn on for a few secs and the notification will be shown. If you click it, you are taken to the apps info window from where you can invoke the installer.

I implemented only little error handling, but it should work as expected. Please download some apps and report, if the new invoking code works for you. Feedback is welcome.

This is for OS 10.3.x only!
    Thanks a lot man..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-05-15 10:57 PM
    Awesome, thanks a lot Cobalt!

I tested it with one app and works just as described. I would like to make a couple of suggestions / requests though:

- The random apk name was not good but not appending anything is not good either because the idea is to leave the apk's there so they do not need to be re-downloaded, then the next upgrade will think the file is already there and try to re-install the old version, no?. Wouldn't it be better to append the version? number so the re-download only happens if there's a new version, allowing you to maintain a library of apk's in case you need to downgrade...

- Would it be possible to put a setting somewhere so you can specify a different default download folder? You need to leave the apk's there for this new feature to work but then internal storage is a constrain and it clutters the download folder...

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    The current solution checks the version of the existing apk file by reading the internal version code from Manifest. If the existing apk version is lower than the version on Playstore, the new version is downladed (old one gets overwritten).

Backing up older versions makes sense, but actually I just want to make Play Store work as good as possible without adding to much custom features.
    02-06-15 02:26 AM
    Every time I drag the cobalt apk files into my PlayBook app manager, I get a 'failure 500' 'package id'. What does that mean and is there a way to get it to download properly? This is becoming quite the headache.

Joshua

Posted via CB10
    I had problems like that when I downloaded my APK's from my Onedrive account. I knew they worked but now they weren't. I had to email them to myself and the saved the file then dragged it on the page to install. Worked fine again. For some reason the file extension is getting changed this causing the error. Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 02:30 AM
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 02:39 AM
    Great work Cobalt. Thanks for your efforts. Can you also kindly let us know if there is an update to Google Play Services installation process? I mean do you have the latest version of Google Play Services to run on BlackBerry 10?

Posted via CB10
    Iperzampem0 likes this.
    02-06-15 04:38 AM
    The new version works Great for me on my Z30 10.3.1.... much smoother download/update precess
    Thanks a lot Cobalt.
    And yeah I know you are busy in developing play store. But if you can look into post #1135 to 1138 here and find out why Garmin smart phone link in app purchase points to blackberry world purchase instead of play store. I have posted some screenshots as well. No hurry though.
    02-06-15 11:36 AM
    I've a q5 and it says "unfortunately, it has stopped" what's wrong?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 11:38 AM
    Hey cobalt, I don't know how hard this is but could you make a play store build 6 that doesn't save apk's.

Thanks

Posted via CB10: Z10, PlayBook 64GB
    02-06-15 12:18 PM
    When I first try to download an app it says "unfortunately, it has stopped"!

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 01:39 AM
    Are you on OS 10.2?
    02-07-15 01:52 AM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 02:11 AM
    Hey Cobalt I just uninstalled the play store cause I would get random start up and pop up of the play store when I never opened it. It was happening frequently. I had this problem with another android app called ES File Explorer. I got rid of that and I hasn't happened again till now. Thanks for any input you have. Not sure I need it anyway if I have snap right?

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 03:08 AM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    You can only use Build 4. Download it from the first post.
    02-07-15 03:42 AM
    Hey Cobalt I just uninstalled the play store cause I would get random start up and pop up of the play store when I never opened it. It was happening frequently. I had this problem with another android app called ES File Explorer. I got rid of that and I hasn't happened again till now. Thanks for any input you have. Not sure I need it anyway if I have snap right?

Posted via CB10
    Just turn off autoupdate in Playstore options. The store fetches updates automatically even if it is not running. If you turn Autoupdate off, you'll just get the notification, but the download will not start unless you confirm it in the PlayStore's update section. And well, Snap or Play Store - That's almost a religious question. Play Store is the original, Snap the copy.

Beside that, only with Play Store you actually purchase apps and you can purchase in-app content (gold, gems, pro-version)
    02-07-15 03:49 AM
    Hi cobalt. I'm not able to open the Google play store.... pls help me

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 04:33 AM
    Hi cobalt. I'm not able to open the Google play store.... pls help me

Posted via CB10
    Read post 1 and follow the instructions.
    02-07-15 05:23 AM
    Can you give me the link for build 4? Please, thank you

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 05:38 AM
    Fist post.
    02-07-15 05:46 AM
    Can you give me the link for build 4? Please, thank you

Posted via CB10
    You can only use Build 4. Download it from the first post.
    His first answer said the first post...

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 08:08 AM
    @cobalt the new version works as said. Now it doesn't download again the already downloaded app. Thanks man.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2072
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    02-07-15 08:25 AM
    Awesome
    02-07-15 11:05 AM
6,728 ... 4748495051 ...