Sorry if this has been addressed before - didn't find anything when I did a quick search.
    What I'd like to know is this: Quite often I'm getting notifications in the hub that I have several updates awaiting me in the 1Mobile store (where I've gotten most of my Android Apps from). To name a few, I see updates for Skype, Kindle and 8tracks. Thing is, I originally downloaded these from BB World. I'm guessing they're obviously ports. Looking at the software versions, the Android ones from 1Mobile are more recent releases than the ported ones from BB World.
    So what I'd like to know is, if I go ahead and update those apps with the newer Android versions, does it have any affect on how they appear in BB World (meaning, will BB World still recognise them as ported apps, or are they just replaced with APKs?).

Posted via CB10
    06-04-14 06:41 AM
    Yes. Android ports in BBW almost never get updated. Poynt and Ebay are two I just mentioned in another thread that haven't been updated since their initial appearance almost a year ago, yet both have more recent updates everywhere else. Ebay has gone through a bunch of updates since showing up in BBW, but the port is still very old. The ones you get outside of BBW are updated more often and you can actually update them as needed.

If you want to update a port to a more current regular android version, you have to delete it, then reload it from the other source.

If you get your apps through Snap, you'll see even more updates, as those in Google Play get updated first. Non-Google Play android app stores get them next - probably the Amazon App store would be next in line, with all the third party stores getting them last.

Posted via CB10
    Pmungus likes this.
    06-04-14 10:58 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply. I thought it would be the case that the ported apps would see little love after release.
    Last question : Is there a difference in how the ported apps run on BB10 (are they more "stable" or run more smoothly than the APKs?). Is there a benefit to overall performance of my Z10 to keeping an earlier release of a ported app than updating them to their newer Android versions?

Posted via CB10
    06-04-14 02:19 PM
    I've only tried a few apps both as a port and straight android. I didn't notice any difference.

Speaking of updates... eBay just showed another update in Snap, so that's like...maybe, 6 updates since last August when the current version in BBW first appeared.

Posted via CB10
    Pmungus likes this.
    06-04-14 03:49 PM
    I've just gone and contacted the developers of some of these apps via BlackBerry World, to ask if there were any plans for future updates. Replies are slowly starting to trickle in, and for the most part the answer is............. No.
    Based on the problem (actual or perceived) that right now, there is not the demand or support to warrant the effort involved.
    I wonder what arbitrary figure they have in mind before they decide the numbers are great enough?
    Oh well...

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 08:28 PM