So I downloaded Google Maps via Snap to my Passport, and it seems to be working without Google Services installed...

I have a full map, created a trip, it mapped it out, seems to be doing the nav thing. It knows where I am, told me my address, looking at my place from street view even though it had a popup that said it was having trouble connecting to maps, it seems to be working...

What am I missing?
    04-07-16 08:24 AM
    I had to use Cobalts google ID Sign in so that I could actually sign in with my Gmail account and have all my predefined routs show. The way you have it it's not connected to an account and won't let you.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 08:39 AM
    Yea I downloaded to see and it's running on my z30 with no play store installed. Did Google change their policy?
    Google Maps seems to be working...-img_20160407_094116.png

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 08:42 AM
    My Google map just got a black screen
    Google Maps seems to be working...-img_20160407_214402.png

Post via BlackBerry Q10 LTE
    04-07-16 08:45 AM
    Works fine, after removing cobalt's play services

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 09:33 AM
    I had to use Cobalts google ID Sign in so that I could actually sign in with my Gmail account and have all my predefined routs show. The way you have it it's not connected to an account and won't let you.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know what this means. I'm not signed in, but it works. Only once have I had a Google Services popup when I started Maps for the first time. Now it functions cleanly without popups.

I've never had play services, it asked me to sign in on the second boot, but I hit skip. Everything appears to be working fine. This is a fresh BB10 OS with the updated runtime on my Passport.

The first time it booted, it was a white screen with my blue dot location. I went to nearby attractions and made a route to a restaurant nearby. That worked, cancelled the route, now the screen is fully populated from the getgo. And every time I open maps now, it loads up right away, no issues.

It even recognizes that I have the Uber app installed.
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 04-07-16 at 09:58 AM.
    04-07-16 09:42 AM
    http://crackberry.com/google-and-bla...ftware-webinar

Perhaps the good relations lately has something to do with this.

 Q10 SQN100-5/10.3.2.2789 T-Mobile with Wi-Fi calling
    04-07-16 10:05 AM
    But app's that are require play services - not displaying Google maps(

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 10:21 AM
    I don't know what this means. I'm not signed in, but it works. Only once have I had a Google Services popup when I started Maps for the first time. Now it functions cleanly without popups.

I've never had play services, it asked me to sign in on the second boot, but I hit skip. Everything appears to be working fine. This is a fresh BB10 OS with the updated runtime on my Passport.

The first time it booted, it was a white screen with my blue dot location. I went to nearby attractions and made a route to a restaurant nearby. That worked, cancelled the route, now the screen is fully populated from the getgo. And every time I open maps now, it loads up right away, no issues.

It even recognizes that I have the Uber app installed.
    Have a good read:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=965257

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 11:16 AM
    Working fine. Just not logged in.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 11:43 AM
    I think I understand what is supposed to happen. Other Google apps like Fitness won't launch due to a lack of services. But Maps works great, and Maps is one of the main reasons I've been considering a move to Android or iOS.
    04-07-16 12:28 PM
    I think I understand what is supposed to happen. Other Google apps like Fitness won't launch due to a lack of services. But Maps works great, and Maps is one of the main reasons I've been considering a move to Android or iOS.
    Not necessary cause I use Google maps, Waze from the Google play store and also navfree and Mapswithme from BBW.

Hopefully you can weather it until September cause there is supposed to be a new Z30 style android phone by BlackBerry coming out. That should have much less question marks of the Priv regarding build quality for it will have not so many moving parts as the and vulnerable openings for dust and water. Looking forward to it.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 12:42 PM
    Hopefully you can weather it until September cause there is supposed to be a new Z30 style android phone by BlackBerry coming out. That should have much less question marks of the Priv regarding build quality for it will have not so many moving parts as the and vulnerable openings for dust and water. Looking forward to it.

Posted via CB10
    Really? Got a link to that announcement?

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2813
    04-07-16 03:18 PM
    Not necessary cause I use Google maps, Waze from the Google play store and also navfree and Mapswithme from BBW.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not weathering anything at this point. I'm pleased with BB10's Android runtime performance at the moment (it's working, and quickly). But once that degrades, once apps are limited to Android 5 or 6 and above, well, I'll have to switch.
    04-07-16 04:18 PM
    I cannot seem to download maps at all...either from snap or Google play...

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 12:51 AM
    I cannot seem to download maps at all...either from snap or Google play...

Posted via CB10
    You can always google search any Android app you want and download it then install. Just Google " GoogleMaps.APK "

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 07:42 AM
    Yeap....working for me. I downloaded and tried after reading this thread. There were no map data the first few times after I installed but then it works like a charm thereafter.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-16 02:07 AM
    Like what The_Passporter said, I was under the impression that Google Play Services was required (thus requiring Cobalt's patching method) to make it work fully. Other users who installed unpatched versions kept receiving pop-ups requiring Google Play Services.

Am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 10:58 AM