This is my attempt at creating a unified thread to help users who are running the latest OS (currently 1925) get all the relevant and important information when it comes to installing android apps, making them work and running them without issues on your BB10 device.

What you need to know:

About the new OS:

If you upgraded to the official version OTA, and your android apps are not installing, reload these 2 android runtime bars using Sachesi or any sideloading method you prefer:
    http://cdn.fs.sl.blackberry.com/fs/q...-v7+signed.bar
    AND
    http://cdn.fs.sl.blackberry.com/fs/q...-v7+signed.bar

About apps:

-Android apps are installed using APK files, these apk files can be found hosted on the net or through the use of an android app store.
    -Most android apps run flawlessly on the 1925 OS, notifications are pushed though to the hub in a basic manner and some of them can even run headless.
    -Apk files can be deleted after installing the app.

BEFORE TRYING TO INSTALL ANY APPS MAKE SURE YOU DO THE FOLLOWING:

1. Go to settings and select App Manager
    2. Select installing apps
    3. Turn allow apps from other sources to be installed on.

If this is not done, you won't be able to install any android apps.

App safety:

Android apps can access certain permissions on your device that you may not want to approve. It will ask you for these permissions when you install the app, use your better judgement at this point and get yourself an android antivirus to scan your apk files just to be safe. This should not be a problem when downloading from BB10Store(Mentioned below) as all apps on there have been tested by us.

About Notifications:

Notifications can be very annoying, especially if the app sends them out every 5 seconds and makes your phone vibrate endlessly.
    So here's a fix for the apps that mercilessly attack you with endless notifications:

1. Download Ghost Commander from BlackBerry world .
    2. In the app click on "Applications".
    3. Go to the app you want to hide the notifications for.
    4. Long press on it and click manage.
    5. Untick the show notifications box and choose okay.

That should do it.

About Games:

Many top quality games are running great as of the latest OS, this includes Dead Trigger 2, Chaos Rings 2, Most of the Final Fantasy series, Deus Ex: The Fall and many more, refer to this games list to see what we have tested so far as well as any information you need on games: http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ctions-887888/

Note: Gameloft games are giving allot of problems and very few of them are working at this time.

About SD Data(obb files):

Some apps(especially games) require extra data to run, this is usually downloaded automatically when starting up the app, unfortunately this process is broken in BB10 due to the lack of the play store. Because of this the apps can't access their location to download these resources from.

A workaround to this is to either find your obb data from somewhere on the net, or to use BB10store(Mentioned bellow) to download those apps. BB10store works within the Aptoide app store, this store is unique because it downloads the obb data as well and not just the apk files like other stores. It also places these obb files for you in the correct folders where they should go. This is the most convenient method in my opinion.

If you choose to download the obb data for your apps yourself, you can get it from sites like Apkmania, Andropalace, etc.
    Place your downloaded obb data in this directory on your device: misc/android/Android/obb
    (This path is case sensitive. What is capitalized should be capitalized, what isn't, shouldn't be.)

Where to get apps:

About updating apps

Here's a tricky one. Apps can be updated from any store, but you have to be aware that many updates WILL break your app. There are a few apps where the newest version just does not work, so be sure to keep an old apk handy if you choose to update from stores like snap.

You can however update any app in BB10Store without worries as all the updates that are uploaded are working on BB10.

Google Play Services:

Here is one of the last remaining problems that keeps us from having full access to android apps on BB10.
    I'll try and keep this as simple as possible.
    -Yes, you can install play services and run apps like Google Maps, Google Play music and Gmail.
    -Yes, you can log into your google account in these apps.
    -No, not all of them work. Some apps will give you a notice that your device does not support google play services and some will just crash without notice.
    The reason for the above is that our devices have a stub installed on the root level of the device(Which is impossible to access at this time) which is in the place of the google services framework, this is required to run many apps including the google play store itself.

Thankfully some members here on Crackberry have worked on patches for the apks to remove these dependencies and allow some more of these apps to run on our devices.

