I'm getting frustrated with the fact that most fitness bands and smart watches won't work (or sometimes not very well) with BB10 devices, and I don't know why it's so hard.

I own a Pebble Steel, and it doesn't fully work. My wife had a Garmin Vivofit, and she couldn't use the app on her Z30.

She now has a Fitbit Charge, and it works after an upgrade to a leaked version of 10.3.1.

I now have a Microsoft Band, and my BlackBerry Passport successfully pairs with it via Bluetooth, but the app doesn't recognize the device. They don't communicate and I can't use the app or the band. I'll have to return it, although I think it's the best band on the market right now.

That's a 1 out of 4 record of success. I guess I could say 1.5 out of 4 since some of the Pebble Steel features work. But it's honestly not much fun knowing that I'm missing key functionality, like being able to see who's calling from my wrist.

I don't know it's been such a struggle to get certain apps, particularly those that support wearables, to work well on BB10. Bluetooth connectivity shouldn't be this hard.

Anyone know of a way to get the Microsoft Band to work with Passport? I had hoped that an upgrade to 10.3.2 would do the trick, but it didn't. PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.281.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 02:49 PM
    There isn't any standard wearable interface for devices so you shouldn't expect them to work across platforms. Even if they actively try to achieve compatibility like Microsoft does then they aren't likely to consider Blackberry devices and unlike other apps, there's no point in a web interface.
    03-28-15 02:55 PM
    Since the subject title is generic, I'd just like to add that the Razer Nabu X works as a fitness band with 10.3.1.x, but not as a notification band. The latest Android apps, Nabu X Utility and Nabu Fitness, can be found in the 1mobile store.
    03-28-15 03:29 PM
    There isn't any standard wearable interface for devices so you shouldn't expect them to work across platforms. Even if they actively try to achieve compatibility like Microsoft does then they aren't likely to consider Blackberry devices and unlike other apps, there's no point in a web interface.
    The issue is not that there isn't a standard wearable interface. When wearable device makers decide to support a particular mobile OS, they create an app- not a standard interface. Since BlackBerry 10 devices support Android apps, the wearable devices should work with the apps installed on our devices. But more often than not, they don't. If I had a Samsung Galaxy or an HTC (not that I want one), or some other full Android device, the app would work fine and be able to communicate with the wearable device.

I have no problems at all with my Rhapsody and Pandora apps. Both stream music to my car stereo flawlessly using Bluetooth. Other Android apps that communicate with external devices also work. When it comes to wearables, the typically won't connect, stay connected, or sync when connected. That frustrates me and it should get fixed.

The Microsoft Band costs $200 and I'd like to use it.

Posted via CB10
    Mike Bailey6 likes this.
    03-28-15 05:35 PM
    Since the subject title is generic, I'd just like to add that the Razer Nabu X works as a fitness band with 10.3.1.x, but not as a notification band. The latest Android apps, Nabu X Utility and Nabu Fitness, can be found in the 1mobile store.
    That's good to know. I'll look that one up.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 05:36 PM
    You still can use the Microsoft band - at least as a fitness band.

I'm also in the same boat with my Z10 - pairs with the band, but the app (sideloaded) doesn't see it to sync with.

Well you can use the desktop app to sync. So if all you're interested in is fitness tracking, and not necessarily sync on the go with your BlackBerry, then it's usable.

I was pretty sure of that kind of functionality before I bought my Microsoft Band - and sure, it would be more ideal to be able to use the Android version of the Microsoft health app (seems it's deemed as not compatible with my Android tablet) but although robbing me of the chance of some additional configuration settings for the band (tiles and the like) I can use it as a fitness tracker, and get sync because I've got the app on my Windows 8.1 laptop, and it syncs when plugged in.
    04-19-15 12:17 PM
    Since you mentioned Garmin, I just wanted to share my experience with my garmin vivosmart( similar to the vivovit). I got mine last September and I've had very few issues . The Android version of Garmin Connect works well on my z10. (10.3.1). Steps, sleep tracking and my activities all get synced. Though at times I have to sync it twice to get the activities synced.
    Someone on the forum also worked on a third party app to get notifications pushed to the band. I did try that but I personally do not use the notifications features of the vivosmart.
    Too bad you couldn't get the vivofit to work with the z30.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 12:42 PM
    My Fibit Flex works great on my devices. Been using it since January.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.2.500 / Telus
    04-19-15 12:54 PM
    Hi everyone. I got the Microsoft band to work by using a Kindle Fire HDX to initially set it up and sync it. Each day, I sync the band using my HDX. When I open the Microsoft Health app on my Passport, I am able to see the data that was last synced using the Kindle Fire (it pulls in the data from the cloud), but I'm still unable to directly sync to the Passport. I've tried deleting the Bluetooth association with the Kindle Fire and instead pair it with my Passport, but it never syncs.

Oh well...I'm hoping a future version of the Passport will in fact play nicely with ALL of the wearable on the market. We deserve it!

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 09:34 PM
    I think all I meant to point out, is just that - just because you don't have a phone / tablet app to use with the Microsoft band, doesn't mean you can't use it for the fitness and sleep side of things, anyway. If you have a Windows or Mac desktop or laptop, you should be able to use the desktop / laptop app to at least sync and do some config (you can update the firmware this way, for example).

Without the phone app, you don't get as much opportuinity to configure / personalise the band - with the desktop app, you can change the colour and wallpaper, for example, but you can't do anything with customising the tiles - you need a phone / tablet app for that.

I don't think all the smart-watch type functionality comes without a phone app - but to be honest, I'm on the fence about that anyway. I bought it for the fitness monitoring side of things, and knowing that the app wouldn't work on my Z10.

It's irritating, I'll grant you - but then there's no official fitbit support on the Z10 either - although the fitbit app works if you either sideload it, or install it from the Amazon store. In contrast, if you bought an Apple watch, what other phone platforms could you use?
    04-20-15 03:43 AM
    The Desktop app provides some functionality that allows you to use the band without the phone app. However, if Microsoft gave the desktop app as much functionality as the phone apps such as allowing you to manage the tiles or download guided workouts (minus the text notifications and caller ID), then it wouldn't matter so much that you can't pair to the phone.

I've made this comment on the MS Band feedback website. Here is the link: Microsoft Health and Microsoft Band: Desktop Apps (1 idea) ? Microsoft Health and Microsoft Band. Ideas can be voted on with the idea that the higher the votes the more chance there is that MS will follow that suggestion. So go to the suggestion and vote! Maybe that will help remove or reduce the reliance on a phone.
    04-22-15 03:43 PM