Here's how you get play services working:
    - So the first thing you should do is to download and install Play and Login services found here: ownCloud
    - Open the App you want to login from i.e. Google Maps and then choose login from there. It will invoke Google Login Services and allow you to enter your existing Google Account information. (Fixed thanks to Cobalt232)
    - Now you have play services installed, but unfortunately without gsf, we still won't be able to run all apps with play store dependencies. Luckily thanks to the script that can be downloaded from this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-an...orking-862184/ , we can remove the dependencies for play services and maps and allow even more of these apps to work.

Also check out this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-an...t-apps-866259/

Note: This unfortunately does not work for all apps.

Can't find the app you need? Request it here:

You can request apks in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/android...quests-873611/
    Or you can request for us to upload it to BB10Store here: http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ptoide-892140/

A few more notable threads to check out:

-http://forums.crackberry.com/android...access-872705/
    -http://forums.crackberry.com/android...stores-873637/
    -http://forums.crackberry.com/android...-skype-893927/

Frequently asked questions

Coming soon...

Thanks for reading! Hope this helped get everything together a bit, there is still much I want to add to this post, I'll update it as soon as I find more useful info. If you know of anything I have missed please tell me and I'll add it to this thread!
    Last edited by Azrae49; 02-04-14 at 01:04 PM.
    zocster, nappp, KidCaboose and 7 others like this.
    01-29-14 05:06 AM
    Nice, thanks for the info.
    01-29-14 05:35 AM
    For those of you unable to install android apps after the official update, here's how to fix it, reload the android runtime bars from this thread using Sachesi:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-bars-896769/

Posted via CB10
    Aishwarya Jiva likes this.
    01-29-14 06:50 AM
    With Google Maps, it won't load or let me set any of my locations. When starting the Play Store, I keep getting a "No Connection." What does that mean? I've installed all four files from the "Own Cloud" link above.
    01-30-14 09:48 AM
    Which means back to square one. I keep reading it will be a piece of cake to download android apps after the OS update and all I find is unbelievably lengthy instructions telling me that most of the apps will not work one way or the other.
    Back to my S4. Bye bye Z10

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 11:30 AM
    Which means back to square one. I keep reading it will be a piece of cake to download android apps after the OS update and all I find is unbelievably lengthy instructions telling me that most of the apps will not work one way or the other.
    Back to my S4. Bye bye Z10

Posted via CB10
    See ya. Enjoy your S4. Most apps work great, games are when you get into taking chances some won't work. If you do keep it, have patience and keep reading. All the answers are there if you keep looking and put the work in

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 01:46 PM
    How do I install a paid app (apk) from Google play? Many people have this question. It has to be possible. I don't own any android devices. Thanks. Everything else is working great. Even the WEMO app.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 04:37 PM
    I'm leaving for a festival in a few minutes and won't be back till Monday so I'll try and answer all your questions as well as possible.

For your google maps issue, did you login to login services before starting the app? And also which version of maps are you using?
    Did you read up on this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-an...t-apps-866259/ ? You can find a working version of maps there.

Back to square one...Not exactly. Google apps will give trouble until the day we are given the GSF, so until then, don't expect perfect use of google apps, they aren't even supposed to run yet, we've been lucky enough to get a few working, most non-gapps apps work perfectly though.

Paid apps..Tricky one if you don't have an android device, your options are using Amazon App Store to purchase the apps from your device, or you can try from the Google play website, not sure if it works, but it shows the option to purchase, then after purchasing your app, either using the chrome extension to leech the files from google play or by obtaining the files somewhere else. If you need help getting OBB data for a game or app to work, let me know.
    01-31-14 03:46 AM
    Thanks for the info. I downloaded your package for setting up Google Play Services, followed the included instructions, and had Ingress up and running in less then 5 minutes.
    01-31-14 09:23 AM
    Thanks for the info. I downloaded your package for setting up Google Play Services, followed the included instructions, and had Ingress up and running in less then 5 minutes.
    Music to my ears

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 02:10 PM
    I'm having trouble with an Olympus camera remote control app called Ois (for Olympus Image Share). Basically the cameras builtin wifi acts as a wifi network server that I can see in my z10 wifi settings. I can connect with the password fine and camera detects the connection. App launches but keeps saying not connected to camera.

I have a support ticket out to Olympus but I'm sure once they find out I'm using BlackBerry they will leave me hanging.

Suggestions in what I should be looking at adjusting or installing?

Thx

Flicked out via Zed10
    01-31-14 08:46 PM
    Hi Azrae49

Thanks for your guide. I believe it will help some people to get past the most common problems. But may I ask you to correct the procedure for logging in to Google Login Services dependent apps?

The following procedure does not work and it should not be done this way:
    "Then on your device, open "Google Account" and Login, this will allow you to login to apps such as Maps and Play Music."

Do NOT open Google Account (aka Google Login Services) directly to login. The Google Account App is normally not visible on a Android Device. It only has a Icon on Blackberry, because of the patching I did to it. It is not meant to be opened directly. If you try to do so, you will not be able to enter existing account information. You will only be able to create a new account, and in most cases this is definitely not what you want to do.

So the correct way to login is:
    Open the App you want to login from i.e. Google Maps and then choose login from there. It will invoke Google Login Services and allow you to enter your existing Google Account information.

regards and keep up the good work!
    02-04-14 10:12 AM
    Hi Azrae49

Thanks for your guide. I believe it will help some people to get past the most common problems. But may I ask you to correct the procedure for logging in to Google Login Services dependent apps?

The following procedure does not work and it should not be done this way:
    "Then on your device, open "Google Account" and Login, this will allow you to login to apps such as Maps and Play Music."

Do NOT open Google Account (aka Google Login Services) directly to login. The Google Account App is normally not visible on a Android Device. It only has a Icon on Blackberry, because of the patching I did to it. It is not meant to be opened directly. If you try to do so, you will not be able to enter existing account information. You will only be able to create a new account, and in most cases this is definitely not what you want to do.

So the correct way to login is:
    Open the App you want to login from i.e. Google Maps and then choose login from there. It will invoke Google Login Services and allow you to enter your existing Google Account information.

regards and keep up the good work!
    Thanks for telling me! I will update the thread. Haven't loaded google services in quite a while so sorry for the mistake.

Thank you for the feedback, unfortunately my z10 is apparently beyond repair according to the shop, because of rain damage. I'm working on getting a new one, but it might be a while, I'll still be keeping my threads up to date though as far as possible.
    02-04-14 12:46 PM
    I'm having trouble with an Olympus camera remote control app called Ois (for Olympus Image Share). Basically the cameras builtin wifi acts as a wifi network server that I can see in my z10 wifi settings. I can connect with the password fine and camera detects the connection. App launches but keeps saying not connected to camera.

I have a support ticket out to Olympus but I'm sure once they find out I'm using BlackBerry they will leave me hanging.

Suggestions in what I should be looking at adjusting or installing?

Thx

Flicked out via Zed10
    I would test it for you but as I've mentioned I'm still struggling to get hold of a new device, post in the thread in my signature and I'm sure you'll quickly get help there and they would even upload a working apk for you if they find one.
    02-04-14 12:48 PM
    With Google Maps, it won't load or let me set any of my locations. When starting the Play Store, I keep getting a "No Connection." What does that mean? I've installed all four files from the "Own Cloud" link above.
    To use starred places in Google Maps you must uninstall GooglePlay Services. Then it will work.
    02-06-14 01:45 PM
    If I delete an .apk file from my downloads folder will the app still be installed on my device?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 12:12 PM
    If I delete an .apk file from my downloads folder will the app still be installed on my device?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. The apk is no longer needed. You can choose to keep it or move it for a future installation or delete it to get space back

Posted via CB10
    captainbdsc likes this.
    03-26-14 12:24 PM
    Not everything.

I've been wondering why BlackBerry icons look bigger at 114x114 than Android icons at 200x200. I can imagine there being some kind of boundary but it's annoying considering the Z10 screen resolution. Is there a workaround?
    03-26-14 12:37 PM
    Yes. The apk is no longer needed. You can choose to keep it or move it for a future installation or delete it to get space back

Posted via CB10
    Awesome! thanks
    03-26-14 12:37 PM
    On my Z10, it seems that my android apps cannot make any wifi or Internet connection.

Is this a known issue ?

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2234

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 03:22 PM
    Sharing a great tutorial about android apps on BB10 and after read this tutorial but apps still face some problems like Wi-Fi or Internet connection and speed etc.....
    Is that known issue on BB10...
    04-01-14 07:38 AM